What film are you watching tonight/watched last night???

Shoctober - J
Jigsaw (2017) Directed by the Spierig Bros
jigsaw1.jpg

This pretty much got slated but yeah this pretty much worked for me, granted its a bit tamed down from some of the earlier entries in the series but this was welcomed from the lack of gore and decapitations that's been missing from what i've been watching so far, I think one of the main reasons it worked so well is because I haven't revisited any of the Saw films in well over 10 years, anyway it follows the same path with it's fun twists carries a few great inventive gore moments courtesy of those nifty n wicked traps and contraptions that the series is so well known for, it was also great to hear that distinctive Tobin Bell voice again, so yeah enjoyed this one and would definitely catch any new entries on the horizon.6.5/10

Don't know if you know this guy but he does a few interesting videos, including one on The Relic. I remember seeing it at the cinema waaaaay back in the day and coming away thinking it was 'surprisingly good' - haven't seen it since.

I don't know about a cat scene but I once was watching a horror film and it was in a tense scene and my dog(90lb +) sneaked up on me plonked its paw on my arm that was resting on the armrest of the chair.:eek:

I watched the RUROUNI KENSHIN TRILOGY over the last few nights. Never seen the Manga so this was completely new to me

I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed it.

The first film is the best, with the second and third parts one film split into two.

The story has a few holes in it and some of the 2/3rd parts are disjointed in places. There are also a couple of seriously irritating characters, which I think are supposed to add an element of humour. Neither of which are needed IMO but I appreciate it may be true to the original manga

However, the lead character, the cinematography, and the fight sequencing was top notch. Very enjoyable, with good use of wirework without being over the top.

First part is an 8.5 out of 10.
Second and third are solid 7 out of 10

Shocktober 1999, 2000

Stir of Echoes - David Koepp
1570806085473.png

Unlike the others in my list this is a first time watch for me, having heard its one of Kevin Bacon's better films that managed to slip through the net. And yeah I was fairly impressed with this, more so as the story unfolds. At first it just seems like another load of supernatural horror nonsense but that's just a gateway into a more interesting thriller that resolves later in the film. Kevin's mania during the second half of the film is well acted especially as it begins to take a toll on his family (reminded me of Close Encounters), and the last act is pretty powerful. So yeah, not a bad one to tick off the list. 7/10

Hollow Man - Paul Verhoeven
1570806333271.png

Sticking with Kev, I just had to take another look at this smashing Paul Verhoeven sci-fi horror. This has aged really well with some clever and still-awesome CG visual effects. This too is a film of three parts, the first being the most visually interesting as we see apes and humans gradually phased in and out of invisibility, in vivid anatomical detail. The pain and hazard of these 'quantum phase shifts' is superbly depicted and the attention to detail is extraordinary. The second act sees Kevin Bacon's character take a darker turn as he uses his 'gift' for voyeuristic and later sexually abusive means. As egotistical Sebastian Cane, he's already a walking sexual harrasment lawsuit, and with powers of invisibility he takes it to another level. Is it perhaps a sign of the director's own sexual preoccupations, or lack of imagination, that makes that the focus of this invisibility story? The question is asked, but never answered: is it the power went to his head, or the invisibility serum that turned him evil? The final act is the action horror finale as Cane turns against his co-workers for some bloody Verhoeven violence that ends the same way all these action horror films seem to. But to be fair, its pretty well done and fairly imaginitive in its kills. I still really dig the film. Great supporting cast too with young-looking Elizabeth Shue and Josh Brolin in supporting roles. 7.5/10

Possum
MV5-BNm-Jk-Mzdk-ODkt-ZDg2-Yi00-NGQ2-LWIy-Nm-It-MGVj-NDQy-ZGMy-Mzgy-Xk-Ey-Xk-Fqc-Gde-QXVy-Nz-Yw-Nz-Ax-Mj-M-V1-SX1777-CR001777960-AL-800x432.jpg

After returning to his childhood home, a disgraced children's puppeteer (Sean Harris) is forced to confront his wicked stepfather (Alun Armstrong) and the secrets that have tarnished his entire life.
My friend recommended this one, and it gets good fresh tomatoes on Rotten Tomatoes site.. but not such a good audience score. I think I’m closer to that audience score as for me this was an utterly boring and dreary viewing experience, into a world of drabness and nastiness. The film felt like a 20 minute short stretched to 80+ minutes and I found my attention wandering even in that meagre timeframe. I like Sean Harris, he was great in Harry Brown and Ashes to Ashes, but the sheer monotony of this one and his multiple attempts to rid himself of a crappy spider puppet didn’t elicit any feelings of fear or creepiness for me, the only time I jumped was a neat jump scare late on so it gets an extra point for managing that trick. Alun Armstrong is almost pantomime with his performance, and the locations they shot this in must be the most rundown in the UK. I think it was trying to evoke an Eraserhead vibe, which it partially managed near the beginning but the sheer drudgery and sub-Lynchian nonsense of the rest of the movie didn’t impress me I’m afraid. A generous 5/10 from Quest.

Possum
MV5-BNm-Jk-Mzdk-ODkt-ZDg2-Yi00-NGQ2-LWIy-Nm-It-MGVj-NDQy-ZGMy-Mzgy-Xk-Ey-Xk-Fqc-Gde-QXVy-Nz-Yw-Nz-Ax-Mj-M-V1-SX1777-CR001777960-AL-800x432.jpg

After returning to his childhood home, a disgraced children's puppeteer (Sean Harris) is forced to confront his wicked stepfather (Alun Armstrong) and the secrets that have tarnished his entire life.
My friend recommended this one, and it gets good fresh tomatoes on Rotten Tomatoes site.. but not such a good audience score. I think I’m closer to that audience score as for me this was an utterly boring and dreary viewing experience, into a world of drabness and nastiness. The film felt like a 20 minute short stretched to 80+ minutes and I found my attention wandering even in that meagre timeframe. I like Sean Harris, he was great in Harry Brown and Ashes to Ashes, but the sheer monotony of this one and his multiple attempts to rid himself of a crappy spider puppet didn’t elicit any feelings of fear or creepiness for me, the only time I jumped was a neat jump scare late on so it gets an extra point for managing that trick. Alun Armstrong is almost pantomime with his performance, and the locations they shot this in must be the most rundown in the UK. I think it was trying to evoke an Eraserhead vibe, which it partially managed near the beginning but the sheer drudgery and sub-Lynchian nonsense of the rest of the movie didn’t impress me I’m afraid. A generous 5/10 from Quest.

It's a challenging watch that's for sure. But it worked better for me thanks to Alun Armstrong's sheer nastiness and the whole Lynchian vibe. Don't think I'd watch it twice though.

The Dark Knight - 9/10 - A re-watch of Nolan's trilogy instigated by my son, this one really has stood the test of time, a cracking thriller thats much more than a superhero film, excellent and a good shoo in to Joker this weekend.

Yeah I saw you liked it. It just wasn't for me and wasn't the nightmare fuel I expected.

Disappointed you didn't like it, but each to their own. I read up on it's production afterward and there was so much more to it than even I realised at the time of watching. Especially in regards to the puppet. Will need to watch it again in fact.

I first came across Sean Harris in The Borgias, and think he's developed into a very fine actor. Highlight as we know of course came as Solomon Lane in Rogue Nation.

Rabid (2019, UK iTunes)

It was never my favourite of Cronenberg's early work, but The Soska Sisters (American Mary) have given us a version that somehow brings to mind NWR's style of The Neon Demon (primary colour drenched, Argento-esque) and a left-field ending that reminds us of the glorious ick factor of Yuzna's Society.

Throwing us off from the very first minute, casting the gorgeous Laura Vandervoort behind a layer of scarred make up (so much so that I didn't even recognise her), brings an added layer to proceedings. Having her also work in the vacuous, narcissistic fashion world (another Neon Demon influence?) starts to introduce us to key themes of fitting in, the price of beauty, etc, which start to come into play as the main plot kicks in - she's hideously disfigured in a motorbike crash and undergoes pioneering stem cell work that not only corrects her deformities, but makes her stunningly beautiful but with a taste for human blood.

This main plot thrust follows Cronenberg's original closely - the operation, the spread of infection and the slow realisation on Rose's part of her role in it - but amps everything up. The make up effects are stunning in their hideous beauty and the infected go full on Zack Snyder Dawn of the Dead in their viciousness and blood letting abilities. Where it differs is in the character of Rose - gone until the very end are the questionable appendages that do the killing, instead we get a much more slow dawning realisation and a blurring of reality and hallucinations brought in by her medication. Vandervoort is brilliant and gives us so much more then poor old Marilyn Chambers did (not Chamber's fault mind, more that this script asks more of Rose than Cronenberg's did).

However, just when you think that this version is going to suffer from the same problem that the original did - the end was just going to come and go with barely a whimper - it pulls a gonzo, prosthetic laden finale that is reminiscent of the obnoxious endings of yesteryear. Sure it tries to dress it up in pseudoscience, but its so icky and gloriously gory and downbeat that none of that matters.

This is easily up there with Cronenberg's version, updating it appropriately for modern horror audiences yet always having The Soska Sister's inherently gorgeous visual style of horrific beauty. Cracking stuff.

Shocktober 2001

From Hell - Albert & Allen Hughes
1570869868966.png

A film absolutely drenched in the fictional atmosphere of Victorian London with rolling fog, buck-tooth degenerates, top-hatted gentlemen, and taverns overflowing with buxom wenches. And a quite enjoyable performance from Johnny Depp as a drug addled, borderline suicidal London detective with clair-voyant skills on the trail of Jack the Ripper. His investigation is stymied at every turn by an order of Masons; vicious pimp gangs and his own repressed feelings; and love might be on the cards too as he falls for a beautiful lady of the night, one of a group of prostitutes dropping like flies at the hands of the Ripper. The murders are unspeakably gruesome and the killer, whose identity remains a mystery (sort of) for much of the film, is genuinely chilling. The languid nature of Depp's character however, plus and overall lack of urgency, prevents this becoming a real rollercoaster, and the film seems stuck in second gear. And unlike Depp, co-star Heather Graham struggles somewhat with her East End accent. But still pretty decent. 7/10

Shoctober -K
Krampus (2015) Directed by Michael Dougherty
krampus.jpg

Probably a month too early but all I have on the K front apart from a bunch of Kong's, this is another that I was fully expecting to hate but surprise surprise I pretty much enjoyed this, the start was great and represented pretty much what Xmas as become now yep just one big effin chore, when it fully gets started it still carries a that fun get together sense of humor with a few added scares along the way, it is however all pretty safe stuff with Krampus beast coming off the best in the scare department it's those little sidekick helpers where it all falls apart for me and just goes off in that silly Gremlins kinda way, still worth a watch good performances and one of the better fun seasonal films out there.6/10

October freak films:
p11161_v_v8_aa.jpg

Peter Greenaway does what he does best here; screw with your brain in a truly disturbing way. The visuals of death and decay will have animal lovers and those with any squeamish tendencies hitting stop and battering their partner for putting it on.
It brings up Dead Ringers to mind (or vice versa depending on viewing date) with the twisted twins that really shouldn't be near anything that needs care or consideration. In this case, the lamenting twin zoologists that experiment with death and decay of animals to handle it all. The shots of decaying animals and/or animal violence, if you will, will put many off as they are slow framed and graphic. Still, the human double leg amputee and twin joining stitch scenes freaked me out upon first viewing.
Years on and this still is unsettling but strangely compelling viewing.
,679,1000_AL_.jpg

Donald Sutherland has done some truly creepy roles justice and he doesn't fail to deliver here along with Karen Black, who like to play with genders.
This really perverted tale of fame and what those will do to get it for themselves or others to score is disturbing in its examination of the psyche behind motives. It's full of brooding scenes where you're none too sure who is up to what or for comeuppance in the brutality of events; in a final scene that has a vicious and pretty graphic child star murder, to a pitchfork like mob out for tearing the killer apart not only for the boy but also their in awe dreams.
Wannabe stars beware.

Abominable (2019)

giphy.gif

Just got back from a family trip (wife, 6yr old son and 3yr old daughter) to the Empire cinema in Ipswich, with the upgrade to a pair of sofas. What a great way to sit and watch a movie, so much more comfortable.

Anyway, onto the movie itself. Yes, we all enjoyed this one, it's better than I was expecting as I'd not really heard much about it. The graphics are spectacular (like most cgi movies these days) and the story was pretty run of the mill but interesting enough. Had some proper laughs and a few scenes I seemed to get something in my eye...

7/10 I think.

Shocktober 2002

28 Days Later - Danny Boyle
1570919695605.png

A bit rough around the edges, but still an absolute cracker from Danny Boyle. Terrific break out role for Cillian Murphy, a none too shabby performance from Naomi Harris; and superb support from Brendan Gleeson as the lovely Frank. A 'zombie' apocalyse film with a difference in that there are no shuffling undead to be found here; instead the enemy are snarling, fast-moving 'infected'; vomiting blood and tearing people limb from limb with animalistic rage. The eerie first act in a deserted London is a great start, there's a touch of levity and calm when we encounter Gleeson's character, and then we get a grim last act when the group encounter a squad of soldiers up North. The finale is awesomely shot and satisfyingly violent. Great stuff. 8/10

Shoctober - L
Luz (2018) Directed by Tilman Singer
LUZ_FOG.png

Pretty baffling from beginning to end but this is exactly the kind of horror that really gets my attention these days, and yep this is as strange as they come with its minimalistic settings and bizarre playouts, starting off with an awkward very odd bar conversation we then move on to all manner of stuff hypnotism confessions, possession and to one very strange but very effective mime sequence that no matter how odd it seems just works well within the tone and ambiance that the film plays on, the score is also fantastic as is that whole 70s grainy look the films gives off, abstract strange and very weird, I really liked this.7.5/10

Little Shop of Horrors (1986) Directed by Frank Oz
The-Little-Shop-of-Horrors-1985-Review.jpg

Time for a revisit of that foul-mouthed mean green mother from outer space, and yep this still mostly hits, Rick Moranis and his loveable face never fails in raisin a smile, Steve Martin totally steals it, and the cameo from Candy, Murray and Belushi still remain good fun, the downside for me is some of the songs get a bit samey and bless her poor Ellen Greene (Audrey) just totally grates on me whenever she's on screen, not quite Rocky Horror but still much fun to be had.7/10

Audrey II rules!

@systemsdead did you watch the alternative ending of Little Shop of Horrors? I watched that one for the 1st time earlier this year and was surprised how different and how much extra footage was added.

Jackie Brown
I was planning to have a rare double bill starting with Jackie Brown in remembrance of Robert Foster whos death I heard earlier that day and then on to Kiss Me Deadly.
Unfortunately I forgot how long a film Jackie Brown was. It was a pleasant surprise it was in full screen and so IMAX. No not really but was by MIRAMAX:laugh:

At 154 min I did find it a bit on the long side and early doors though do we really need all this .
All the main characters involved in the crime were very good Robert De Niro playing it subdued for a change apart from the mall scene.
Robert Foster deservedly won a lot of nominations for his support role and although not as big of a role as Pam Grier or Samuel L Jackson is for me the person I like his part of the story best and least dodgie of the main players and highly suspect the little extra in the bag was a plant by the cops.
The music took me back to the 70s which I have at least 3 LPs on which were on the soundtrack probably the same Jackie had and also the original single of Across 110 Street.

The Blu Ray has some interesting stuff the two I played were on where it took you to the music on the film which I thought was going to play the full track but just started the film where that music was played and rather than just playing it and going back to the menu showed the whole film from that point so needed reloading the menu up.
Also it shows a lot of trailers for some of the stars and suprise Robert Fosters first screen role was a meaty part in Elizabeth Taylor and Marlon Brando's Reflection in a Golden Eye.

7/10

Abominable (2019)

View attachment 1206333

Just got back from a family trip (wife, 6yr old son and 3yr old daughter) to the Empire cinema in Ipswich, with the upgrade to a pair of sofas. What a great way to sit and watch a movie, so much more comfortable.

Anyway, onto the movie itself. Yes, we all enjoyed this one, it's better than I was expecting as I'd not really heard much about it. The graphics are spectacular (like most cgi movies these days) and the story was pretty run of the mill but interesting enough. Had some proper laughs and a few scenes I seemed to get something in my eye...

7/10 I think.
Abominable Ipswich. I agree.:)
Used to go there for some music gigs/films at Gaumont. Art house cinema; there was a biggish really old back street creaky one in which we saw Leaving Las Vegas for a cheery night and a micro club one were we saw Once Were Warriors (etc.) just for the craic!

Rabid (2019, UK iTunes)

It was never my favourite of Cronenberg's early work, but The Soska Sisters (American Mary) have given us a version that somehow brings to mind NWR's style of The Neon Demon (primary colour drenched, Argento-esque) and a left-field ending that reminds us of the glorious ick factor of Yuzna's Society.

Throwing us off from the very first minute, casting the gorgeous Laura Vandervoort behind a layer of scarred make up (so much so that I didn't even recognise her), brings an added layer to proceedings. Having her also work in the vacuous, narcissistic fashion world (another Neon Demon influence?) starts to introduce us to key themes of fitting in, the price of beauty, etc, which start to come into play as the main plot kicks in - she's hideously disfigured in a motorbike crash and undergoes pioneering stem cell work that not only corrects her deformities, but makes her stunningly beautiful but with a taste for human blood.

This main plot thrust follows Cronenberg's original closely - the operation, the spread of infection and the slow realisation on Rose's part of her role in it - but amps everything up. The make up effects are stunning in their hideous beauty and the infected go full on Zack Snyder Dawn of the Dead in their viciousness and blood letting abilities. Where it differs is in the character of Rose - gone until the very end are the questionable appendages that do the killing, instead we get a much more slow dawning realisation and a blurring of reality and hallucinations brought in by her medication. Vandervoort is brilliant and gives us so much more then poor old Marilyn Chambers did (not Chamber's fault mind, more that this script asks more of Rose than Cronenberg's did).

However, just when you think that this version is going to suffer from the same problem that the original did - the end was just going to come and go with barely a whimper - it pulls a gonzo, prosthetic laden finale that is reminiscent of the obnoxious endings of yesteryear. Sure it tries to dress it up in pseudoscience, but its so icky and gloriously gory and downbeat that none of that matters.

This is easily up there with Cronenberg's version, updating it appropriately for modern horror audiences yet always having The Soska Sister's inherently gorgeous visual style of horrific beauty. Cracking stuff.

I'd no idea there was a remake and I'm quite a fan of the barmy Soskas... I must add this to my list.
:thumbsup:

I'd no idea there was a remake and I'm quite a fan of the barmy Soskas... I must add this to my list.
:thumbsup:
It’s well worth it mate, really impressed with it. Speaking of which must dig out American Mary for a rewatch too.......

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom