What else do i need with a HDMI to optical lead for my home cinema system to work?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Ben1, Feb 18, 2014.

1. Ben1

Ben1
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What else do i need with an HDMI to optical lead to work on my home cinema system? do i need an adaptor also or?

2. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    Can you elaborate on what you are doing as not sure what you mean by HDMI to Optical lead ?

3. Ben1

Ben1
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The optical port is not holding the optical lead in place so i am unable to use the tv off the surround sound. been told i can buy a lead with a hdmi end on one and optical on the other?

4. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    Never heard of a HDMI to Optical lead ?

What is your equipment and how is it setup at the moment ?

5. Ben1

Ben1
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It is a Lg home cinema system that plays my dvds as an optical lead is not needed for this, but if i want my tv or playstation to go through the cinema system speakers i need to use an optical lead but the port to the player will not hold the lead in place the entrance clip is broken, so i have been quoted £65 pounds for this to be repaired with a whole new underbase section as they are not able to get just the port hole or clip.. if you type into ebay optical to hdmi lead you will see what i was on abouy which i thought may work in this situation where the port hole is unable to be used.

6. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    Typed that in but hasn't come up with anything just sets of leads ie 1 x HDMI to HDMI and 1 x Optical lead not a convertor. Really there isn't such a thing

If the TV/ Cinema System is ARC (audio Return Channel) compatible then the HDMI cable will carry the audio back from the TV.

What ports does the LG Home Cinema system have ? Do you have a model number ?

How do you connect the Playstation at the moment ?

7. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,513
    'Optical to HDMI lead' - there is bound to be someone somewhere who has produced such a cable, will it work for you, no not a chance. Imagine the magic at play within a cable where you squirt light in one end and receive electricity out the other end!

As Seb asks if you can list your equipment (make/model number) and preferably provide links to online User Manual folk can advise you if you have an option to repairing/replacing the system.

Joe

8. Ben1

Ben1
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I dont have the model number on me no as i have sent it for repair. It has Hdmi ports and one where a wire with yellow ends go into. I just wanted to know the options i have if my optical port is out of use and i wish to get sound through other devises. I have tried to hdmi on its own but i get no sound from the speakers for the playstation only sound from the tv speakers.

9. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    Ok , there may have been a way of bypassing the optical port but without knowing the model numbers we cant really help. ie if the Home Cinema system had HDMI input ports connecting the Playstation via these would get you sound, if the Home cinema System had dual RCA stereo ports you may have been able to link the TV back to these. If the Homecinema and the TV had ARC capability you may have been able to use these