what ffdshow settings do you recomend ?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by jamieuk23, Mar 22, 2006.

1. jamieuk23

jamieuk23
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Hi I am new to HTPC game.

I have bought and downloaded TT 2.2 and notice you can use ffdshow. I have tried using the nvidia drivers but I find the picture still a little fuzzy and not so sharp

I am confused on which settings would work best for me using ffdshow, I am hopeing that if I give you my PC specs etc that you can advise me on what settings to use.. (would like to upscale DVD image as welll )

6600 geforce graphics card

Optoma HD72 Projector 1280x768 resolution

connection = HDMI

Software = TheaterTek DVD 2.2

all so I am confused in the configuration setting in TT under video it says >> overlay >> vmr7 + vmr9 what exactly do these do ??

thanks to any one who can help me out really do apreciate it !!

2. steel_kelly

steel_kelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
  3. jamieuk23

jamieuk23
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    what is the diffrence between overlay and VMR9 and VMR7 ??

does any of them work better than the other for picture Quality ?

:thumbsup:

4. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    VMR7 was introduced in DirectX version 7, VMR9 in version 9. The only main difference was that VMR9 added 'renderless' mode which can greatly increase quality, though seems susceptible to driver/card combinations. As with many such config options, the best way to decide what to use is simply try it with your particular setup.

Traditionally, ATI cards were better in Overlay mode, while Nvidia were better with VMR .. they're simply different ways the gfx card and software use to display the image. One major advantage of VMR (maybe only VMR9, not sure) is that you it uses the 3D rendering features of the gfx card, so you can apply AA and AF settings to tweak the image, Overlay doesn't support these image enhancers.

As for FFDSHOW, its' main use is as a scaler, to resize the image to match that of the display you're using (aka. 1:1 mapping, as long as you set the Windows desktop to the same size), use the Resize filter, select Lanczos as the scaling method and set Parameter to 2, never any higher .. get that running first then maybe look at other filters, but I rarely use anything else.

BTW, you'll get a larger audience perhaps for this in the HTPC forum, this one is mainly used to discuss dedicated scalers and the like.