What ever you do, do not buy a Nokia

Status
Not open for further replies.

esbo

Standard Member
Reaction score
If you have the same experience as me you will bitterly regret it.

I got a 5230, it does the basics, makes calls, has camera etc..

However when you get to using the horrendous software from Nokia you will regret it.

If I could describe Nokia in won word it would be *PIG*.

IT takes forever to install it is hard to find the software, it has a PC suit and and OVI suite (fook knows what that is and whats the difference).

It leaves loads of processes running on you computer, doing nothing aparently,
even when you close one of it aplications it takes an ages "shutting down piece of carp from Nokia....." long wait...

I just want to be able to do simple stuff like back-up and tranfer a few files, however that ain't good enough for Nokia, they want to take over my PC and my life apparently!!

I could not get it to do the things I wanted it to do however it went ahead doing thinfs I didn't want it to do.

I have no idea what is going on it is totally confusing, absolutely horrendous.

I seem to have two things doing the same thing, PC Suite and OVI suite,
I can't get the PC suite to work because I don't have a USB cable, however I do have bluetooth and it should be able to do that.

Anyway Nokia have signed their own death warrent as far as I am concerned,
I will never buy Nokia again.

The dammed thing has almost reduced me to tears.

How can it take so long to install a simple application, why does it cripple my PC in the process?

As I said earlier.

NOKIA IS A PIG. :thumbsdow:thumbsdow:thumbsdow:thumbsdow:thumbsdow

Right now I have tried it again and apparently it can use Bluetooth now, despite before saying it had to be USB cable!!

Also it charged me 10p for something it said was free "important updates from nokia" or whatever.
COmplete rip-off, it also made loads of charges before for other unknown mesages
"TMO Network Coupon 2101 QOS1000"

The last one was for 84000 TMO Network SMSReply1Unbranded 1 Events £0.10

I have tried calling their 'support' :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:
to find out about it but they are a complete waste of space.
I am pretty disgusted with them really.

Are other operators like this?

RIght now it says it has backed it up but when I look to see where it said it backed it up there
are no files with and appropiate date.

Found some other stuff else where in an unreadable format of the same date.

I can't find anything from my phone in a useful format.

I will be contacting Nokia and informing them of this thread and producing similar ones all over the net including youtube videos so that people who are thinking of buy an nokia know what they are letting themselves in for!!

I copied this from someones blog, it pretty much some up how I feel:-

Hi Nokia,

I have been a long time (15 years) user of Nokias, but your Ovi suite is a complete disaster.

It hardly ever works, sucks all the resources from my PC, and tells me it wants to update by downloading a 65GB file. And it needs a reboot after installing (does software still need to reboot?),. No thanks!

Never lets me update my phone, fails to sync… I could go on and on. I'm so dissapointed.

This is why you are losing market share to Apple. They figure out that the phone, computer and internet should work easily together. Bingo.

It's a real shame, because you make great phones. I don't like Apple, but I think the time may have come

Did Nokia employ some of those failed bankers who bankrupt the western world by any chance?

Oh and if you want to copy your notes to your PC, you have to get microsoft outlook, which costs £120.

DONT EVEN THINK ABOUT BUYING A NOKIA!!

I have to say, I have no issues at all with PC suite. I feel that many of your problems are due to your approach. Most would disappear with a reading of the on-screen instructions. For example, when you select to connect a new handset it asks you to choose which method you want to connect (Bluetooth, USB, infra-red etc).
I also don't think there is any need for insults directed at them.

I've got a Nokia N95 8GB and it's been working nicely for the past 3 yrs. PC Suite is excellent too! I don't use OVI suite so can't comment on that. But the PC Suite keeps everything in sync. And once I'm in range of my computer, I don't even need to bring out my phone anymore! I can receive and send texts via the computer, view, modify, backup and sync contacts and lots of other stuff. Maps is also pretty good!

Think you're alone with the experiences you've had! Looking forward to upgrading to the N8 when it comes out

Also it charged me 10p for something it said was free "important updates from nokia" or whatever.
COmplete rip-off, it also made loads of charges before for other unknown mesages
"TMO Network Coupon 2101 QOS1000"

The last one was for 84000 TMO Network SMSReply1Unbranded 1 Events £0.10

I have tried calling their 'support' :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:
to find out about it but they are a complete waste of space.
I am pretty disgusted with them really.

Are other operators like this?

Okay, so you're knocking Nokia, but this is an issue with your contract/operator. Nothing to do with Nokia.

I've had a 5230 for a good few months now, and its turning out to be the most pleasant Nokia I've used for quite a long time.

GPS works perfectly on it, Ovi maps is good (map loader in Ovi is quite good), Sports Tracker is a fantastic running monitor application. Install Opera Mobile and you've got a darned good browser. Its reliable, functional, does virtually everything I could want.

Never had any problems with Ovi suite - no way is it a 65gb application (not even 65mb!).

If you want to see a *true* resource hog, look at iTunes. That has always been a chronic CPU and network resource hog. Sucks all the CPU cycles it can whilst downloading podcasts, unable to throttle it back on downloads.

I have to say, I have no issues at all with PC suite. I feel that many of your problems are due to your approach. Most would disappear with a reading of the on-screen instructions. For example, when you select to connect a new handset it asks you to choose which method you want to connect (Bluetooth, USB, infra-red etc).
I also don't think there is any need for insults directed at them.

OK then seeing as it is so easy, where are the notes?

Who do I din them?

How do I get them onto my PC?

Okay, so you're knocking Nokia, but this is an issue with your contract/operator. Nothing to do with Nokia.

I've had a 5230 for a good few months now, and its turning out to be the most pleasant Nokia I've used for quite a long time.

GPS works perfectly on it, Ovi maps is good (map loader in Ovi is quite good), Sports Tracker is a fantastic running monitor application. Install Opera Mobile and you've got a darned good browser. Its reliable, functional, does virtually everything I could want.

Never had any problems with Ovi suite - no way is it a 65gb application (not even 65mb!).

If you want to see a *true* resource hog, look at iTunes. That has always been a chronic CPU and network resource hog. Sucks all the CPU cycles it can whilst downloading podcasts, unable to throttle it back on downloads.

Are you someone who works for Nokia?

Because they always try to blame someone else!!

How can it be an issue with my contractor/operator? Nokia make the phone.

OK seeing as it is so simple you will have no problem telling me
a) Where my notes are stored.

B) How to access then from my PC.

Before you answer, assuming you can, I am not going to fork out £120 to by Microsoft Outlook!! :thumbsdow:thumbsdow:thumbsdow:thumbsdow

Second point, how do I stop Nokia programs running on my PC when I am not using them?

I am talking about all the stuff that begins with a capital 'N' in the list of processors.

Why are they running? What are they doing?

Second point, how do I stop Nokia programs running on my PC when I am not using them?

I am talking about all the stuff that begins with a capital 'N' in the list of processors.

Why are they running? What are they doing?

Start\Run\MSConfig

choose the startup tab and uncheck the stuff you don't want running.

You don't actually have to use OVI or PC suite if you only want to transfer files between the phone/PC. just send them to the PC over Bluetooth.

btw..if you hate the phone why not return it?? then buy a Samsung/Sony Ericsson/LG.... then you can experience some truly awful PC software.....

finally...Clonmult's response to your multiple posts was perfectly civil...If you wish to remain an active member of AVF and receive some more helpful responses I suggest you make your responses a little less hostile

Last edited:
Start\Run\MSConfig

choose the startup tab and uncheck the stuff you don't want running.

You don't actually have to use OVI or PC suite if you only want to transfer files between the phone/PC. just send them to the PC over Bluetooth.

btw..if you hate the phone why not return it?? then buy a Samsung/Sony Ericsson/LG.... then you can experience some truly awful PC software.....

finally...Clonmult's response to your multiple posts was perfectly civil...If you wish to remain an active member of AVF and receive some more helpful responses I suggest you make your responses a little less hostile

I intend returning it, however I expect they will refuse to give me a refund.
Also I have £20 credit on my pay s you go card.

So you accept it is crap? Yes?

Also note nobody was able to tell me how to read the notes onto my
PC without forking out £120 for MS Outlook.

Even when you do that apparenly it still does not work.

As I said IT'S A RIP-OFF!!

I intend returning it, however I expect they will refuse to give me a refund.
Also I have £20 credit on my pay s you go card.

So you accept it is crap? Yes?

Also note nobody was able to tell me how to read the notes onto my
PC without forking out £120 for MS Outlook.

Even when you do that apparenly it still does not work.

As I said IT'S A RIP-OFF!!

No, it isn't a rip off. In the slightest. The 5230 is the most fully featured phone at the price - nothing comes close apart from the 5800, and thats double the price. £80 for a phone, worldwide satnav, music player, camera, video recorder. The Ovi suite isn't great, but it works. The only thing its not so hot on is video conversion, but plenty of other (free) apps out there as alternatives.

You can easily transfer files between the phone and the PC without bluetooth or the Ovi suite. Just plug in a USB cable from the PC to the phone, the phone will ask what sort of connection - select "Mass transfer". Then the phone will appear as any old USB memory stick (which is pretty cool - I've connected it to the PS3 for video and music playback).

How long have you had the phone? If you're within the first 7 or 14 days you *may* be able to get a refund or exchange - if the phone is faulty. Which I seriously doubt, the fault does actually appear to be elsewhere ....

edit : Why did you have to buy outlook??????

Last edited:
If you want to sync your notes with your PC, then obviously you need PIM software on your PC to sync with. PC Suite will sync with a variety of PIM software, including Outlook.
Perhaps, you are confusing notes with a plain text document? Which you would just copy across.
This is (generally) a civilised forum where we have grown up discussions. There are plenty of people on here who will offer help and assistance with getting to grips with a smartphone, but not when you are so hostile.

No, it isn't a rip off. In the slightest. The 5230 is the most fully featured phone at the price - nothing comes close apart from the 5800, and thats double the price. £80 for a phone, worldwide satnav, music player, camera, video recorder. The Ovi suite isn't great, but it works. The only thing its not so hot on is video conversion, but plenty of other (free) apps out there as alternatives.

You can easily transfer files between the phone and the PC without bluetooth or the Ovi suite. Just plug in a USB cable from the PC to the phone, the phone will ask what sort of connection - select "Mass transfer". Then the phone will appear as any old USB memory stick (which is pretty cool - I've connected it to the PS3 for video and music playback).

How long have you had the phone? If you're within the first 7 or 14 days you *may* be able to get a refund or exchange - if the phone is faulty. Which I seriously doubt, the fault does actually appear to be elsewhere ....

edit : Why did you have to buy outlook??????

When you try and sync note it says you need MS Outlook before you can sync. I have heard that even if you have Outlook it does not work.
Anyway I am not paying £120 to find out!! Or paying £120 under any circumstances!!

You cannot use mass transfer because I have tried and you cannot find where the notes are stored. I have searched every file for text string in the notes in both ascii and hex but I cannot find them.

It seems to me Nokia do not want you to find them because they see this as an opportunity to make money by forcing you to use MS outlook or some other method which will cost you money.

Transfering the notes should be a simple operation, a doddle, they have made it impossible for me with incurring extra cost, that disgusts me.
It says a lot about the company I think and what it says is not nice at all,
it paints an ugly picture.

Another happy nokia user here, I have a 5800 and my wife has a 5230, neither of us have experienced the problems you describe.

So you can tell me how to transfer the note across then?

That's the problem, you can't.

So why can't you accept I am right?

Just because you don't use the faulty features does not mean it is OK.

If you want to sync your notes with your PC, then obviously you need PIM software on your PC to sync with. PC Suite will sync with a variety of PIM software, including Outlook.
Perhaps, you are confusing notes with a plain text document? Which you would just copy across.
This is (generally) a civilised forum where we have grown up discussions. There are plenty of people on here who will offer help and assistance with getting to grips with a smartphone, but not when you are so hostile.

No I do not 'obviously' need PIM software, all I need is to be able to transfer across the notes as a simple text file, because that is all they are.

Hence *obviously* you have no idea what you are talking about or you have a vested interest in talking up Nokia.

A civilized company does not try to rip off it's customers by forcing them to buy expensive software they do not need to do a simple operation.
So if Nokia want civilized comments about their software then they will have to start behaving like a civilized company not a fly by night rip-off-merchant!!

I have explained the problem and there should be a simple solution, none has been provided so why not just accept Nokia are at fault?

Ot do you work for them or something like that?

"This is (generally) a civilised"

In a civilised world rip-off companies go bust, I am civilised enough to want to be a part of making that happen.

IF Nokia are a civilised company they don't have a problem.

The "(generally)" was a nice touch by the way ;)

I think this has gone far enough, if esbo wants to cool down and review his posting style and PM me to ask politely to have this reopened then I may reconsider but as things stand this crusade against Nokia and aggressive replies to members trying to help him has no place here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom