What film are you watching tonight/watched last night???

Did he? He was definitely a queer one. Not a fan of his art either. I hadn't realised he was assassinated (or is it murder if you're not the president or royalty?) so that is interesting. Will check out the documentary you mentioned.

Actually wouldn't mind seeing Factory Girl with Guy Pearce as Warhol and Sienna Miller as Edie Sedgewick.
He died some years later from the shooting, after a lengthy paranoid and cripplingly pained existence. You don't have to be royal or presidential to be assassinated - assuming your hater has the cash!
Yeah, I'm not a fan but watched the documentary more as a cultural thing I should know - more a fan of The Cult's Edie Ciao Baby, that led me in, maybe? Her tattooed art doll hand stayed with me.
He was such a slimy person, devalued people in the name of art/life and I wasn't surprised he got shot. I might watch FG, as I like both leads.

Basquiat - Julian Schnabel - 1996

View attachment 1342055

Jeffrey Wright (Westworld, Boardwalk Empire, Bond), Gary Oldman, David Bowie, Dennis Hopper, Benicio del Toro, Christopher Walken, Sam Rockwell, Michael Wincott and more... you'd probably be hard-pressed to find a film in the 90s with a cast as distinguished as the one in this film.

*cough* True Romance *cough* :D

2808A017-67C3-424E-A284-AB9917A8563E.jpeg

He died some years later from the shooting, after a lengthy paranoid and cripplingly pained existence. You don't have to be royal or presidential to be assassinated - assuming your hater has the cash!
Yeah, I'm not a fan but watched the documentary more as a cultural thing I should know - more a fan of The Cult's Edie Ciao Baby, that led me in, maybe? Her tattooed art doll hand stayed with me.
He was such a slimy person, devalued people in the name of art/life and I wasn't surprised he got shot. I might watch FG, as I like both leads.

Ah, right. They sort of skirt over his death in the film with Dennis Hopper being the one to deliver the news to Basquiat after he plays a wee joke on him. I watched a few short videos on YT about their relationship and I got the impression - rightly or wrongly - that they had an odd relationship with one another, with Warhol almost using Basquiat's newfound fame to boost his already massive reputation. Could be wrong about that but Warhol gave me the willies man.

Last edited:
I really like The Truman Show, it's a fantastic commentary on the whole Big Brother concept. Brilliantly uplifting ending as well.
Can you imagine how seriously mentially damaged Truman would be after he left his own world.
If this actually happened I'd forsee anything but a happy ending

Since Jim Carrey is on the agenda.......

View attachment 1341853

Dumb and Dumber (1994) - The Farrelly Brothers

Recently out/available on Amazon Prime Instant video - I watched on R2 DVD

The Farrelly brothers debut breakout hit - bolstered by Carrey’s burgeoning popularity and a very game Jeff Daniels - is still unsurpassed in terms of their comedic output for my money. Out of all their comedies, Dumb and Dumber also stands out as their most accessible before they started to push the boundaries more and more, as evidenced in their later hits Kingpin and There’s Something About Mary. To demonstrate, I would not feel comfortable to show my boys the latter two just yet but Dumb and Dumber remains just on the right side of the threshold (the theatrical cut at least - not the awful extended cut that removes any subtleties the film had left by laying it all on the table).

The theatrical cut hits all the right notes - an almost perfect buddy/road movie with our lovable losers hilariously stumbling from one crazy scenario to the next. Carrey could do no wrong at this point but it is Jeff Daniels who was the revelation - matching his co-star pound for pound with his versatility at slipping into this kind of role. Special mention for the lovely Lauren Holly - who I had quite a crush on back in the day with this film and Dragon: the Bruce Lee Story. The directing/writing siblings really had the Midas touch here as I could write an essay on the amount of memorable moments this film has - the traffic cop ‘drinking’ sequence is my favourite but I could list so, so many others. It’s a shame the belated, official sequel got it so wrong by turning our duo into a couple of very creepy, mean spirited A-holes (something that also pervades the extended cut). Basically, if you want to watch this again, make sure it’s the theatrical cut!

Back then it was a toss up (if you pardon the pun) between Lauren Holly and Kelly Preston, when she was in Twins.

If you meet Sartana......Pray for your Death (1968, Arrow Video - UK iTunes)

Otherwise known as 'Double Cross: The Movie'.........

A gloriously unabashed spaghetti western that mistakes plot beats for double crosses, here we get a stagecoach of gold, an insurance scam and everyone, and I do mean EVERYONE, out to screw everyone else over.

There's all the usual components here - a small, incredibly dusty town; two different town politicians and a woman who is sleeping with/married to both (I'm still not sure which); a general and his small army; a gang of outlaws led by the incredibly blond William Berger; and finally, our very anti-hero Sartana. All out for blood and/or this gold and to get it in the most complex and convoluted way possible.

As well, its got all the trademarks of the best of the genre - crash zooms into peoples eyeballs; 19th century rifles being fired like modern automatic weapons with unending ammunition (the film makers even make a gag at the end about this, after the final shoot out, the cool little four barrel pistol of Sartana is revealed to have....yes, a secret compartment with FIVE bullets in! Hussah!); female roles are either as sex workers or femme fatales; it even wheels out Klaus Kinski for several glorious minutes before he's dispatched in a hail of cannon sounding gunfire.

But there's just too much going on plotwise to take it to the top of the genre pile - it gets so convoluted, it made my head hurt and come the ending, I'm still not necessarily sure I know exactly who double crossed who and when.......

But for fans of the genre, its still a decent watch - it just takes all the space in between the usual genre tropes (for unimportant things like character and emotion) and stuffs it full of even more genre goodness. So a classic case of too much of a good thing. Just.

Deep Blue Sea 3 - I'm gonna say 6/10 based on the direct to VOD level of ratings.

Deep Blue Sea is a favourite guilty pleasure of mine and I have probably seen it 15+ times. I love that film.

Deep Blue Sea 2 was a dumpster fire so I had no pre-conceived notions number 3 would be any good. But to be fair, whilst not a traditionally good film I found it far better than the second and it was an entertaining watch. If you like the genre this isn't terrible! (High praise I know).

Constantine on the 15th anniversary I thought id purchase cheap on itunes, only HD and 5.1 but looked a sounded great, decent watch and possibly could have had a sequel 6.5/10

Can you imagine how seriously mentially damaged Truman would be after he left his own world.
If this actually happened I'd forsee anything but a happy ending

I guess they could have explored that in a sequel!

But that was a happy ending as he'd broken free of the control. Walking through the door to freedom.

Factory Girl (2006)
7877777.JPG

Sienna Miller delivers a compelling performance as Edie Sedgewick, the rich and historied family girl of America's literal past. Whilst Guy Pearce is Andy Warhol, the soul, fame and money sucking whore, that used and abused his way to fame with what I'd call triviality in the extreme.
Edie had an abused and used life from the get-go with a deeply corrupt father and back turning mother. Meeting Warhol led her to believe she had a real worth and he skyrocketed her in the public eye with photos, appearances at his side and films. Her glowing looks made girls and women want to be her and Warhol cling to that ride for his, and ultimately her, life.
By now, the tale is old and so many women and men have fallen foul in the pursuit of fame at the hands of someone abusive that led them to drugs and worse. For the former, we have #Metoo in droves and you could likely bet Sedgewick would've been cheered along to take Warhol to the cleaners, erased from the art world and/or prison.
I like Miller a lot and could glaze along looking at her in most anything. Fortunately, she offers more substance here than just her body and looks and so it wasn't a shallow grind.
Warhol never meant anything to me as an artist or anything else. After seeing a documentary and this film portrayal of him, I'm now of the opinion that I'm glad he ended the way he did - whether or not that he had his own issues.

I've watched a movie tonight that I'd never heard of until someone recommended it on here. And so from a recommendation on here (which are always good pointers) I watched it.

HACKSAW RIDGE

Top movie. I've since found out is a true story about a conscientious objector who joined the US army during world war II who refused to pick up a gun but who wanted to help. I started crying at one point and that was only half way through the movie! The the war scenes at the end are brutal. And I mean brutal. If you haven't seen it, I highly recommend it. Streaming included with Amazon Prime membership.

10/10

I'd never heard of it before so thanks to whoever recommended it. :thumbsup:

If you didn't cry at some point I would worry.
I did.

@encaser I watched a clip of Guy Pearce's portrayal of Warhol and found it even more unsettling than Bowie's. TBF Bowie played him as a space cadet dandy fop which was weird but amusing. Pearce, on the other hand, played him like a gay vampire or something in the clip at the restaurant with Edie's super freaky dad. Am I allowed to describe him like that? Well, no offence intended to gay vampires and all that.

Definitely fancy seeing it after reading your review and watching that clip.

4C51A37C-775C-416A-B7E6-7283C7306BC6.jpeg

Bill And Ted’s Excellent Adventure (1989) - Stephen Herek

Shout Factory Region A BD

This was a most excellent movie from my adolescence, which garnered many an after school repeat viewing on VHS. The great thing about this introduction into the totally bodacious world of messrs Bill S. Preston Esq. and Ted Theodore Logan is that it’s such a sweet natured, sci-fi fantasy romp - the type of feelgood comedy that’s accessible for all. I know the 80s also had Porky’s and Revenge of The Nerds; however, this film and it’s sequel (and also the similar-ish Wayne’s World films) has a unique generational quality that bridged a gap before crude comedy came back with a vengeance in the 90s - e.g. Farrelly Brothers, Austin Powers and American Pie. The proof was in the pudding in that my boys loved it during lockdown and immediately asked if there was a sequel.

Apart from the special effects now looking distinctly ropey, Bill and Ted’s Excellent Adventure is very aptly a timeless, minor - using the world cult doesn’t sound right - classic from the tail end of its decade. The premise belongs purely to the school of simple but effective. The unlikely tale of a couple of dim witted, high school rockers who are inexplicably destined for greatness - but not if they don’t pass their history presentation. What better way than to let the history literally speak for itself by travelling back and forth through time to ‘borrow’ these significant characters of the past? Another big positive is that the future is depicted as a utopia, representing a change from the downbeat norm.

Chris Matheson and Ed Solomon’s script is loaded with cool 80s rock/metal references such as the duo’s excited reaction to a medieval iron maiden, and Bill fooling Ted’s disapproving authoritarian dad as ‘Deputy Van Halen.’ The history report itself is presented in the manner of a rock concert. Loads of other great moments such as the rescue of the princesses from the ‘royal ugly dudes’ and a playful running gag of Bill having the hots for his young step-mother. When Freud offers Bill his sofa, he declines before admitting he just has ‘a minor Oedipal complex(!)’

Cast-wise, we all know that Bill is Alex Winter’s signature role and Keanu went on to become a Hollywood icon. However, it is arguable that Reeves’ breakout gig is the one film fans mostly associate him with just as much as his action output. His delivery of the line “Woah!!” belongs in the zeitgeist of 80s cinema - and everyone was in on the joke when he used it again ten years later in The Matrix. Additionally, George Carlin is coolness personified as wise, time travelling messenger Rufus (he can even jam a little too!).

Verdict? Excellent! (Of course)

Last edited:
Octopussy (BD) - So, this is an odd one...on the one hand it's an entertaining watch for the most part but I'm not sure exactly what it is but it just feels a bit weak on all fronts with nothing particularly memorable or great about it.
I forgot that Maud Adams wasn't really in it that much as she doesn't show up until well after halfway through. Baddies are ok, Berkoff it hilarious as he hams it up massively but the rest are not putting much effort it into. Even Roger Moore looks a bit bored with it all.

I will say the opening with the small jet plane is superb and I had the toy when I was a kid with the horsebox and horse butt that lift up to roll the plane out - fantastic :D

Not sure about the score, I'll be generous with a 5.5/10 as it is entertaining nonetheless.

Final Moore one next, at least that does have some classic set pieces even if the film is pretty pants.

Cobra
Turned it off after 25 mins. Man that is a film that has not aged well at all. Jeez, when was acting that bad ever acceptable?!

I've watched a movie tonight that I'd never heard of until someone recommended it on here. And so from a recommendation on here (which are always good pointers) I watched it.

HACKSAW RIDGE

Top movie. I've since found out is a true story about a conscientious objector who joined the US army during world war II who refused to pick up a gun but who wanted to help. I started crying at one point and that was only half way through the movie! The the war scenes at the end are brutal. And I mean brutal. If you haven't seen it, I highly recommend it. Streaming included with Amazon Prime membership.

10/10

Loosely based on a true story. I still enjoyed it though. It took some fairly heavy criticism, but I thought it was a good film.

Vivarium

A limited and basic Dark City-esque tale. Strong performances from the two leads (I know Jesse Eisenberg bothers some people, but I even loved his Lex, so...) but this is an uncomfortable, unsettling movie which keeps you guessing as to where it's going. I personally found the ending a little unsatisfying, and felt the theme of parenthood would and could have been far more developed.

However it was short and sweet and kept us interested until the end.

6.5/10

I actually thought the film was pretty naff on my latest watch (about 10 or so years ago), despite liking it from childhood. But the story as you say is pretty interesting. Its a film crying out for a remake, and Michael Bay's The Island doesn't count.

Agree about Jenny Agutter... delicious.

They have been trying with soooooo many names rumoured/linked like Bryan Singer, Ryan Gosling and Nicolas Winding Refn, Joseph Kosinski, Carl Erik Rinsch, and Bioshock's Ken Levine.

[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

Last edited:
[

Last edited:

HACKSAW RIDGE

10/10

Whilst I agree that the battle scenes were pretty full on, for some reason the film just didn't do it for me. I wasn't convinced by any of the casting and thought it all a bit daft at the end.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom