What film are you watching tonight/watched last night???

james03

E1CB8170-ED04-43DD-930F-59EA673252A2.jpeg
Open Range
Browsed Amazon and found this often forgotten gem of a western. A brooding Kevin Costner and Robert Duvall taking on Michael Gambon over that damned theme of grazing cattle.
Kevin Costner cops a bit of flack now and again but put him in a western and let him do what he does best and it’s hard to think of another actor who best suits the genre.

It’s a slow burn and tops in at well over 2 hours but everything here is top notch and everyone is on their game. If you like a decent western there’s nothing not to like and it’s one of the best of the past 25 years.
Thoroughly recommended

Big Rob

View attachment 1440599
Open Range
Browsed Amazon and found this often forgotten gem of a western. A brooding Kevin Costner and Robert Duvall taking on Michael Gambon over that damned theme of grazing cattle.
Kevin Costner cops a bit of flack now and again but put him in a western and let him do what he does best and it’s hard to think of another actor who best suits the genre.

It’s a slow burn and tops in at well over 2 hours but everything here is top notch and everyone is on their game. If you like a decent western there’s nothing not to like and it’s one of the best of the past 25 years.
Thoroughly recommended

You should look up the show Yellowstone, Costner is brilliant in it.

Tom Davies

Editorial Contributor
View attachment 1440599
Open Range

Thoroughly recommended
Open Range was Costner's comeback picture after Waterworld and The Postman so it got massively overlooked at the time, but yeah, it's pretty good!

redwing

Let him go.

I dont get what all the fuss was about with this. Heard so much about how great it was but it was pretty basic stuff. Costner said about 10 words in the whole thing, thats not a critisism hes good at the mean n moody cowboy, but it was all very predictable. Diane Lane was excellent.

A decent watch but nothing to go crazy over.

Rather watch Open Range above. Cracking Western.

richp007

Distinguished Member
View attachment 1440599
Open Range

Thoroughly recommended

One of the very best, and that end shootout is something very special indeed. Authentic and realistic in everything it did.

This opening to it is just stunning.

Robothamster

Distinguished Member
Just caught up on the last few pages so sorry to bring this up again but I've only seen Equilibrium once, in the cinema, and thought it was crap. As that's almost 20nyears ago, and tastes change over time, I'll try to give it another watch one day.

Also, The Road was mentioned, and I'm not sure I ever got around to watching it. Always meant to, but for some reason slipped me by. I'll add to my list as well.

encaser

Synchronic (2019)
Anthony Mackie and Jamie Dornan in a kind of sci fi tale about two paramedics who come across weird deaths and it's all down to a new designer drug called Synchronic. It shifts users through time and space and yawn. Dire and stale donkey piss soaked rubbish.
The only entertainment while I lasted (over an hour of wasted life), was which accent Dornan attempted next or remembered he was supposed to be pushing.
I couldn't even recommend this as a sleeping aid; due to frustration at trying to decide what you are watching and what the hell the director thought it was - indie, college video, sci fi, Mackie 'acting class'...

top4719

Tenet - 6/10 - All the negatives I'd heard about this film are sadly true, virtually incomprehensible plot, mumbled dialogue, loads of exposition, having said that it looks fantastic and some of the action scenes are amazing it truly is great to look at, not sure why Nolan had to make it so complex as the concept is very good.

alphaomega16

Distinguished Member
Tonight ive watched
Venom
Salt
Sharknado
Lavalantula

and a few other hallmark movies.

Drax1

Distinguished Member
Love, Antosha (2019, streaming free on UK Amazon Prime)

An often uncomfortable look back at the life of Anton Yelchin told by those who loved him (seemingly everyone) and more interestingly, himself.

Taking the similar format to recent documentaries of Hollywood types (I am Patrick Swayze, I Am Paul Walker), its told largely through a huge amount of archive footage (home movies, behind the scenes footage, film clips) and very honest talking heads, this one feels more personal, more like you're getting a glimpse under the subject's skin, thanks in part to having Yelchin's own voice be so prevalent - not just via the tonne of interviews he's done over the years, not just in the huge amount of home movies he and his friends and family shot, but in the diary excerpts read by, of all people, Nic Cage. Its both hauntingly eerie and yet hugely insightful, the film having to do far more to get anywhere near understanding its own subject because of the sheer depth of who he seemed to be.

Yelchin just appeared to be one of those rare individuals who could turn his hand to anything, yet also be the type of person everyone wanted him to be - from his obviously deep and loving relationship with his parents, to the interviews with almost everyone he ever worked with (the entire Star Trek cast, JJ Abrams, Jodie Foster, Frank Langella, Martin Landau, Jennifer Lawrence, Ben Foster, Willem Defoe, the list just goes on) and every one of them having an obvious deep and real link to him and their time together, its massively affecting.

We're not used to seeing the likes of Lawrence tear up at the thought of him or of Chris Pine rage against the injustice of his death, yet here they are. And its testament to just who Yelchin was, and how well this documentary captures his spirit, that the most affecting comment was made by Landau who simply said he would hate for the world to forget about him because he really was so good.......

Interestingly it didn't shy away from some of the darker sides of Yelchin - his obsession with those on the fringes of 'normal' society both shocked and amused his cast mates, yet its his battle with his own Cystic Fibrosis that seemed to shape him more in his later years, seemingly entering into an uneasy time in his life trying to do different things and accept who he is and make peace with this incurable disease of his at the time of his very tragic death.

It can't help itself entirely, its entire duration being scored a little too sentimentally when it really isn't needed, but amongst a sea of similar and very good looks under the skin of famous actors taken too young, this one just seems to hurt the most precisely because there is a sense of him being on the verge of doing so much more........

Massively affecting and worth watching to remind ourselves of just how much he had done and really of what we've missed out on. Doing a superb job of helping us understand its subject more than we did before, this is excellent and emotional documentary making
Enjoyed your review Coz. This wasn't on my radar at all, so I'll be giving it a go in the next day or so. Yelchin was a real talent and a terrible shame he passed so young.

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
Spiderman Far from Home 3D

Oh god, this film is fantastic in 3D. I feel in 4K HDR it'd show its flaws as being a bit of a basic, light hearted and emotionless Marvel film.

The beauty of the film is IMO in the 3D depth, pop out immersion, beautiful cinematography and the phenomenal audio mix. The opera scene in 2D looks like nothing.. in 3D its wow.

Great film, awesome experience and fun action scenes but I am very very very surprised at just how 'made for 3D' this film felt like. Sony & Marvel really nail it.

3D: 10/10
Audio (atmos): 9/10
Film: 7/10

encaser

Batman: Soul of the Dragon (2021)
You fig.JPG

David Giuntoli, Kelly Hu, Mark Dacascos and Michael Jai White.
This tale of defeating the serpent god Nāga, by way of this group of four trained by the fun O-Sensei, ably voiced by James Hong, is a very decent 70's style tale. You've got a sort of proto Batman that needs training still (sans Alfred), a still in learning Lady Shiva, Richard Dragon as a martial artist turned Black Magic chocolates spy and too cool for schooling Ben Turner.
It's delicously wrapped up in whaka-whaka guitar licks, language and set up. It all works really well, as you see the individual tales blend together of the group and how they develop into some kick-ass fighters, all of which with their personal flavours. Turner obviously brings the cool urban style, Shiva a learnt-to-be brutal leader of crime and guardian of the soul sword and Richard Dragon as the nobler of principle, whilst we all know batman's intent from a brutalized childhood that guided his life's emphasis.
All of which comes together on the island that houses Nāga's spirit. Surprise, surprise there's an evil-doer who thinks he's the chosen one to bring forth Nāga and play host to his master of all things hissy-in-fits. His right hand man, woman and blind fighter are fun too -while they last There's some very cool fight scenes throughout and lines like, " You fool, you lost your weapon." "I am, the weapon!" and Turner calling Bruce, 'White Rice' made me chuckle. Both the male characters and, in particular, Kelly Hu's Lady Shiva are something to behold.
I really enjoyed this in its style, pacing, and writing that work and don't get too hammy, serious or, boring with a repetitive or unimaginative fight count.
A really cool Batman outing.

Last edited:

Coz22998

Distinguished Member
Random question, but where does it display picture quality on the iPlayer?
No idea, sorry. Playing it on my Apple TV all the picture info says is ‘HD’ but having sampled it, it looks very good - looks like they’re using the recent Arrow Video remaster/restoration.

Lancia34

Distinguished Member
...and here we go...Mission Impossible (BD)

As I mentioned earlier I think this is my favourite, most likely to it being the first and having the essence of the TV show still, which is lost very quickly in the sequels.
My god Tom Cruise looks like a baby! Anyway, great espionage movie with a few action scenes littered about but this is more spy thriller than action flick - (you can see after the MI2 action-fest that they worked out a proper balance between spy story and big set pieces).

The film still looked great, had some of Brian de Palma's signature close-ups, cracking music throughout and even with the ridiculous ending on the train is still an absolute blast to watch.

I still can't believe that Emilio and Kristen get killed off within 20 minutes!

8/10

I'm looking to just get through MI2 - it is a fun action movie but so stupidly directed (sorry John Woo but you were once great but it got tiring a bit) and just falls into that 90's action movie type, trying to be so cool which nowadays just looks cheesy.

davidjohnson

Distinguished Member
I'm looking to just get through MI2 - it is a fun action movie but so stupidly directed (sorry John Woo but you were once great but it got tiring a bit) and just falls into that 90's action movie type, trying to be so cool which nowadays just looks cheesy.

I watched MI2 for only the second time recently and it wasn't as bad as I remembered it.

810a0pbcmML._AC_SL1500_.jpg

People always forget that Tim Robbins was in this though he could never have been in it ways as he would have been too tall for the Jets lol!

35 yrs old & still a good watch, someone of acting is so funny, especially Val Kilmer at times, I always felt Anthony Edwards never got the recognition he deserved though was more suited to TV in time, especially in E.R. Still love Michael Ironside though!

Was this a huge improvement over the Blu Ray, hmmmm certainy in the close ups of the actors etc, seeing their skin, sweat but in some scenes pretty much what you would accept. They did not enhance the sound in anyway for me set up, it's the same track, I felt the planes swooping by on the rear left & right could have been done much better, still love the film!

encaser

View attachment 1441007

People always forget that Tim Robbins was in this though he could never have been in it ways as he would have been too tall for the Jets lol!

35 yrs old & still a good watch, someone of acting is so funny, especially Val Kilmer at times, I always felt Anthony Edwards never got the recognition he deserved though was more suited to TV in time, especially in E.R. Still love Michael Ironside though!

Was this a huge improvement over the Blu Ray, hmmmm certainy in the close ups of the actors etc, seeing their skin, sweat but in some scenes pretty much what you would accept. They did not enhance the sound in anyway for me set up, it's the same track, I felt the planes swooping by on the rear left & right could have been done much better, still love the film!
Well, I suppose they could've lowered the seat for Tim or, taken out Tom's booster cushion.
I've only seen this once and don't intend on seeing it again. It was OK but a bit too Stars n' Stripey for me in ham levels.
And, yes, I'm wearing the prerequisite flame suit...

Tom Davies

Editorial Contributor
Well, I suppose they could've lowered the seat for Tim or, taken out Tom's booster cushion.
I've only seen this once and don't intend on seeing it again. It was OK but a bit too Stars n' Stripey for me in ham levels.
I'm very much in the same boat. I like it well enough but have never felt any kind of attachment to it. I surprised myself by being quite excited to see Maverick after the little behind the scenes promos they ran at the cinema before the apocalypse. On a technical level it looks pretty amazing.

You can try Iron Eagle which isn't so Stars & Stripes lol

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...

Latest News

What's new on Disney+ UK for February 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Focal releases 1000 Series integrated speakers
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Klipsch announces ProMedia 2.1 BT speaker set
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
No Time to Die gets pushed to 8th Oct 2021
  • By Andy Bassett