What film are you watching tonight/watched last night???

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Garrett, Mar 10, 2013.

1. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,834
  2. The Eggman72

The Eggman72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    Re watched Predators on bluray..hated it this time round...found picture very mediocre.....wont be in any rush to re watch.....

Last edited: Mar 10, 2013
  3. tvmcp

tvmcp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    Watched Gran Torino last night - excellent film!

4. Daddy k

Daddy k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,351
    I watched batman dark knight, followed by dark knight rises back to back at -5db from reference.

It was nice!
    And made me thing again how amazing Heath ledger made his joker.

5. Marky1973

Marky1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +311
    Last night watched Love after stumbling across the review here:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/blu-...1749976-love-blu-ray-review.html#post18659908

And also made some comments on that thred, so won't repeat them here, but it was an intriguing, low-budget sci-fi that asks some interesting questions about the meaning of life and what it means to be alone, the importance of communication and community - whether as part of an American Civil War army battalion or as a 2039 astronaut stranded in space after an unknown catastrophe on Earth.

There are nods to 2001, Solaris and even Sunshine in there somewhere and it is a film that dares you to think about what you have seen and decide for yourself what it all means in the end.....it is not completely obtuse or unaccessible, but it does ask for a bit more from its viewers than most.

But I liked it - and it has left me thinking about it today...

6. TheyCallMeTJ

TheyCallMeTJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,955
    I accidentally watched Scooby Doo 2. Then something happened, I laughed. I didnt feel disgusted, I laughed some more and then I could stop laughing. This film is so stupid and so much fun in a very very juvenile way! This is how to make a live action version of a beloved cartoon. Keep the stupidity, be faithful to the characters and go flaming wild. Shaggy is amazing. Ok, the laughs are hit and miss but its so relentless and absurd that those flat moments dissipates quickly. I need to now check out the first film. This film aint for everyone, I didnt think it was for me either and a 21% score on Rottentomatoes suggests to tread with caution...but I think that was always obvious.

a low brow, unashamed 6.5/10 of stupid fun.

7. W0LFIE

W0LFIE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +964
    Rust & Bone (French: De rouille et d'os)

on BluRay from Lovefilm (on Sat night)

Absolutely loved this film.
    Unfortunately decided to watch on the TV rather than the PJ with SS there's is some great cinematography that would have looked great of the big screen 9uderwater shots).
    Once it had finished I had an In Bruges moment where I realised I'd just watched one that's going on my all time fave films list.
    Both lead actors Marion Cotillard and Matthias Schoenaerts were outstanding.

I even watched the extras about the SFX which was subtle & really nicely done without spoiling the film. No crass commentry - it just shows you what you need to see with some background music - just a couple of minutes long.

Film - 10/10

8. lucasisking

lucasisking
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17,507
    Me & a mate had a night watching blokey trash.

Shoot 'em Up. Hilariously OTT actioner bordering on spoof- reminds me of the likes of Drive Angry or Machete. Clive Owen is growing on me, and Paul Giammati is always a joy to watch. Plenty of quotable one-liners. 6/10

Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter. One of the few times I've turned off a movie. Every bit as ludicrous as the previous movie, but without any of the fun factor. All I could think of was how much the protagonist resembled a young Liam Neeson. Immensely boring. 3/10

9. Marky1973

Marky1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +311
    Watched Devil last night on streaming....glad I didn't get it special like......good build up....atrocious ending....really let down. Just what was the point? Wouldn't recommend at all.

10. Sam Crow

Sam Crow
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,529
    Parker , was a bit meh jlo was pointless .. Side effect next

11. domtheone

domtheone
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,838
    Flight.

Denzel, as ever, is great. As too are the supporting cast (some faves of mine - Greenwood, Cheadle, Goodman). The woman who plays Nicole is excellent too.

The main "action" scene was terrific. Not sure how technically accurate/possible it all was (pilots feel free to comment). I actually watched it again when the film ended but i love stuff like that anyway.

Very solid 8/10

12. Robothamster

Robothamster
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,242
    Tyrannosaur.

Brilliant film, great acting and some pretty gritty scenes.

I was a bit concerned it was going to become a christian 'I've seen the light' film for a bit but thankfully it didn't.

8/10

13. Mr_Flash

Mr_Flash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297
    Life of Pi in 3D for me on Wednesday

This is only the 2nd film I've seen in 3D after the awful outing that was Saw 3D

Utterly stunning film as I had read by many others the 3D for life of pi simply immerses you more in the film. I cannot recommend this film enough, visually stunning and gripping.

I do seem to struggle with action scenes in 3D as it tends to blur and I find myself having to blink to regain proper focus

10/10

14. bruce-leroy

bruce-leroy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,221
    My recently watched films:

Total Recall (2012)

Glossy but vapid version of the Philip K. Dick story. Lacks the streak of dark humour running through Paul Verhoeven's 1990 blockbuster, instead taking itself far too seriously. The many references to the latter are also clunky and ill judged. The main plus side are the impressive special effects, and a handful of semi decent set pieces that fail to pull up any trees. Colin Farrell is good actor with the right material, but here he is charisma vacuum, and poorly directed by Len Wiseman. The key scene where he uses skills previously unaware of (post memory erasure) and his subsequent reaction is acting workshop 101 style. Only worth a watch if its on tv.

15. tvmcp

tvmcp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    Didn't like the new version of total recall at all, it added nothing to the original apart from up to date special effects.

Even kate Beckinsale didn't make up for the down sides for me

16. lucasisking

lucasisking
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17,507
    Spot on review.

...Except for the last sentence. Id say its only worth seeing on bluray- where you can enjoy the glorious AV quality. I wouldnt bother watching it on telly.

17. bruce-leroy

bruce-leroy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,221
    How about sky HD? ;)

18. lucasisking

lucasisking
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17,507
    Fine. But HD only please :lesson: ;)

19. raduv1

raduv1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,937
    Had two bits of cracking to totty though and that's about it.:smashin:

20. Robothamster

Robothamster
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,242
    Valhalla rising.

Started off ok then just got more boring and made less sense.

Was looking forward to it after seeing the great Drive as by same director but feel I've wasted 90 mins of my life.

4/10.

21. Metalhead Pete

Metalhead Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +243
    End Of Watch: Found it a bit slow to get going but otherwise thought it was alright, worth a rent IMO. 7/10

22. raigraphixs

raigraphixs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23,126
    Totally agree, saw it a few years back, it was a big disappointment

23. brian s

brian s
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13,165
    The husband and wife team of Olivia Colman and Eddie Marsan didn't work for me. They are both brilliant actors and I so wan't to like/appreciate this but their scenes together just seemed too forced. A valiant effort in many respects but it just wasn't right for me. A shame as there is so much talent involved but maybe it's just me.

Bri

24. bruce-leroy

bruce-leroy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,221
    Red Dawn (20??)

Not sure when this was actually made as Chris Hemsworth looks about twelve years old in it. It's never a good sign when the most memorable aspect about this remake is that the bad guys were changed from China to North Korea (even if it is slightly eerily relevant in light of recent events in that part of the world) when the producers realised they didn't want to alienate a huge market.

This updated Red Dawn requires a higher suspension of disbelief than usual to accept that a bunch of high schoolers plus Chris Hemsworth are able to outwit and outmanoeuvre an entire Army Squadron unit. The shift from Ruskies and the Cold War to North Korea isn't as effective as it should be either. Of course you could argue the same implausibilities about the original, but that movie had a cool cast with the likes of Patrick Swayze, Charlie Sheen and, er, C. Thomas Howell (who was hot stuff in those days). I remember the original being more enjoyable but that could be just nostalgia as its also very much rooted in b-movie conventions.

Here Hemsworth aside, it's largely a charisma free zone. There's plenty of action but they're very run of the mill set pieces and my pulse didn't didn't race once. The movie also feels extensively cut, e.g. There's a Russian special forces guy introduced as an antagonist, but he doesn't get anything to do? It all ends very abruptly with a cringe-inducing speech that Bill Pullman in Independence Day wouldn't be caught delivering. If a sequel is planned you can count me out.

25. Movie BEXtra

Movie BEXtra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +293
    The Bay

Another shaky cam documentary style footage. What grabbed my attention first was that its from the makers of Insidious and Sinister two movies I really enjoyed. I also liked the sound of the plot, which centers around a geological disaster in a small seaside town. While the story was ok it was marred by the delivery style, I'm not overly opposed to shaky cam style, infact last night I watched End Of Watch the story was gripping and overpowered the shaky cam footage style delivery which in comparison to The Bay was slight in use. The latter actually gave me a slight headache and eye strain. It will not uphold a second viewing either, glad I only rented.

Film enjoyment: 5/10

26. Movie BEXtra

Movie BEXtra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +293
    Gattaca

A great sci-fi thriller ahead of its time. Set in a world where Genetic imperfections can be diagnosed at birth, The story follows Vincent(Ethan Hawke) sadly a victim of the above and seemingly always second best to his perfect brother Anton. Vincent ignores his diagnosis and follows his dream of space travel. This film was ahead of its time and can still stand up to the sic-fi hollywood blockbusters of today. Not reliant on special effects to wow you, the story detail, enormous depth and delivery is more than enough. And sometimes what is lacked in some films today.

Film enjoyment: 7/10

27. chris redfield

chris redfield

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    godfather part 1-

looking forward to part 2 tomorrow night.

28. bruce-leroy

bruce-leroy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,221
    That's My Boy (2012)

That's My Boy is clearly an attempt by Adam Sandler to rekindle the magic of one of his most successful comedies - The Wedding Singer. It has the same 80s vibe, 80s inspired soundtrack, but the central relationship is father and son instead of boy and girl. Unfortunately, it's nowhere near as good as the latter but that doesn't mean it's a turkey in the vein of (I presume) Jack and Jill - I've heard really bad things and I've no interest in watching Sandler in drag so I will prejudge it as a turkey.

If you give it a go, it's actually marginally better than recent efforts such as Grown Ups and Just Go With It. Sandler plays Donny Berger who, as a kid in high school, got his teacher pregnant and has lived off this infamy ever since. The only problem is people stopped being interested after precisely 15 minutes and money doesn't last long when you're a bit of a loser who neglects his child's upbringing for booze and partying. Now middle aged and a complete bum, Donny needs some urgent cash to pay the IRS or prison beckons. That's where his kid comes into the fold as a reunion will get him the dosh to pay the taxman. However, so traumatised by his upbringing was his kid that he ran away and created a whole new identity for himself. And that's where the 'fun' begins.......

Clearly this movie is a wish fulfilment fantasy as the high school teacher is a total hottie who actually fancies the teenaged Donny (which is also obviously dubious but gets away with it being a nonsensical comedy). As an adult, despite being a loser, overweight and no Brad Pitt, all women find Donny irresistible. Sandler plays his usual man child and almost every comedy moment resorts to a crude joke or sight gag. There's a nice bit of self deprecating humour from Vanilla Ice as himself - he now works as a hot dog vendor - and some decent cameos thrown in. As i said, its better than his recent stuff but not as good as Wedding Singer or my own guilty pleasure Don't Mess With The Zohan. Most memorable part of the movie is the killer soundtrack.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2013
  29. Sam Crow

Sam Crow
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,529
    One of the worst films I have ever seen

30. bruce-leroy

bruce-leroy
    Distinguished Member