What film are you watching tonight/watched last night???

Last night we span up first contact on the proj, tonight the not as good (4th season TNG worthy) insurrection. I'll need rum for nemesis.

IMG_20210110_201057.jpg

IMG_20210111_194400.jpg

A Twelve-Year Night - 6.5/10 - The first half of the film was heading for an 8/10 bit unfortunately it loses focus a little with what follows, a true story of three men in 70's Uruguay who are not only imprisoned but put in solitary for the length of their stay (guess how long that is) the hardships the men endure a captured brilliantly at first but some flashback scenes that fail to bring home the back story to their arrest stops the film from being great.

Thanks for sharing that. Brilliant parody of his work and true to boot. Really enjoy Curtis' documentaries but treat them as entertainment first and foremost.

Anyone looking for a cracker of a dystopian story check out Yevgeny Zamyatin's We. It was also adapted into a film by a German production team (I think) but I haven't seen it yet. You can find it on Youtube under its original title Wir (1982). The book is fascinating and unnerving in equal measure. One of the most disturbing technological dystopias imagined and quite prescient in a number of ways. I believe both Orwell and Huxley borrowed ideas from it and used them in 1984 and Brave New World respectively.

Maybe I oversold Equilibrium by calling it great. Should have said fun instead. Great dystopian films from that decade are ones like Children of Men (@RicksonGracie1972's favourite sci-fi ;) ) and The Road. And The Island obviously. There are a lot of bad and forgettable sci-fi films out there but I don't think Equilibrium is one of them. Going to check out some other B-movie sci-fi soon. Got The Colony with Morpheus himself to watch soon.

Edit - I'm mistaken - Huxley denied being influenced by We when he wrote Brave New World. Don't tell porkies, Aldous.
The Road was one hell of a bleak film. I'm not sure I've ever recovered from that scene in the basement of that house. It was a good film but I'm in no hurry to watch it again, especially in this current climate.

14e1e856b945a32b5067fc224a64b761d8d9b613.jpg

f15d677fd2b1e3e63562cf87825cec69.jpg

81qdEgXV6jL._RI_.jpg

Had to kill myself by watching some real trash & laughed quite a bit, I felt both MIA films a completely terrible in their own right but you got to keep your wits about during these times. Delta Force is still my fave of his. I wasn't so impressed with Code Of Silence, just had a few places where I laughed, I got MIA 3 but I'll wait to watch that.

Actually as much as I wait for The Abyss to make it on Blu Ray after 12 yrs in asking, these transfers were actually pretty good.

The Road movie was a very bleak but compelling movie. The book was even bleaker..

Yeah that's for sure! Just before the film came out I wanted to read the book but couldn't find the time so bought the audiobook to listen to in the car. Had to abandon it after a while as it was depressing and too grim to listen to during the morning commute. Switching to Jeremy Vine on Radio 2 felt like relief and that ain't right!

Love, Antosha (2019, streaming free on UK Amazon Prime)

An often uncomfortable look back at the life of Anton Yelchin told by those who loved him (seemingly everyone) and more interestingly, himself.

Taking the similar format to recent documentaries of Hollywood types (I am Patrick Swayze, I Am Paul Walker), its told largely through a huge amount of archive footage (home movies, behind the scenes footage, film clips) and very honest talking heads, this one feels more personal, more like you're getting a glimpse under the subject's skin, thanks in part to having Yelchin's own voice be so prevalent - not just via the tonne of interviews he's done over the years, not just in the huge amount of home movies he and his friends and family shot, but in the diary excerpts read by, of all people, Nic Cage. Its both hauntingly eerie and yet hugely insightful, the film having to do far more to get anywhere near understanding its own subject because of the sheer depth of who he seemed to be.

Yelchin just appeared to be one of those rare individuals who could turn his hand to anything, yet also be the type of person everyone wanted him to be - from his obviously deep and loving relationship with his parents, to the interviews with almost everyone he ever worked with (the entire Star Trek cast, JJ Abrams, Jodie Foster, Frank Langella, Martin Landau, Jennifer Lawrence, Ben Foster, Willem Defoe, the list just goes on) and every one of them having an obvious deep and real link to him and their time together, its massively affecting.

We're not used to seeing the likes of Lawrence tear up at the thought of him or of Chris Pine rage against the injustice of his death, yet here they are. And its testament to just who Yelchin was, and how well this documentary captures his spirit, that the most affecting comment was made by Landau who simply said he would hate for the world to forget about him because he really was so good.......

Interestingly it didn't shy away from some of the darker sides of Yelchin - his obsession with those on the fringes of 'normal' society both shocked and amused his cast mates, yet its his battle with his own Cystic Fibrosis that seemed to shape him more in his later years, seemingly entering into an uneasy time in his life trying to do different things and accept who he is and make peace with this incurable disease of his at the time of his very tragic death.

It can't help itself entirely, its entire duration being scored a little too sentimentally when it really isn't needed, but amongst a sea of similar and very good looks under the skin of famous actors taken too young, this one just seems to hurt the most precisely because there is a sense of him being on the verge of doing so much more........

Massively affecting and worth watching to remind ourselves of just how much he had done and really of what we've missed out on. Doing a superb job of helping us understand its subject more than we did before, this is excellent and emotional documentary making

Last edited:
Yeah that's for sure! Just before the film came out I wanted to read the book but couldn't find the time so bought the audiobook to listen to in the car. Had to abandon it after a while as it was depressing and too grim to listen to during the morning commute. Switching to Jeremy Vine on Radio 2 felt like relief and that ain't right!
Sounds like it's a film I would like! ;)

Yeah that's for sure! Just before the film came out I wanted to read the book but couldn't find the time so bought the audiobook to listen to in the car. Had to abandon it after a while as it was depressing and too grim.
The audiobook or the car?

Don't Look Now - 7/10 - This Nic Roeg chiller is regarded as a classic and whilst I really admire it, the Venetian setting, the downright eeriness of the whole thing I can never say I really like it, Donald Sutherland and Julie Christie play a couple who's daughter drowns in their garden pond, they take time out in Venice where John Baxter (Sutherland) is managing the restoration of a church, after a chance encounter with an elderly blind woman visions of the dead daughter start to happen and things get more mysterious, theres the infamous sex scene and the very creepy ending to add to the mix in a film you should see.

Don't Look Now - 7/10 - This Nic Roeg chiller is regarded as a classic and whilst I really admire it, the Venetian setting, the downright eeriness of the whole thing I can never say I really like it, Donald Sutherland and Julie Christie play a couple who's daughter drowns in their garden pond, they take time out in Venice where John Baxter (Sutherland) is managing the restoration of a church, after a chance encounter with an elderly blind woman visions of the dead daughter start to happen and things get more mysterious, theres the infamous sex scene and the very creepy ending to add to the mix in a film you should see.
I've watched it several times in the hope that I'll like it but I just don't!

I'm always disappointed coz it's supposedly a masterpiece but I just don't like it at all.

Butchers (2020) Directed by Adrian Langley
butchers-1-1024x429.jpg

Totally sticks to the usual TCM formula the demented family and that all too familiar rundown farmhouse thing, it also does nothing new with these car troubled kids but even with all this I still came away pretty much satisfied and entertained, its definitely not the best from this genre not really gory enough or messed up enough for it to be that memorable but still a fun entry.6.5/10

Ben wanting to watch 12 Monkeys recently. Last time was when it came out in the cinema (remember those places?) - Anyone know if its available to stream or purchase digitally? I can't see it anywhere.

Ben wanting to watch 12 Monkeys recently. Last time was when it came out in the cinema (remember those places?) - Anyone know if its available to stream or purchase digitally? I can't see it anywhere.
It’s currently available on the BBC iPlayer :smashin:

Twelve Monkeys, Twelve Monkeys: www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01fhfjy via @bbciplayer

The Empty Man (2020) Directed by David Prior
ogwi60can6761.jpg

The trailer and that very naff title had me thinking wrongly that this was going to be one of those silly teen type horror flicks in the vein of say my name 3x spin around crap, yeah I was totally wrong there this instead was a very well made mystery thriller that starts with a well-done Tibetan trekking prologue which then leads into a world of missing persons strange institutes with an even stranger cult following, it is though a bit on the long side and doesn't fully pay off with its ending but I still came away really enjoying its slow-burn atmosphere and its turn of events along with its performances which includes another solid turn from James Badge Dale, best going in blind.7.5/10

E1CB8170-ED04-43DD-930F-59EA673252A2.jpeg
Open Range
Browsed Amazon and found this often forgotten gem of a western. A brooding Kevin Costner and Robert Duvall taking on Michael Gambon over that damned theme of grazing cattle.
Kevin Costner cops a bit of flack now and again but put him in a western and let him do what he does best and it’s hard to think of another actor who best suits the genre.

It’s a slow burn and tops in at well over 2 hours but everything here is top notch and everyone is on their game. If you like a decent western there’s nothing not to like and it’s one of the best of the past 25 years.
Thoroughly recommended

View attachment 1440599
Open Range
Browsed Amazon and found this often forgotten gem of a western. A brooding Kevin Costner and Robert Duvall taking on Michael Gambon over that damned theme of grazing cattle.
Kevin Costner cops a bit of flack now and again but put him in a western and let him do what he does best and it’s hard to think of another actor who best suits the genre.

It’s a slow burn and tops in at well over 2 hours but everything here is top notch and everyone is on their game. If you like a decent western there’s nothing not to like and it’s one of the best of the past 25 years.
Thoroughly recommended

You should look up the show Yellowstone, Costner is brilliant in it.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom