What film are you watching tonight/watched last night???

WeeScottishLass

Distinguished Member
I noticed that The Acid House is on film4 tonight (after Shallow Grave and Trainspotting which are both brilliant films) so recording it and absolutely can't wait to see it after adoring Filth!!

bruce-leroy

Distinguished Member
Archenemy (2020) - Adam Egypt Mortimer - Amazon Rental

58800A0D-6C4B-421E-8035-86F84D0B067C.jpeg

With its throbbing electronic score and ultra low budget, Archenemy has the grimy look and feel of something from the eighties (which was fine by me). The film begins with a prologue that immediately gives away its indie roots; using an old fashioned, stop motion graphic novel effect to inform the viewer of the protagonist’s backstory. Its a move which may deter some but I thought it was done with some style, and a creative way to get around the lack of production funds. It works great with the story it is introducing, and is made even more effective thanks to Joe Maganiello’s (kind of Bale Batman style) gruff, gravelly tones over the narration.

The premise is an intriguing one - kind of like M. Night Shyamalan’s Unbreakable in reverse (Maybe Mr. Nolan would have been a good fit??). Magniello plays an alcohol and meth addicted homeless bum, who spends his days in a bar recounting to anyone who will listen how he is actually a superhero from another dimension called Max Fist. In a furious battle with his nemesis (the archenemy of the title), Fist is catapulted through the cosmic dimensions, eventually ending up trapped on Earth. The only problem is that he says his superpowers do not work on earth! Becoming entwined with Max’s existence on our mortal planet is a brother and sister known as Hamster and Indigo. Hamster is an impressionable youth whose ambition is to be a reporter for a fashionable social media outlet (I think that’s what its supposed to be). His interactions and online video’s involving Max’s boasts unsurprisingly get a lot of hits. Meanwhile, there is a subplot involving Indigo’s involvement with the local big shot drug dealer. All these strands inevitably come together in the movie’s third act.

Undoubtedly, the most interesting plot point is the main one of Max Fist. His lack of superpowers greatly hinder Fist’s adamant insistence of who he really is. Is he telling the truth or is he a just a drug addicted, dangerous schizophrenic, homeless guy? Egypt Mortimer skilfully weaves this notion into his script, and does a good job of keeping the viewer in suspense right until the very end. Whenever Fist is off-screen, the secondary plot-line becomes a whole lot less involving. Manganiello is perfect casting - it could be argued that it is simultaneously ironic and also very fitting. The actor has made a habit of being the best man but never the groom in terms of superhero roles. He was apparently very close to getting the Man of Steel gig but his contract and filming schedule with True Blood prevented it (very similar to Tom Selleck not doing Indiana Jones). Then there is the Deathstroke thing (perhaps it will happen properly one day). Manganiello is a bit too gruff and rugged to play Superman (although the physique is a no brainer), but ideal for what the character in Archenemy is.

Archenemy has its flaws, most notably that none of the secondary characters are very interesting, so the film goes a bit flat whenever Fist is off screen. However, the lack of budget is not one of them, with the makers being really creative to get around it. The movie does a feel a bit of a throwback to the video shop era; with its pulsating electro score and grubby aesthetic that suggests violence is never too far from erupting. In that respect, Archenemy is in some ways reminiscent of Leigh Whannel’s Upgrade - another low budget, violent offering; and kind of different -but-same genre. I may be a little bit more forgiving than others, as I‘m always intrigued by anything that offers an alternative perspective - away from Marvel and DC - on the now (what many may consider to be) over saturated superhero genre. Movies such as the aforementioned Unbreakable but also the likes of Chronicle and Brightburn. If you’re anything like me, Archenemy is definitely worth a look.

7/10

Last edited:

top4719

Memories Of Murder - 7/10 - Gave this second look as I didn't appreciate it first time round but after enjoying Parasite a rewatch was needed, I like it this time, its a sort of police procedural akin to Fincher's Zodiac with a pair of unorthodox detectives on the path of a serial killer of young women, good characters and always interesting.

Stockholm

Distinguished Member
An Education - Lone Scherfig - 2009

Eh, what... Has this gone over my head or is this not basically a story about a grown man (Peter Sarsgaard) sexually grooming an underage girl (Carey Mulligan), manipulating and deceiving her parents (Alfred Molina and Cara Seymour) and stiffing elderly people out of their savings, art and houses that's played off as a bit of a generally harmless lark with a merry and glamourous veneer to conceal the repulsiveness of the film's characters and what they get up to over the course of the film?

It only takes a turn for the worse for the protagonist (Carey Mulligan) after David (Sarsgaard)
has his way with the girl and then engineers a situation intended to break her heart and send her packing so he can presumably move on to his next child. He's a true sociopath and deliberately placed the letter revealing his marital status in a place he knew she'd look.

Every character was detestable with the exception of maybe Olivia Williams' staid and stifled classics teacher.

Edit - I think it's the tone that makes it uncomfortable. He's portrayed as a dashing and sophisticated rogue but is really just a creepy kiddy fiddler who also uses underhand tactics to rob people and drive elderly people out of their homes.

Maybe portraying him in such a light is a result of the fact that this story is adapted from a memoir of a real women's childhood experiences and that's how she saw him. But even after he's revealed to be a major creeper
there's no real attempt to condemn his deviant personality and destructive behaviours.

Last edited:

piston broke

We watched Butter last night on Prime.
It's about butter carving.... Hi studio head, I've got an idea I want to pitch to you:confused:
And it's actually pretty funny, with moments that had the wife and I looking at each other going wtf and laughing. Then we looked at each other and laughed again 'cos we're watching a movie about carving butter. Kinda surreal:D
Next minute Hugh Jackman is in it. I mean, seriously. Talk about a double take:rotfl:
I gotta give it 7/10

WeeScottishLass

Distinguished Member

Eh, what... Has this gone over my head or is this not basically a story about a grown man (Peter Sarsgaard) sexually grooming an underage girl (Carey Mulligan), manipulating and deceiving her parents (Alfred Molina and Cara Seymour) and stiffing elderly people out of their savings, art and houses that's played off as a bit of a generally harmless lark with a merry and glamourous veneer to conceal the repulsiveness of the film's characters and what they get up to over the course of the film?

It only takes a turn for the worse for the protagonist (Carey Mulligan) after David (Sarsgaard)
has his way with the girl and then engineers a situation intended to break her heart and send her packing so he can presumably move on to his next child. He's a true sociopath and deliberately placed the letter revealing his marital status in a place he knew she'd look.

Every character was detestable with the exception of maybe Olivia Williams' staid and stifled classics teacher.

Edit - I think it's the tone that makes it uncomfortable. He's portrayed as a dashing and sophisticated rogue but is really just a creepy kiddy fiddler who also uses underhand tactics to rob people and drive elderly people out of their homes.

Maybe portraying him in such a light is a result of the fact that this story is adapted from a memoir of a real women's childhood experiences and that's how she saw him. But even after he's revealed to be a major creeper
there's no real attempt to condemn his deviant personality and destructive behaviours.
Another one for my growing list.

RicksonGracie1972

Distinguished Member
The Accountant (2016)

I watched this on release and really enjoyed it, in fact I probably scored it 8/10 and left comments in here.
So last night was the 2nd time I had watched this and I also managed to persuade the wife to watch it with me and.......... I didn't enjoy it so much this time round, I just found it a bit daft. The wife also didn't like it much either.
Ben Afflecks character might be a mixture of Jason Bourne and Will Hunting but the execution isn't anywhere near as good.

The action is good though and for that reason I'd give it a 6/10

Tom Davies

Editorial Contributor
I noticed that The Acid House is on film4 tonight (after Shallow Grave and Trainspotting which are both brilliant films) so recording it and absolutely can't wait to see it after adoring Filth!!
What did you think?

It's definitely the weakest Irvine Welsh movie but it's adorably daft.
I remember finding the story about the baby hilarious when I was like 20.

I totally did not get on with this movie either.
I was surprised by how laid back it felt about the whole business. It either went too subtle or it missed the mark tonally. It has like a "live and learn..." vibe at the end which is like, no. Not quite acceptable.

Last edited:

Tom Davies

Editorial Contributor
Speaking of detestable people, I watched I Care A Lot last night.

Obviously Cas had the last word on this in his review so there's little more to say other than I didn't hate it. A lot of it is really fun and there are some good laughs in the first half but it definitely wants to have its cake and eat it in a lot of ways.
It wants you to find organised crime scary, then laugh at it.
It wants you to take the villain seriously, but also accept his total ineptitude.
It wants you to hate the main character but then root for them.
It wants to be a biting satire and pulpy crime movie (and isn't a very good version of either of those things - though it's definitely better at the former.)

None of the characters were either cartoonish enough to be fun or developed enough to be relatable, with the exception of Diane Wiest who gets the award this year for most underutilised part in a movie.

It makes some bold decisions but ultimately doesn't have the skill to pull them off. It's like a couple rewrites away from being a good movie.

The specifics of it, that conservatorship in the US is fundamentally broken in a pretty frightening way, are interesting and rightfully infuriating. But the wider implication that the movie shoots for is that a money driven life makes you sociopathic and that exploiting legal loopholes is the same as organised crime, which... duh.

Grade: C

Last edited:

Stu75

I still have not seen It Chapter 2 as I found the first one a bit underwhelming and silly.
That being said - the book is CRAZY. Like absolutely trouser-eatingly insane. It's a great example of King's "talcum powder" writing period in the 80s.
I'd be surprised if you like the second if you didn't really care for the first.
I loved part one and found the sequel borderline ridiculous.

Drax1

Distinguished Member
It's about butter carving.... Hi studio head, I've got an idea I want to pitch to you:confused:
And it's actually pretty funny, with moments that had the wife and I looking at each other going wtf and laughing. Then we looked at each other and laughed again 'cos we're watching a movie about carving butter. Kinda surreal:D
Next minute Hugh Jackman is in it. I mean, seriously. Talk about a double take:rotfl:
I gotta give it 7/10
Only 4 days left on Prime. Watched a bit on my lunch and it looks like fun.

Belzok

Watched Commando and Con Air, both epic films if very old, on Star. Don't fancy anything else before my subscription ends as I have most on DVD or Bluray.

WeeScottishLass

Distinguished Member
What did you think?

It's definitely the weakest Irvine Welsh movie but it's adorably daft.
I remember finding the story about the baby hilarious when I was like 20.

I totally did not get on with this movie either.
I was surprised by how laid back it felt about the whole business. It either went too subtle or it missed the mark tonally. It has like a "live and learn..." vibe at the end which is like, no. Not quite acceptable.
I haven't watched it yet as I'll probably watch it on Friday 🙂

Coz22998

Distinguished Member
Spontaneous (2020, US iTunes, also streaming on Sky Go/Now TV)

A truly unique genre oddity that's part teen coming of age drama, part romantic comedy and part explosive body horror, all wrapped up into a delightful little package that's well worth tucking into.

Members of a small town's senior high school class just explode into a fountain of bloody parts for no reason at all and the film brings all the different issues that arise from this together through the focus of our way too intelligent lead and her burgeoning relationship with her classmate. The film lives or dies on the strengths of its leads and thankfully, the two here are wonderfully charming - sweary, damaged, pure cinematic creations they may be (although the nice gender swap of them having a pixie dream boy is a nice touch), but supremely charming nonetheless.

Katherine Langford has a lovely sardonic touch of the Olivia Cooke's (from Me, Earl and the Dying Girl) and Jessica Rothe's (from Happy Death Day) about her, while Charlie Plummer thankfully doesn't show a darker side to his not-annoying-nice-guy because he just is really that nice. And its this central relationship that ebbs and flows that drives the film - from meet cutes over Cronenberg film references to terrifying clinical isolation (where ET references take over as the order of the day) to hopeful (and horribly relevant) discussions about what the future could look like now this tragedy has taken place, they thoroughly convince.

Thankfully though, as great as they are together, the third act forces them apart and the film darkens as the horrible reality of this predicament - random and ridiculous on paper, but not so on screen - begins to come home and our leads have to deal with not just themselves but the town, the government and the entire world looking at them, judging them and being scared by them, forcing them to look to each other and feel the same way. Sure, the adults don't really get a look in, but its not that kind of film, the grown ups, as baffled and rendered as stupified by this situation as their kids, for nearly the entire run time in the same boat as us and their confused and scared offspring.

Ending on a wonderfully hopeful and more modern version of Renton's Trainspotting monologue, this film was a massive surprise - a hokey concept given weight and depth, with lots of different genres forced through the blender of pop culture awareness, a hugely likable lead pair and a killer soundtrack to boot.

Highly recommended.

bruce-leroy

Distinguished Member
Spontaneous (2020, US iTunes, also streaming on Sky Go/Now TV)

A truly unique genre oddity that's part teen coming of age drama, part romantic comedy and part explosive body horror, all wrapped up into a delightful little package that's well worth tucking into.

Members of a small town's senior high school class just explode into a fountain of bloody parts for no reason at all and the film brings all the different issues that arise from this together through the focus of our way too intelligent lead and her burgeoning relationship with her classmate. The film lives or dies on the strengths of its leads and thankfully, the two here are wonderfully charming - sweary, damaged, pure cinematic creations they may be (although the nice gender swap of them having a pixie dream boy is a nice touch), but supremely charming nonetheless.

Katherine Langford has a lovely sardonic touch of the Olivia Cooke's (from Me, Earl and the Dying Girl) and Jessica Rothe's (from Happy Death Day) about her, while Charlie Plummer thankfully doesn't show a darker side to his not-annoying-nice-guy because he just is really that nice. And its this central relationship that ebbs and flows that drives the film - from meet cutes over Cronenberg film references to terrifying clinical isolation (where ET references take over as the order of the day) to hopeful (and horribly relevant) discussions about what the future could look like now this tragedy has taken place, they thoroughly convince.

Thankfully though, as great as they are together, the third act forces them apart and the film darkens as the horrible reality of this predicament - random and ridiculous on paper, but not so on screen - begins to come home and our leads have to deal with not just themselves but the town, the government and the entire world looking at them, judging them and being scared by them, forcing them to look to each other and feel the same way. Sure, the adults don't really get a look in, but its not that kind of film, the grown ups, as baffled and rendered as stupified by this situation as their kids, for nearly the entire run time in the same boat as us and their confused and scared offspring.

Ending on a wonderfully hopeful and more modern version of Renton's Trainspotting monologue, this film was a massive surprise - a hokey concept given weight and depth, with lots of different genres forced through the blender of pop culture awareness, a hugely likable lead pair and a killer soundtrack to boot.

Highly recommended.

This has been on my radar since I saw a trailer many months ago. Another one to add to the endless list. :thumbsup:

Drax1

Distinguished Member
At some point I'm going to have to try and address my own "endless" list. It's crossed the acceptable line now.
My list has gotten insanely long since I got properly organized with a Letterboxd account. I love how everything is logged, by my watchlist is just crazy. It grows every day with all the recommendations on there and AVF...

Drax1

Distinguished Member
I gotta give it 7/10
Cheers for the heads up on this. I've just given it a go, and I'd say a 7/10 is about right. Very offbeat, and quite the cast too. Oh, and if anyone out there is an Olivia Wilde fan (I was very much part of that movement following Tron Legacy), you HAVE to see this...

richp007

Distinguished Member
My list has gotten insanely long since I got properly organized with a Letterboxd account. I love how everything is logged, by my watchlist is just crazy. It grows every day with all the recommendations on there and AVF...

Letterboxd was the worst thing that ever happened for me.

It brought structure to the chaos....

bruce-leroy

Distinguished Member
oo. Oh, and if anyone out there is an Olivia Wilde fan (I was very much part of that movement following Tron Legacy), you HAVE to see this...

SOLD

Edit: No-one told me Jennifer Garner, Wilde and Alicia Silverstone was in this!

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Trinnov Room Optimiser: A full explanation of Trinnov and its room optimiser technology
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Philips TV to offer Mimi Sound Personalisation
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Disney predicts shorter theatrical release windows
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung teases 76-inch MicroLED TV plus flagship Q950A soundbar
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Amazon Music fully available on Android TV and Google TV platforms