Question What fixtures to use for floating wall on dry lined wall?

stevied3268

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm looking to build a floating wall in the living room after having a refurb (DIY thread to follow). The wall is dry lined and recently been skimmed nice and straight. Whilst I have bought 4 rigifix bolts for the TV bracket, what do you recommend I use to fix the timber battens to the wall?

I have looked at a few other threads, but they don't mention the wall being dry lined walls that the floating wall is going on to. Are these suitable?

http://www.screwfix.com/p/multi-fix...liateWindow-_-Sub+Networks-_-DeepLink-_-78888

Find the studs behind the original dry lined wall, and mount the new timbers onto those studs to then mount the new floating surface on to. When you make the floating surface integrate a layer of ply to mount the TV bracket on to, or make sure you make allowance for a fixing in your design somehow

The above depends on if the wall is stud or dot n dab. For the best advice the OP really needs to state what the wall construction is.

If it's dot and dab replace find the original studs with use really long fixings haha

Hi all, thanks for the suggestions. Its dot and dab, plasterboard 10-15mm cavity and then brick wall. There are no studs. I realise as parrish mentioned that I can mount the tv with drylinepro's and I have rigifix bolts to do just that, but isn't that a bit overkill to fix the timber frame to the wall? Plus it will cost a fortune as I recon ill need a good 50+ screws to fix the frame to the wall.

You could use screws and rawl plugs. What I've done in the past is to drill the holes, knock the rawplugs into the brickwork using the screws, then remove the screws. Now pump the holes full of cheap forget nails mastic. Then screw your battens on, but don't over do it. The mastic will set hard after a few days, screws can be nipped up and it should make for a sturdy fixing.

Thanks Ronski. I want it as tidy/quick as possible so unless there is another alternative it looks like Ill have to go down the dryline pro route. From scouting around you can get a 50 pack for £30 which I'm happy to pay. I'm not sure whether 70mm is long enough though taking into account the timber, plasterboard and cavity thicknesses I suspect it will only leave 15-20mm in the actual brick which is slightly concerning.

You'll need more than 15 to 20mm in the brick work. If you want a quick solution use some injection resin instead of forget nails, but it does set really quick and is expensive.

50 to 60mm in the brick will be fine.

Thanks Ronski. How many screws would an average floating wall require? I was thinking 3 for each vertical batten which will be about 1.5m (top, middle and bottom) and around 5 for each horizontal batten which will be about 2.4m. I'm assuming the supporting noggins can just be normal wood screws?

That sounds about right. I assume for the noggins you mean where they join the main parts, normal wood screws will be ok for these joints.

That sounds about right. I assume for the noggins you mean where they join the main parts, normal wood screws will be ok for these joints.

Yes sorry I meant the little supports in between the main structure to make it more secure.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom