what else do i need to go with my optoma HD200x projector

zairs

Established Member
Reaction score
Im doing a home cinema in my living room, ive had to change the room it was going into as wouldnt work in the other room. I have choosen this projector as it fits my budgegt and works in the room. I need to know what else i need, i have an old 5.2 surrond sound system that I want to use till i get some more funds. I need advice on how to conect up to the projector, what cables i wpouild need and then what upgrades i should be looking at next. I think it would be getting an avr receiver?

What equipment do you have? Basically you need an amp/receiver plus speakers and viewing sources e.g. bluray, games consoles, sat/cable. An AV Receiver can act as a hub enabling you to switch between video sources and decode/process and amplify the audio. Do you have a TV in the same room?

yes, there will be a 32" tv in the corner for some normal viewing i alreay have a ps3 and am building an gaming pc with bluray capabilities. i am also getting a tivo virgin box soon as well. i would like to replace the 5.2 surround sound with a good avr when i next have some funds and then start doing the speakers. i'm guessing that till i buy the avr im gonna have to manually put the hd cable that attaches to the projector into each device when i want to use them and have sound going though the surround via scart/phono

Be wary of using all-in-one home cinema speakers with an AV Receivers. They are invariably not designed to be used with anything other than the system that they are part of. The subwoofer will more than likely be passive and therefore also unusable. If you use low impedance speakers (<4ohm) with an AV receiver you will probably damage them and more importantly damage your new receiver.

As you have two displays in the same room, you will either need an HDMI splitter (not a switch) that will split the HDMI output to both displays i.e. TV and projector. Alternatively look for an AV receiver with twin HDMI output. This is usually a feature found on more expensive receivers but the likes of Yamaha and Marantz have included it in sub £500 receivers these days.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom