1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Ever Happened to the Mini-Series?

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by Garrett, Jul 7, 2003.

1. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,344
    Mini-Series use to be the got to see viewing once of a day I think the real biggy was Root by Alex Haley following his ancestors from being captured for slavery in Africa then following subsequent generations through to modern day with Roots:The Next Generation.
    One of my personal favourites is Centennial which was sort of a similar them which started back in the days of the pioneering of America and came up to modern day this is one I would personally like to own if it ever came out on DVD.
    Some other goodies were Sho-Gun, Wind of War 1 & 2, North and South 1 & 2 which I think could have been the last to be shown on terrestrial TV.
    There was some shown on sat such as Lonesome Dove and one which I wish one of the terrestrial channels would pick up Dream West which was base on the true story of .
    There was also The Boune Identity but I do not think this was a true mini series as it only ran 3 weeks.
    I would not class 24 as a miniseries as it runs for a full season.
    After just looking at the above I have noticed Richard Chamberlain is in 4 of the above titles which reminders me he was in the Thorn Birds (one mini series I did not watch) which makes 5.

2. graham.myers

graham.myers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +932
    Rich Man Poor Man was another good mini series as I recall too

3. dfield2000

dfield2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I loved 'V' when it first ran. I can remeber the olympics were on BBC and I had absolutely no interest in watching it, but ITV were screening V at the same time - I was totally hooked. I bet if I watched it now it would look pants.

The only other one I've got into is the Sci-fi channel's production of Dune, but by Garrett's definition this ain't a mini series as it only ran for three episodes.

4. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    V still looks OK.. the flying scenes near the end look a bit dodgy.. but the motherships are OK..

Brother has the V collection (the 2 discer & single).. VERY good picture, considering a TV series.. better than Aliens, Buffy, and X-Files movie!!

5. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,108
    Wild palms was and is still one of my fave mini-series.... very cool.

6. kevb

kevb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Wild Palms was great:smashin: Not quite up to Twin Peaks standard but I'd love to see it again.

7. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,150
    I remember liking Centenial a lot but I wonder if my perception of it had a lot to do with me being 6 years old at the time!

8. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,344
    Centennial was very good especially in the early episodes, but the last few were not as good as the rest of the series.
    I too can hardly remember some of the stories, I remember the first one where they were pioneering the new country and the following one with settlers. The next I remember were them having trouble with the Indians or so they thought! which was a brilliant story line. The next was the scam artist causing more trouble than they intended up to the present day. But I cannot remember any of the others.
    Shame they seem to repeat the same old rubbish but never think of digging out the classics which many people will not have seen.

9. Logo Hater

Logo Hater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    I still have North & South (every episode) recorded on Video from the tele, the quality is abysmal, but it's better than not having it at all.:clap:

And it's Logo free, which is always a bonus.:D :D

10. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,344
    Agreed a good series. I think it was the one that started the ball rolling. Funnily I though the smarter brother Rudy (Peter Strauss)? would have made it as big star rather than the boxer Tom (Nick Nolte).:eek:
    There was also a second series Rich Man Poor Man Book 2.

11. DaveyS

DaveyS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I believe the mini-series of Shogun was released on DVD yesterday (aroung £30) however I read somewhere that Hallmark were going to screen the mini-series starting 26th May.
    Don't quote me on that but I will be watching out for it.

12. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Lonesome Dove was great.

13. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,344
    I though the human lobster scene was a bit cruel.:eek:

14. kilvil

kilvil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    can any one remember a three part mini sieres called " MASADA"
    I remember it was about the romans fighting a bunch of jews held up in a camp on top of a mountain. got to see the first two parts but missed the end one, only been waiting about fifteen years for a repeat or dvd to come out so i can find out what happend.
    kilvil

15. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,344
    As far as I know it was based on real events so a search on Google should turn something up but read the Spoiler if you want to know what happened at the end.

SPOILER
    The Romans wore the people in the high fortification down and rather than be captured by the Romans they all committed suicide.:(

16. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +950
    I always liked the Richard Burton one where he played Wagner, the composer... only ever saw it once spread over a Sunday/Monday on channel 4 when I was a kid. I heard it got truncated from a 5 hour job down to a 2hr TV movie which is a terrible thought... but imagine my surprise when I saw it had been released as a 2 disk set in Australia and then that it was in Ezy DVDs bargain bin for $6.95 (australian not US$:eek: ) so I bagged one. Not had the 5 hours I need to watch it yet, but I'm looking forward to being reminded of some great scenery and performances from Burton, Vannessa Redgrave and good old Larry Olivier

17. kilvil

kilvil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    yer right garrett, that was the story. another mini i liked was bodyline the story of the 1933 ashes tour in aussieland, have never found a copy of that either.
    kilvil

18. grease monkey

grease monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    What was the name of that Mini Series starring Robert Mitchum and just about everyone else in Hollywood about the Second World War???:rolleyes:

19. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,344
    Winds Of War they made two series of it as well.

20. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +950
    War and Remembrance was the 2nd series wasn't it? From the book by Herman Wouk (or something:confused: )
    aren't they getting an R1 release later this year?

21. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,344
    Your right on the 2nd series name and author, I must say I never watched it(was it any good?) but remember the theme tune was a cracker.

22. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +950
    I don't remember watching the 2nd series, I liked the 1st and thought that Robert Mitchum was great in it as Pug Henry... although I couldn't quite understand why Victoria Tennent would fancy such an elderly chap:confused: but I was a mere embryo at the time I last saw it.
    I'm not sure whether to put my trust in my vague memories of it though, I was probably only about 11 when I last saw it and that was around 20 years ago:rolleyes:

23. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    Who remembers LACE and LACE 2 in the mid 80s.

"Which one of you b******s is my father?

and..

"Which one of you bitches is my mother?"

Starred the gorgeous Phoebe Cates from Gremlins.

A few others I remeber are.....

79 Park Avenue, Studs Lonegan, Kane and Abel, Hollywood Wives

24. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +950
    Lace... :laugh:

Mind you, it was better than Mistral's Daughter with Stacy Keach as a French impressionist painter and Stephanie Powers as his muse. That was terrible

25. Tardis

Tardis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Does anyone remember the Aussie one called "Power Without Glory" shown late on ITV in the mid 70's. :thumbsup:

26. Glimmer

Glimmer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I remember a mini-series many years ago called "For the Term of his Natural Life" about a man wrongly convicted of murder in the 1800's and sent to Australia as a convict. He eventually got back to England to face his imposter. It starred Anthony Perkins & Patrick McGoohan in supporting roles.

27. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    Thanks Glimmer, that one's been bugging me for ages. Just couldn't remember the title. I recall the main character was called Rufus I think.
    Over to IMDB for more......

28. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Hi,

The mini-series used to be a TV event - something that would get everyone watching TV for anything upto two weeks solid, night after night!

It used to be the case that a mini-series would run over a Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights, in the USA, so three parts running to about 2 hours each would be made. Nowadays, because there are hundreds more channels to choose from, and with TV companies believing that viewers no longer have long attention spans, (which is obviously total bull, because films like "Schindler's List", "Saving Private Ryan", "Gladiator", "Troy", Das Boot", "Dances With Wolves", and "The Pianist" all stretch well over average movie-running-time), a mini-series is normally reduced down to just two two-hour parts, and shown over consecutive nights, at anytime of the week,

Mini-series are still being made, and "Dune" / "Children Of Dune" are classified as such, however they are not considered by the TV industry to be the same kind of big "event TV shows", that they used to be. Certainly not like "Roots", "The Winds Of War", "V", "The Bible" or some of the other true great TV mini-series'! And they do still turn up on UK TV. "Das Boot" was recently shown on BBC2 and BBC3. "Children Of Dune" has been on Hallmark. "The Count Of Monte Cristo" with Gerrard Depardieu, was shown over Christmas 2002/New Year 2003. They do get shown, but are simply not seen as series that everyone will want to watch. After all, why pay £2million to air a mini-series, when we can simply repeat so much older stuff of our own, for next to nothing, and probably get better ratings, TV execs ask?! I understand this thought, although I think it's led to severe dumbing down of TV schedules. If films like those I mentioned above, can buck the trend of the 90-minute movie, then why can't the same thing happen to TV. UK viewers will stay faithful to genuinely good shows, as has been proven with shows like "Murder One" or "24". (Shows which can't really be dipped-into on and off, whenever a viewer feels like it. They command our attention, right from the first episode, to the last!)

There's also the issue of money. US TV executives simply won't risk millions of dollars, in case the mini-series flops badly. "Stephen King's Kingdom Hospital" was a kind of mini-series, that was eventually extended into a full 13 episode season. However, it's pretty much bombed. When "Scarlett", a pseudo-sequel to "Gone With The Wind" was made, US executives thought it couldn't fail, and made it run 8 hours! (Four two-hour episodes!) It bombed miserably, not only due to wooden acting, but a lousy script, and the fact that it's so difficult to acheive the status of something like "Gone With The Wind" on the TV screen. PLus, I don't even think "Scarlett" was based on any original source material. Someone simply thought that a sequel to "GWTW" would make fantastic TV! Oh, how wrong they were!

Australia tends to do quite a lot of mini-series, often running to four or even five two-hour parts each! Five have shown some of them, and I have to say, they do tend to be edgy and intelligently written. Westerns, thrillers, crime mysteries. I can name several that have been genuinely great to watch. One of my favourites, though, was Nicole Kidman and Denholm Elliot in "Bangkok Hilton" (which is also out on a pricey double-DVD, from any half-decent UK region 2 retailer).

Stephen King's stuff is still made into mini-series, and the Hallmark Channels shows tons of mini-series'! Some are very impressive, whilst others are utter dross.

I can't think of the last mini-series that was given a UK airing, and was considered "must see TV". I guess "Stephen King's The Storm Of The Century" was good, when C4 first aired it, as was his TV adaption of "The Stand".

Lastly, HBO has done some mini-series, e.g. "Angels In America", but again, outside of the US, it's pretty much bombed. People have been served up so much dross, that requires the attention span of a gnat's backside, that anything running more than three hours causes viewers brains to explode, because they can't cope.

A shame really! Mini-series were often worthwhile watching!

Pooch

29. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,344
    Hi Pooch

I still remember that one from all those years ago even the theme music I can remember which was good.

As to the The Storm Of The Century on your recommendation I started to tape them as I had company when they were being shown and weeks after they had finished sat down to watch them half way through the second part I noticed there was little time remaining to the end of the whole series and when I looked I had missed the last part. Can you give me in a spoiler what happened at the very end of the story was evil destroyed, how and why was he there in the first place?

30. Tardis

Tardis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Garrett,

The Storm Of The Century is currently being re-run at the moment on BBC3 on Friday evenings at 11.05pm. Next week is the 3rd and final part. So you haven't missed it!!! :thumbsup: