1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What First Camcorder?! Help.

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by Starnzy, Aug 22, 2003.

1. Starnzy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:

I am planning on buying my first camcorder real soon and really can't decide which to get so was hoping for a bit of help from you guys. Originally I was looking at either the Sony TRV22 or TRV33, but since then I have seen the Panasonic NVGS50B and NVDS65B.

Firstly, what's the difference between those 2 Panasonics (I'm not clued up on the technical aspects of camcorders so don't really know what Im looking for on the spec)?

I read a review in What Camcorder a month or two ago on the Sony TRV33 and it was really highly rated, how does it compare with the Panasonics? Does one make generally have better video quality than the other?

My requirements are basically:
    - It will be mostly used in snowy conditions, for snowboarding footage, although occasional low light footage may be required (indoor snowdomes).

- I don't care AT ALL about the stills capability of the camera as I will be buying a seperate stills camera, so it's purely for footage.

- Ideally, it doesn't want to be too flimsy, i.e. it will be carried around in rucksack on the mountain and whilst I wont be doing jumps etc whilst carrying it around, it'd need to be relatively robust.

- It will need to have all the functions possible for sending footage to my PC for editing, and allow me to output onto normal VHS sometimes would be handy.

They are my main requirements of it. I think something with a manual focus would also be handy sometimes for keeping focus on fast moving objects.

Any suggestions on which of the above cameras are likely to be best for me? ANy help much appareciated!!

Thanks a lot