1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What films are available in 6.1 and 7.1?

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Grand Dizzy, May 7, 2005.

1. Grand Dizzy

Grand Dizzy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    There doesn't seem to be that many. Is there a list somewhere?

I ask because I'm buying a 7.1 speaker system and I want to have a movie to try the speakers out on!

2. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,863
    Hi Dizzy,

If you want DTS6.1 films, then you're going to have to import mainly US discs, as I can't think of many UK discs with such a sound format on them. "Gladiator" does have a 6.1 DTS track on both the UK and US versions. "Seven" has a 6.1 track on the US 2-disc Special Edition release.

As for 7.1, I can't think of any DVD's that have such a soundtrack. In fact, I don't even know if such a DTS sound format is available for home viewing at all.

Your best bet would be to do a keyword search, looking for lists of DTS soundtracks or DVD's.

Pooch

3. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
    Ratings:
    +76
    the R2 films in 6.1 i have are All the LOTR EE's, Blade 2, Austin Powers in Goldmember ermm im pretty sure something else but will have to check

4. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +768
    Gladiator R2 is only DTS 6.1 matrix... so not true 6.1.
    Gladiator R1 is DTS 6.1 Discrete, and the better for it!

5. dubledene

dubledene

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well actually there arent any 7.1 films out there there all 6.1 films that have the rear surround split from 1 channel to 2! AFAIK

6. Grand Dizzy

Grand Dizzy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Oh yeah, I forgot that there is no true 7.1!

I don't buy region 1 films, so it has to be region 2.

Are there any more other than LOTR EEs, Blade 2 and Austin Powers in Goldmember?

7. lurker75

lurker75

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Star Wars trilogy, the Star Wars prequels... urm I think Terminator 2 is? urm I'm sure there are literally tons more I just can't think of them off the top of my head.

You shouldn't limit yourself to just region 2 as all too often there's a better version elsewhere in the world.

8. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +768
    The Star Wars films, and Terminator 2 are all 5.1 EX or ES. None of them are 6.1.
    I think the main R2 ones that are true 6.1 (and there's only a few) have been mentioned, i.e. The Lord Of The Rings Trilogy (Extended Editions Only), Blade II, Goldmember. I think Final Destination 2 is aswell.

9. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    the dolby and DTS websites should have a full list of material that carries the formats DTS defo has....but why not join the the MR revolution, cheaper discs, better discs, quicker releases and lots more 6.1....

10. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
  11. edinburgh160

edinburgh160

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    why no R1 discs, you should invest in a new player (if possible) and take advantage. Is there no hack or chip available to you for your existing model ?

12. Grand Dizzy

Grand Dizzy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks guys!

I can play any region. (I hate region-locked players!)

I don't buy R1 movies because it's lower resolution. I'm a bit of a quality freak and I like everything to be as hi-res as it can possibly be! The only time I buy a R1 movie is when it's higher resolution than R2, which sometimes happens when the R2 version is letterboxed, and the R1 version is anamorphic (like The Professional).

I also choose R1 for all American TV series that were shot on videotape (Fresh Prince of Bel Air for example). I do that because the R2 version has been converted to PAL resolution and framerate, so you lose a lot of quality. Everything looks blurry (like what they show on TV). And that won't do for me.

Yeah, I know I'm OTT about quality, but it's just the way I am! Nobody buys me DVDs as presents anymore because I usually end up having to take it back and get a different region! I get so ****** off about it! :nono:

I probably care more about resolution than most people because I'm a computer artist/designer, so everything I do all day related to resolution! I'm a little obsessed, probably.

13. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +768
    I could be wrong here, but I think your decision of avoiding R1 on the basis of resolution may be a mistake.

Some films, for example The Fifith Element, are so vastly superior on R1 that you'd be forgiven for thinking the R2 was a pirate copy... and they are both anamorphic. They aren't always produced from the same master and it can make a huge difference.

Also, and this point maybe irrelevant depending on your display device, the native resolution of your display device is important.
    Some displays native resolution is a better match for NTSC material and negates the need for complex scaling. Despite the fact the PAL version may contain more lines of resolution, the scaling in your display may upset the balance to favour NTSC.

Like many people on here, I'm also very fussy about picture quality and resolution. I believe you may be missing out in your approach to R2 exclusive material. It isn't as simple as that.

14. Prism666

Prism666

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    LotR EE, Blade II, Blade Trinity EE, Se7en (2 disc release though doesn't say it on the box) are all 6.1 DTS-ES Discrete and I have all these on R2

If you want matrixed 6.1 (which I bet most people can't tell from discrete 6.1 - me included) you have more choice from all the star wars films, monsters inc and other pixar films in DD EX

I also find that my receiver will generate sound for the 2 rear speakers from any dolby digital 5.1 source just to fill out the room and claim that it is DD EX, whereas on a 5.1 DTS soundtrack it sticks with 5.1 and the rear speakers are quiet - unless you also use neo 6 but thats a different matter

Out of all of these the best soundtrack is probably Return of the King but the best use of the rear channel is probably Blade II

15. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Daft question but if that is the case why bother with DVD? surely D-VHS and HD material would be worth the extra?

16. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    perhaps now you're getting your new av receiver, you'll end up being as obsessed about your sound as you are about your picture, which means you'll appreciate that R1 discs don't have their soundtracks running 4% faster than they're supposed to ;)

17. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
    Ratings:
    +76
    near enough all of the new releases i have are all R1 and R3. as said above cheaper and sooner and pic quality generally is better. i scale up NTSC to 1280x720 and its awesome given a good transfer. only bad one ive seen recently was Elektra but that was all round hump any ways :D but id hump miss garner so it was bareable

18. Grand Dizzy

Grand Dizzy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for that, Prism!

I knew the compression was higher on R2, but I never realised there could be a huge difference in transfer between the two regions! If that is the case then I can't keep going on the simple rule that R2 is better, since resolution is nowhere near as important as the overall transfer quality.

One problem though is how do you know what the transfer is going to be like before you buy it? Surely there could be no way to know which looked better other than to buy both and take the inferior one back? And sending R1 discs back to America is not something I want to be doing on a regular basis! Jules, how do you decide which region to buy from?

I know exactly what you're talking about. Half the plasmas on the UK market are optimised for NTSC because America and Japan rule the world! My TV however is 1024 lines, so quite capable of showing 576 lines to a fairly high definition. If — for some reason — I did have a 480-line plasma, I would never buy anything from R2, since it would look utterly inferior to R1 on it, especially if the material originated from an NTSC country (the whole thing would be scaled up and then down again!).

Interesting! As far as I was aware, there is nothing on the market with higher definition than DVD. If the successor to DVD has arrived, why is it not big news? I'm not going to start buying movies in a format that isn't mainstream because it's likely the format will die, and my videos will be obsolete. Yes, I care a lot about picture quality, but I don't want to use outdated technology, and I don't want to have two different video players under my TV!

I will look up the formats you mentioned though, it's definitely interesting, and exciting! I can't wait for there to be a higher definition replacement to DVD. I hope it comes sooner rather than later because I don't want to buy too many DVDs and then find that they need replacing. I know people who owned a lot of VHS tapes before DVD came along, and they were left with a massive collection of unwanted tapes! I don't want to be in that position with DVDs!

I rememer having an argument with someone on a forum about 2 years ago who insisted that DVD will never be superseded, and that no matter how large screens got, nobody would want to replace their video collection just for the sake of a little higher resolution. Maybe that is true, but I would like to hope not! And now Sky have announced they're doing HDTV, that dream seems a little closer: as HDTV becomes more mainstream, surely people will start to want video that matches their TV pictures?

Well, I am already obsessed with sound quality! But for me, having high resolution is way more important than having accurate pitch. Way more!

Okay, I didn't mention this earlier but I also make an exception when it comes to my favourite musicals: I buy them in R1 too. I'll admit that I can't bear the thought of hearing my favourite songs sang a semitone too high. But outside of musicals, I simply don't care about people's voices being a little higher. It doesn't bother me and I don't notice it. And as for the action, I don't think it is humanly possible to visually see the increased speed in a R2 film. (Other than looking at your watch after the film ends and seeing you have 5 minutes free that you weren't expecting!)

Besides which, I know that it can't be much longer before someone makes a DVD player that will play region 2 DVDs at the correct speed. I mean, how difficult can it be to get the disc to play at 24fps instead of 25fps? I take comfort in the knowledge that the film is on the disc, but I just can't play it at the correct speed yet. I'm just about to buy a new DVD player (after a few years) and I was REALLY hoping that there would be some speed-correcting ones on the market. But it doesn't seem like there is :(

19. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    HD content is not official in Europe UK yet but for 3-4 years films on D-VHS (1080i YPbPr analogue) format have been available in the US and HD movies can be downloaded from the internet (some legally......) You'll need a D-Theatre Deck from US, for D-VHS, (can import one personally) or order one in the UK already imported (costs more) JVC now do one with HDMI!!!!!
    Or just build a super duper HTPC and download it all...

20. Grand Dizzy

Grand Dizzy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    When I first heard about DVD players, I didn't rush out and start buying DVDs. I waited a few years until they were really mainstream. Admittedly, I was one of the first to buy a DVD player, but they sold them in the shops, so that was mainstream enough for me. I have never seen the formats you mentioned on sale in the shops, which is why I'm sceptical.

21. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    that means you have never seen the quality they offer either........try a search for D-VHS/D-Theatre. And just cause curries dont sell it doesnt mean it will obselet in 2-3 years D-VHS is 6 or 7 years old!!!!!

22. Grand Dizzy

Grand Dizzy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'll do a search, thanks.

If they don't even sell players in this country, then I'm definitely going to wait a lot longer. Although 1080i sounds absolutely lovely and I'm already extemely excited about it.

Thanks for the info, Dragon!

23. Grand Dizzy

Grand Dizzy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    EEEewwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!

Sorry, but no. Just no! Apparently DVHS is a tape format!

No!

Just no!

[shudder]

Words can't describe how repulsed I feel at the idea of buying video tapes. I've spent my whole life waiting for video to be on discs and hating tapes. No way am I going back to those days!

:)

24. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
  25. Grand Dizzy

Grand Dizzy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Sorry, I just hate tape! The main thing is it's sequential, so there's no skipping around. Presumably you can't have menus on a D-VHS tape, which will seem like a big step backwards to most people. But also it's physically big and heavy and clunky, not like a cool little disc. Also it's a lot easier to break/damage. Tapes are magnetic, so you can't put them anywhere near anything electrical or magnetic like speakers. And they're prone to degradation — way more than discs. They get dust on them and the dust gets into the player and you need to clean it. Yuck!

Sorry, but this is not the format for me. I'm sure many will love it but I'm waiting for some kind of solid-state DVD replacement such as discs or cartridges. Or perhaps everything will be downloaded in the not-too-distant future and there will be no more media? (I for one would welcome that.)

26. JBL 4645

JBL 4645
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    7.1 well there is SDDS 8 Sony Dynamic Digital Sound, though not commercially available to the consumer yet, there are ways around to make your home cinema sound different, -like my chief projectionist said to me many years ago… In this industry you have to think like a projectionist…

So if you what the sound of music to sound like five-screen channel then you will need to use the pre-outputs on the AVR only and some Dolby pro-logic processor decoders to extract the information from channels left and centre and right and centre…to produce left center and right centre, WOW yes it does work very neat in deed…

And if you what upper centre channel like they have in the IMAX cinemas the voice of god…loudspeaker as it is called, then a third Dolby pro-logic processor will be needed and plugged with left and right from AVR going into it then the left and right going to the usual positions to the amplifiers and the center channel pre-output from the Dolby pro-logic going to an amplifier, place the upper center channel up high some two feet or more and angle it downwards to the seating…

And place EQ in-line for all channels and if possible use active electronic crossovers as passive ones suck….

Got that it’s just a case of making it so now….

But hay…

….It’s only a movie…

Alfred Hitchcock.

27. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,005
    Just get a souped up HTPC then - that will keep you going until Hi-def really hits mainstream.

28. JBL 4645

JBL 4645
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Height surround sonic overhead whole as first used on We were soldiers back in 2001, I have tried this out myself WOW this does make a whole lot of difference, the openness to the sound and looking up when cutting to the interior shoots of the helicopters, as in life hearing the router blades above, along with atmosphere sounds too bullets wiz by making me duck for cover, very impressive…

Afterwards I tried a few other films…The world is not enough, so I came to the ultimate conclusion this will work on just about any Dolby or dts film just so as long, it as split-surrounds on them…

But hay…

….It’s only a movie…

Alfred Hitchcock.

29. Howard0000

Howard0000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    The new special edition Top Gun release has DTS 6.1 discrete. It's fantastic :)

30. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    some yamaha AVRs have front effects outputs for a processed 7.1 sound and very good they are too, similar to what JBL4645 was descibing (but internal to the AMP Logic 7 and PL2x etc are still 3 front speakers but 4 surrounds (and for something really tasty run 3 subs 2 on LFE channel and one off the centre channel.........