1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What exactly is ".1"

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Family Guy, Mar 14, 2002.

1. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I watched "The Replacement Killers" last night. Film itself was pretty run of the mill but the soundtrack was so excessive, I nearly saw myself looking for a new sub today.

The bass overwhelmed the whole thing. Now here's my argument:

You often see reviewers writing lines like "trouser flapping bass" or "a low frequency channel that will rock your foundations". BUT - has anybody ever read "a centre channel mix to die for!", or "the sorround left mix in this film was the best I've ever heard"? I didn't think so.

SO - why do disc makers play around with the ".1" cahnnel? There are a few films I could name, Independence Day being top of the list, where the bass has been so excessive that it has actually ruined my enjoyment of a movie rather than enhance it.

I remember an argument recently between Dolby and DTS recently. It was to do with the re releases of Twister and the Lethal Weapon Movies. Several tests were done and (apparantly) it was proved that DTS had upped the volume of the LFE channel and the rears to make it sound "better". I ahve never heard these re releases so can't comment personally. But it appears to me that Dolby may be just as guilty of hoicking up a channel or 2 to make the sound more dynamic.

To me, I'd rather just hear what I did in the Cinema.

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I never thought that i would agree with a Fulham suporter but this time I do.

The whole idea of "home cinema" is exactly that.

3. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You can always turn down the volume of your subwoofer...:devil:

4. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Hi All,

Yes you could alter the level of the sub but then you are altering how the sound tracks are in relationship to each other. The film makers not only worked on what sound goes on which channel to make sure the correct trouser leg flaps when it should when listening to the sound track and digital processing should not be used to grab attention to any one channel. :)

5. philmate

philmate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Is it what the director intended? I don't think so.

Philmate.

6. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,553
    Well that just means your system is not set up correctly.

7. lmccauley

lmccauley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +212
    Could also be that your room has a resonant frequency that coincides with a frequency used a lot in ID4. It can easily raise the level by 6db.

Cheers,
    Liam

8. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    your obviously sitting to near your subroofer..
    try moving further away and taking measuremenst with your spl meter. when you hit 65db you can sit down and enjoy the movie..

chucky

9. MarkB

MarkB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I often find that setting the sub a bit hit and miss – even with the meter. I tend to engage pure direct, play a decent CD with lots of bass (massive attack, something like that) and setting it that way, by ear. Usually it's about at 65% of the sub volume. Also I turn the cut-off to just below 80Hz at which point the sub seems to "disappear".

I do agree though that some DVD's mixes' LFE .1 channel leave a lot to be desired, but on the whole I'm happy with it.

Mark

10. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All the levels on my system are set to the same level using a SPL and the Ultimate Platinum DVD. I know the golden rule is not to set your levels using an external source, but if you amp dosen't have a LFE test tone output, what choice do I have?

Using this disc, I actually discovered that the DTS LFE channel on my amp (a Yammy A2) was some 7 db lower than the Dolby Digital level. Now I've hoicked the level up by 7bd in DTS mode only, I now see what all the fuss is about that paticular sound format. My point here is that the LFE is excessive on SOME movies, but not all. Films like PEARL HARBOUR sound fine. This tells me that the LFE has been messed around with on some discs.

11. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This would only alter the quality of bass, not the volume. I am by no means an expert at this game, but once I've moved the sub, would I not then adjust the levels so that they are all the same on the SPL again. Seems pointless to me.

12. lmccauley

lmccauley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +212
    Have you measured the in-room frequency response from, say 100Hz down? You may find two big peaks corresponding to the wavelengths of the length and width of your room. Mine occur at 80Hz and about 56Hz. Certain songs that hit those frequencies regularly can sound overpowering.

Cheers,
    Liam

13. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds good.:) How do you do it?:confused:

14. lmccauley

lmccauley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +212
    Do you have a laptop, or PC with CD burner?

If so, download some software that can generate tones at specific frequencies and either hook up to your amp or burn a CD of tones from, say 100Hz-20Hz in 5 Hz intervals. Add in a track with 1kHz as well for reference.

Use your SPL meter and set the volume on your amp so that the 1kHz tone is 75db.

Then measure the SPL of each of the other tones, put into a spreadsheet and plot a graph of frequency vs SPL.

Cheers,
    Liam

15. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many Thanks. Will give that a go next week when I have finished nights.

My next question will be - what do you do about the trouble freq's? The only thing I can think of is an EQ.

16. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many Thanks to Liam for helping me sort out my bass problem. I visited that site and downloade the test tone, but when I burnt them onto a CD, it was blank? 3 hours nearly downloading 9megs for nothing. However, the ultimate platinum disc has a frequency sweep from 125 - 20 hz. I ran my amp up to 75db and ran this sweep. About 2/3 of the way through, the needle on my SPL flew of the scale so I guessed that there was a problem somewhere.

I trowled back through some of UNCLE ERIC'S old posts and found some advice about putting tiles in the corners of the room. So a quick trip to B&Q and hey presto, no more nasty boom.

I love this forum.:p

17. lmccauley

lmccauley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +212
    I'm glad it worked out so well for you. I've had so much help from people on this forum that it's nice to give something back.

Cheers,
    Liam

18. Confucius

Confucius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    There's a spreadsheet available here in either real or metric measurements for calculating the sweet spot(s) for sub placement & listening.