• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

what extras do I need?


Established Member
i recently purchased a Canon EOS450d, which came with an 18-55mm lens.
I will be purchasing UV filters, and on amazon I saw there was a set of 3 (not Canon) UV, fluorescent and polarizer.
I am also on the verge of buying a 55-200mm lens - do I need a lens hood?
If i buy the hood, do i also need the UV filters?
Sorry for sounding a bit thick, but I am just getting started!



Prominent Member
I DONT use 'protection' filters. I suggest you do the same.

A cheap UV filter is going to hurt image quality. An expensive one isnt worth using on the kit lens.

Get the 55-250IS instead of the 55-200.

Yes to lens hoods there always worth having (get 3rd party ones if canons are too much).

A polariser is always worth having, you wont use it all the time but its a great tool.

As to what else depends what you will shoot.

A tripod
Remote cable release
lens cleaning cloth (microfiber)

Deleted member 27989

Any lens I have bought always came with a Lens hood.

I'm probably a sucker, but I did by Hoya HD UV filters for my recent two lenses. It is remarkable how finger prints do not stick to those at all.

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom