What films to Demo Projectors with?

DarrenH

Established Member
Reaction score
:hiya:

I am looking for advice as to which films you would all use to demo two projectors with...

The projectors are the Infocus Screenplay 4805 and the Pany 700AE.

We enjoy a wide range of films.. Sci Fi, Comedy, Disney, Drama, .. pretty much everything! So taking some films I like might get cumbersome :laugh:

Anyway, any suggestions greatfully welcomed...

My test disc are as follows

Moulan Rouge, Wonderfull colours and fast paced movements

Hunted- In my opinion the best dvd picture i have seen.

Attack of the clones, do i need to say anything.

The fast and the furious, I use this mainly for the bright colours of the cars and the great skin tones.

Blade II- Good for testing black detail.

And last but not least Troy, LOTR EE TFOTR and TTT._ wounderfull for testing detail and sharpness. I.e battle scenes with loads of object and movement.

p.s. the lion king is a good disc if your into cartoons.

Dc

"Love Actually" is good on a PJ. Lots of flesh tones :D

The first film i watched on my new ae700 was Troy and it blew me away,unbeliveable picture.

I would take Super Speedway IMAX Dvd.

Has great pictures, and lots of moving images to test projector.

B.

Would dark city (or something similar) be good for testing blacks (greys!) as there are certainly plently of dark scenes in that.

Gladiator..................... :smashin:

Has everything, from the opening battle scenes, great for shadow detail etc. to the gladiatorial scenes in v.bright sunshine later.... very challenging stuff.

The fact that the movie is eye-candy helps.........

Sean G.

I own a 4805 and the only movie I have watched so far that I have noticed the rainbow problem on was the beginning of Van Helsing where it is not in colour, but in a kind of sepia B&W. In these opening scenes, I could clearly see rainbow flashes and it was most annoying. On no other movie have I seen them, so I would suggest you take this along for the 4805 and if you cannot see any on this movie, then you'll not see them on any movie !!!
Basically, avoid the Shrek, Finding Nemo kind of stuff as EVERY projector looks good showing these type movie. Take something with fast moving scenes( motion artifacts), dark scenes( contrast/detail), bright scenes(pixelation) and outdoor scenes ( accurate colour rendition).
Blade is good for the dark scenes and Gladiator is good for the rest !!

I agree with Sean G - Gladiator is tops for me when testing any kit.

Other suggestions for things such as blacks/contrast would be Master and Commander, especially the first few scenes in almost pitch black darkness bar a candlelight. If those aren't greyed out then you're onto a winner in the contrast area.

I'd also agree with the suggestion of Troy, as it just showed me how well spent my cash was on the ae700 I just got!

Monsters Inc is a good one, as is Finding Nemo, as the underwater scenes seem to show up Vertical Banding if a PJ suffers (luckily mine doesn't - it was one of the first discs I put in)

Down With Love is a pretty colourful movie, lots of bright blocks of colour and lots of fleshtones. Nice romcom too.

I'd put my money into the ae700 any day due to suffering from rainbows. LCD means that I'll never have that problem, and neither may any rainbow sensitive guests. We like to have movie nights with friends.

Good luck with your 'auditioning', let us know how it goes.

Fight Club is one of my favourite tester discs and tests dark scenes pretty well.

"Dark City"

A tough film on any video display.

"The Missing"

First chapter, Cate Blanchett sitting in a dark outhouse with bright daylight coming through vertical slats. Great for demonstrating colour separation, i.e. Rainbows

Jeff :rtfm:

Perhaps not easy and practical to arrange, but any HiDef material would IMHO be very good material to compare at a high level.

If you are checking for rainbows then take a black and white film and then turn on the subtitles.

Just watched tears of the sun,the dark scenes looked excellent,the ae700 seems to be getting better the more i use it.

First of all, thanks for all your suggestions..

I took Moulin Rouge, Lion King, Fifth Element (My all time favourite), Lord of the Rings and Troy.

1. I found that I was not susceptable to the rainbow effect - good
2. I felt the DLP based 4805 gave a more enjoyable (fuller colours) picture in Lord of the Rings.
3. The brightness of the LCD meant that, in my opinion, it produced a nicer, cleaner image on the more brightly coloured films.
4. There was quite a bit of noise on the DLP image.
5. I could hardly see any LCD structure on the image from the Pany.
6. Enjoyed myself.
7. Not sure which way to go, but leaning towards the Pany.

Has anyone any views on how the Pany 700 compares to the 500? Also, I have seen the Yamaha LPX500 for £1500 - any good?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom