What Film Would You Recommend?

M

Mike Swannick

Depending on how adventurous you are in your film viewing, I'm sure everyone here has come across a film or three that they had not seen because either:

They had heard little or nothing about it

or

Had pre-conceived ideas which steered them away from watching it at the cinema/video etc.

Using everyone else's experiences in this area, I would like to make a few purchases that I would never have considered otherwise. Stuff that was good but never achieved blockbuster status for any reason.

My offerings are;

Momento & 1492:Conquest Of Paradise

I'll offer "Go", "Bound" and "Donnie Darko". All 3 feature highly in my list of favourite movies and are excellent movies IMO. :D I bought each of them on a whim and luckily my instincts turned out to be totallly correct with them. :)

I will warn you though that "Donnie Darko" takes a while to work out and will keep you talking about it for ages :)

Requiem for a Dream, Mulholland Drive, Blue Velvet, Dead Ringers, Kalifornia, Dead Presidents

For me it was LA Confidential, American History X, Almost Famous, Ronin and The Shawshank Redemption. All of these I missed at the cinema and only bothered with them at the time because of other people's recommendations. I'll admit most of these are now well known but if you havn't seen any of them, they come highly recommended...

Iain.

I would have to say Ravenous - not sure how many people have seen it or how popular it is/was, but when i decided to watch it i hadn't heard anything about it. Thought it was a really good film.

Also have to agree with SG on Bound - really classy and cool mafia film. I love all the camera angles in it and how it's used with that style of film, good plot too.

A Room for Romeo Brass, you wont know whether to laugh or cry.

Quills, great acting

Nurse Betty, I fell in love with Renee Zellweger

Summer of Sam, this has to be the best film I almost never saw.

Boys Don't Cry.
An outstanding film based on a true story. Quite shocking in places.

Also, as mentioned above, Requiem for a Dream, Way of the Gun and Pi.

Go - Massively underated, a youth Pulp Fiction !

Still Crazy - In the style of Spinal Tap.

Swingers - Sharp.

American History X - Powerful.

Out of Sight - Fun.

requiem for a dream

don't know how i missed this at the cinema

it is a great film

Originally posted by bobbles
requiem for a dream

don't know how i missed this at the cinema

it is a great film
It's a good movie yeah. Works better on HC anyway I think. :)

Braindead - changed my life
Dog Soldiers - brillo pads
Blow - fairly big I guess
Snatch/Lock Stock - also did quite well
American History X - already said I know

Have to agree American History X is a great, moving powerful film.

Magnolia - Certainly better the paint colour. Tom Cruise is wonderful (that was one of the hardest things I've ever typed)

Rushmore and the Royal Tenenbaums - Wes Anderson weaves such great stories.

How on earth did I forget to include Shawshank!!!!:eek: :eek: :eek:

:blush: Shame on me.

Plenty of films I haven't heard of mentioned here, so it looks like the bank balance will be taking a battering soon, keep them coming....

I'll add Wild Things to my existing movie recommendations.

I forgot to include it originally because I only have it on VHS. but I have just recently ordered the DVD to replace my tape and it reminded me.

Stars Kevin Bacon, Matt Dillon, Neve Campbell, Robert Wagner, Bill Murray and Theresa Russell. This thriller really blew my mind the first time I saw it. :)

Can be had very cheaply at the moment. Note that the R1 is DD5.1, but the R2 is only Dolby Surround (in case that bothers you).

A great movie. :D

SG,

How could you forget Denise Richards also stars in Wild Things?:confused:
Almost unforgivable...:D

- Tom -

hmm, not sure if anyones seen this but i'll add 'Detroit Rock City' damn fine film.

Bought Shawshank Redemption and LA confidential purely on recomendation of friend. Thorughly enjoyed them both. Bought Devils Advocate because of Al Pacino and liked the movie.

One of the biggest suprises was when I went to the cinema with a friend. We just went one day. Had no idea what to watch. Got to the cinema. Saw they had The Big Lebowski. I had heard a little about the Cohen brothers at that time so suggested it. Loved it. Haven't seen it since so don't know how it stands up to repeat viewings. On the flipside did the same sort of thing with Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. Hated it and nearly walked out.

Gotta say
Fight Club- widely know as my favorite
Dogma
Usual Suspects
Big Lebowski kicks ass. Watched it just this morning

Originally posted by Whatts
How could you forget Denise Richards also stars in Wild Things?:confused:
Almost unforgivable...:D
Of course I didn't :devil:, but she's hardly famous is she? ;)

Has she even starred in another movie since then? :eek:

Originally posted by Squirrel God

Of course I didn't :devil:, but she's hardly famous is she? ;)

Has she even starred in another movie since then? :eek:

James Bond one about 2 years ago, Tomorrow never dies possibly?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom