1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Features would you look for when Buying Projetor?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Jazzartist, Jun 5, 2003.

1. Jazzartist

Jazzartist

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hallo Folks ,

I have been considering buying projector . Which I want to use for my family of small size and the room of 20 feet * 20 feet . In dimly lit room.The following are the features I am considering while buying . I am seeking the community members valuable suggestions as to what to add to my list and what to deduct from the list . The following are the features I am considering .

Native Resolution : XGA ( Is SVGA good enough?)
    Display : DLP
    Computaer comatiabilty : SVGA, XGA
    Video compatiabilty : PAL , SECAM , NTSC ,EDTV, HDTV.
    Brightness: Minium 700 Lumen , 1000( Desireable )
    Contrast Ratio : 500:1 minium to 2000 :1
    Digital Key stone correction +/- 20 Degree
    Lens : Zoom lens with focus , manual adjust
    Aspect Ratio : 16:9 and 4:3
    Minium Projection Distance : 1.2 meter maximum 10 meters.
    Image size: 20 Inches to 250 Inches.
    Lamp life: 3000 Hours
    Audiable Noise : Less then 35 Db
    Product warranty : 2 years
    Portability

Jazzartist

PS : I want to select in beteween Panasonic, Sanyo , Infocus, Hitachi .

2. Anders_UK

Anders_UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You wont have any problems finding a PJ that meets all of those and more. The most important limiting factor will be the reddies you have to spend.

If you also have a desired location in mind for your set up then look a bit further into the lens options and also the projection axis offset, as most single chip DLP's will have greater than 100% (where top or bottom of image is at centre of lens) shift, this is very good for ceiling mounted systems without the need for too much geometry correction.

Personally I would go for the Infocus LP 650, with the added bonus of DVI input and network link plus control over RS 232.

3. Technophobe

Technophobe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If your going the DLP route then be sure to check the colour wheel speed to minimise rainbows. You don't say what your budget is but also take a look at: Sharp Z90e or Z9000/10000e, Optoma H50, Toshiba MT5/MT8, NEC HT1000, Sim2Ht200DM
    Other than InFocus the manufacturers you mention arn't really known for DLP, but more LCD. Unless I've missed something?

Technophobe

4. Jazzartist

Jazzartist

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Technophobe and Anders ,
    Thanks to both of you . Technophobe can you suggest me some good LCD models as well . I have not recahed my final decision. I would welcome any suggestions. My budget is bit tight about Us $ 2000 to 2500. Regards.

Jazzartist