1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What ex-flagship amp would be best??

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by jon smith, Jul 20, 2002.

1. jon smith

jon smith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    Right, after my 6.1 thread and a discussion with the Missus I am seriously considering changing my Marantz 7200 for a 2nd hand ex flagship amp.

Not that bothered about DPL2 (would rather have better quality 5.1 to be honest) and will only be having 5 speakers at mo.

Which would you recommend out of these - couldn't think of any others that would fit the bill (i'd imagine a few fair of few have owned at least one of these)

Yamaha DSPA1 - about £400
    Yamaha DSPA2 - about £250-300
    Yamaha DSPAX2 - £500 new
    Pioneer E08 - £600 new
    Denon 10SE and
    AVC1D - both would be about £600 each 2nd hand I suppose.

So would do you reckon. Yammy A1 is obviously best value for money (would have preferred something in gold, but hey), but would be happy to spend the extra £200 if it was worth it (hopefully could sell the Marantz for a reasonable amount).

Is to go with my new Kef Eggs and Vibe Alpha 1 sub which should be here next week.

Ta, jon

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +829
    Hi

The Yamaha DSPA1/DSPA2 and Denon AVCA1D don´t have EX/ES decoding. All very good amps though. The Denon A10SE does but is only a five channel amp and needs the extra 2ch power amp to run the surround back channels. Same applies to the Pioneer I think.

Bear in mind none of these amps have Pro-Logic 2, so if you can live without that then they are all very good. My money would be on the A10SE.

3. Samir

Samir

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Jon
    If you are not worried about PL2 then i would add the Pioneer VSX 909 THX Ultra to your list. You then also have the option of adding the MX10 power amp for EX/ES if you wish. But beware e Pioneer's are great with movies but stuggle alittle with music playback.
    If you are after an amp for a movies and music set up then I would go for the Denon.

Pioneer VSX 909g £600
    Pioneer MX 10 £200 (matching power amp for ES08 & 909)

Samir

4. jon smith

jon smith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    Thanks guys, not having a great day so far...

Ordered an exdem Yammy A1 for £400 and it turned up today (has a fair few scratches on top of the unit and the remote, so it may be going back - i'll give it a demo later and see how it fairs soundwise). So may still be on the look out for another amp.

If I do replace this Yammy, i'm going to restrict myself to £550-600 so that leaves the original choices above or maybe a new AX2 for £500. Home cinema is starting to do my head in

Stereo performance doesn't really bother me that much.

Anymore thoughts?

jon

5. marcoeser

marcoeser
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Jon,
    here's another thought no one has suggested, and I don't know if you can still find them and if its within your budget. It is the Sony TAE-9000es. If you're looking for the ultimate 5.1 experience at a low cost, then this is it. obviously you'll need an amp as it just a processor, but you might be able to use your old Marantz as a power amp, I don't know its specs. Later, upgrade to a better power amp.

Plus, its Gold. he he he he

marc

6. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I also went from a Marantz 6200 to a second hand Denon A10SE and am very pleased. Like yourself I didn't want the extended surround formats but the A10SE has the necessary decoders all included but you need to buy the two channel amp to drive them. This appeals to me as I don't like paying for facilities that I don't use.

It is excellent in stereo even though you said that is not a priority but I do miss PL2 more than I thought I would.

When this model first came out, HCC raved over it and their test report is probably available online.

Unfortunately I have no direct experience of the others on your list so cannot offer an opinion.

7. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Like Ian, i used to have a Denon AVC10SE.
    I thought it was a really cool machine....enjoyed it very much.
    Very good movie decoding & no slouch in the 2 channel dept.
    I only sold it to travel down the processor/power amp route.

I'm sure you would be happy if you heard one.

Adzman

8. jon smith

jon smith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    I would also be happy if I found one 2nd hand. Having real trouble finding anything at the moment.

In truth, I think all the amps I mentioned would be good... all comes down then to price and user friendly bits and bobs I suppose.

Ta, john