What Ever Happened to the Mini-Series?

I remember a mini-series many years ago called "For the Term of his Natural Life" about a man wrongly convicted of murder in the 1800's and sent to Australia as a convict. He eventually got back to England to face his imposter. It starred Anthony Perkins & Patrick McGoohan in supporting roles.

Glimmer said:
I remember a mini-series many years ago called "For the Term of his Natural Life" about a man wrongly convicted of murder in the 1800's and sent to Australia as a convict. He eventually got back to England to face his imposter. It starred Anthony Perkins & Patrick McGoohan in supporting roles.

Thanks Glimmer, that one's been bugging me for ages. Just couldn't remember the title. I recall the main character was called Rufus I think.
Over to IMDB for more......

Hi,

The mini-series used to be a TV event - something that would get everyone watching TV for anything upto two weeks solid, night after night!

It used to be the case that a mini-series would run over a Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights, in the USA, so three parts running to about 2 hours each would be made. Nowadays, because there are hundreds more channels to choose from, and with TV companies believing that viewers no longer have long attention spans, (which is obviously total bull, because films like "Schindler's List", "Saving Private Ryan", "Gladiator", "Troy", Das Boot", "Dances With Wolves", and "The Pianist" all stretch well over average movie-running-time), a mini-series is normally reduced down to just two two-hour parts, and shown over consecutive nights, at anytime of the week,

Mini-series are still being made, and "Dune" / "Children Of Dune" are classified as such, however they are not considered by the TV industry to be the same kind of big "event TV shows", that they used to be. Certainly not like "Roots", "The Winds Of War", "V", "The Bible" or some of the other true great TV mini-series'! And they do still turn up on UK TV. "Das Boot" was recently shown on BBC2 and BBC3. "Children Of Dune" has been on Hallmark. "The Count Of Monte Cristo" with Gerrard Depardieu, was shown over Christmas 2002/New Year 2003. They do get shown, but are simply not seen as series that everyone will want to watch. After all, why pay £2million to air a mini-series, when we can simply repeat so much older stuff of our own, for next to nothing, and probably get better ratings, TV execs ask?! I understand this thought, although I think it's led to severe dumbing down of TV schedules. If films like those I mentioned above, can buck the trend of the 90-minute movie, then why can't the same thing happen to TV. UK viewers will stay faithful to genuinely good shows, as has been proven with shows like "Murder One" or "24". (Shows which can't really be dipped-into on and off, whenever a viewer feels like it. They command our attention, right from the first episode, to the last!)

There's also the issue of money. US TV executives simply won't risk millions of dollars, in case the mini-series flops badly. "Stephen King's Kingdom Hospital" was a kind of mini-series, that was eventually extended into a full 13 episode season. However, it's pretty much bombed. When "Scarlett", a pseudo-sequel to "Gone With The Wind" was made, US executives thought it couldn't fail, and made it run 8 hours! (Four two-hour episodes!) It bombed miserably, not only due to wooden acting, but a lousy script, and the fact that it's so difficult to acheive the status of something like "Gone With The Wind" on the TV screen. PLus, I don't even think "Scarlett" was based on any original source material. Someone simply thought that a sequel to "GWTW" would make fantastic TV! Oh, how wrong they were!

Australia tends to do quite a lot of mini-series, often running to four or even five two-hour parts each! Five have shown some of them, and I have to say, they do tend to be edgy and intelligently written. Westerns, thrillers, crime mysteries. I can name several that have been genuinely great to watch. One of my favourites, though, was Nicole Kidman and Denholm Elliot in "Bangkok Hilton" (which is also out on a pricey double-DVD, from any half-decent UK region 2 retailer).

Stephen King's stuff is still made into mini-series, and the Hallmark Channels shows tons of mini-series'! Some are very impressive, whilst others are utter dross.

I can't think of the last mini-series that was given a UK airing, and was considered "must see TV". I guess "Stephen King's The Storm Of The Century" was good, when C4 first aired it, as was his TV adaption of "The Stand".

Lastly, HBO has done some mini-series, e.g. "Angels In America", but again, outside of the US, it's pretty much bombed. People have been served up so much dross, that requires the attention span of a gnat's backside, that anything running more than three hours causes viewers brains to explode, because they can't cope.

A shame really! Mini-series were often worthwhile watching!

Pooch

PoochJD said:
Hi,

One of my favourites, though, was Nicole Kidman and Denholm Elliot in "Bangkok Hilton" (which is also out on a pricey double-DVD, from any half-decent UK region 2 retailer).

I can't think of the last mini-series that was given a UK airing, and was considered "must see TV". I guess "Stephen King's The Storm Of The Century" was good,

Hi Pooch

I still remember that one from all those years ago even the theme music I can remember which was good.

As to the The Storm Of The Century on your recommendation I started to tape them as I had company when they were being shown and weeks after they had finished sat down to watch them half way through the second part I noticed there was little time remaining to the end of the whole series and when I looked I had missed the last part. Can you give me in a spoiler what happened at the very end of the story was evil destroyed, how and why was he there in the first place?

Garrett,

The Storm Of The Century is currently being re-run at the moment on BBC3 on Friday evenings at 11.05pm. Next week is the 3rd and final part. So you haven't missed it!!! :thumbsup:

Can anyone tell me why Logans Run has never been re-run on british TV? It never been released on DVD either. I would love to see this series again.

Garrett,

As Tardis states, Part 3 is on BBC3 this coming Friday (15th October) at 23:00 hours. Enjoy it, and the climax is not what you should expect! :D

As for "Logan's Run" never being repeated, the problem is due to various copyright issues and licensee holders issues. The UK Sci-Fi Channel would love to repeat this series, and often get asked for it to be shown, however despite lots of negotiations on there part, the other parties involved aren't keen to play ball. At least that's what I've been told.

Hence, it remains in limbo, for any kind of future TV transmission, or VHS/DVD release. Just like the whole "Blade Runner" DVD fiasco.

Pooch

Anyone remember the Martian Chronicles?
has it ever been repeated on terrestrial TV?
was is as good/wierd/scary as I remember (was 9 at the time - 1980)

huwg said:
Anyone remember the Martian Chronicles?
has it ever been repeated on terrestrial TV?
was is as good/wierd/scary as I remember (was 9 at the time - 1980)
I remember the actor who played the first Spider-Man being in it and the sail craft, and I think it was Bernadette Peters getting on my nerves halfway through the run when things got a little silly.

You can get that on dvd you know.

Just a bump to remind people that the final part of "The Storm Of The Century" is on BBC 3 Tonight at 11:00pm. :thumbsup:

Thanks I had forgot :smashin:

After watchinhg the excellent Schindler's List the other day it reminded me of a couple of old mini series....Escape From Sobibor and Holocaust

I remember two excellent British miniseries from the mid 80s : "Threads" & "Edge of Darkness". Does "Threads" still get repeated in the UK? I don't recall seeing it repeated on NZ TV since it first showed.

The other miniseries I remember, from about the same decade, was an adaption of Frankenstein starring David McCallum as Dr Frankenstein. I only vaugely remember "Salem's Lot", but I think it got repeated later in an edited movie version.

Threads was shown not to long ago on BBC4 which is sort of a not much watched channel over here (digital). There was a thread on it here.

Edge of Darkness is one of the British classic miniseries helped a lot with some good lead performances by Joe Don Baker and the late Bob Peck.

Until you mentioned it I never thought of including British series but one I like was Bird of Prey with an other good actor Richard Griffiths

Glimmer,

"Threads", should be out on UK or US DVD, if my memory serves. "Edge Of Darkness" is definitely out on both Region 1 and Region 2 DVD.

The other miniseries you recall, was called "Frankenstein: The True Story". As far as I know, BBC still hold the rights to show it, and normally air it in two 90-minute episodes. It has been shown a few times, and often over the Christmas/New Year holiday period - usually starting after 11:30pm. Contact the BBC and see if they have any plans to transmit it again. You can phone them, in the UK, on: 08700-100-222. They are open 24/7.

As for "'Salem's Lot", the full-US mini-series ran to approximately 185 minutes, (excluding ads) and is normally shown over two-nights, or as two-two-hour movies (including adverts). The US-movie version is shorter, and runs for approximately 118 minutes, tightening the story, but including alternate and more violent/sexual shots of some of the gore scenes. Both have been released on UK video, and may even be available on DVD.

Pooch

I used to love the mini-series, takes me back a bit! Mostly the girlie ones I'm afraid - Lace and all that :blush: but seeing as Richard Chamberlain was in 90% of them I must have seen most of them!!

Would programmes like Trial and Retribution count nowadays? I know that they are a series, but each one is like a mini series with only a couple of hour long shows.

Anyway bring back the mini series I say!! Any excuse to sit in for a couple of hours in front of the box with a bottle of wine and a takeaway :smashin:

smelly said:
I used to love the mini-series, takes me back a bit! Mostly the girlie ones I'm afraid - Lace and all that :blush: but seeing as Richard Chamberlain was in 90% of them I must have seen most of them!!

Anyway bring back the mini series I say!! Any excuse to sit in for a couple of hours in front of the box with a bottle of wine and a takeaway :smashin:

You would love some of the aussie mini-series then.

I remember "Return to Eden" was quite popular in the 80s about a model almost fed to a crocodile but she recovers and comes back with extensive(unrealistic) reconstructive surgery to plot revenge on her devious ex. Got a tv series spin off eventually. Go figure.

A more recent triumph in miniseries drama was "Jessica" which will probably get repeated on Hallmark. Based upon Bryce Courtnay's Australian novel of a tomboy in the early 1900s who triumphs over all sorts of adversity especially a scheming witch of a mother. Fantastic acting, including Sam Neill & Lisa Harrow in supporting roles.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom