1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What else can I use the PC input for?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by cujimmy, Dec 19, 2002.

1. cujimmy

cujimmy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is there a special connector I can use to make use of the pc connector on my PWD5UY. I use the 'S" Vid for my satellite and component for my DVD recorder but would like to make use of the VGA input as I don't use it for games, PC or anything else. Can I use it to connect another satellite feed? If so what type of cable would I need. I am in the USA and if JS reads this I am originally from Ecosse!!!
    Cheers!

2. TorAtle

TorAtle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The VGA takes a RGB signal with seperate horizontal and vertical sync. So if you have any Scart-equipped boxed (I bet you don't), you could for instance use this www.hificables.co.uk/acatalog/SCART_to_BNC_.html

Plus there are other boxes available that do the same with different connectors.

3. mikeq

mikeq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You can use one of the JS Technology RGB to VGA boxes click here . John is an active member on these forums.

4. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    C.U. Jimmy!

Amusing name. While the RGB to Plasma VGA unit would use this PC input, you need an RGB source via a SCART connector. This is fine for the UK where Sky and DVD players have such, but in the US it's simply something you won't find.

Audio Authority will probably do something which may help convert a component source to the VGA. Other than that, I'm now sure what could be done to use the PC input in a non-RGB SCART world!

All the best,

John.

5. saggio

saggio
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    John,
    since most US equipment comes with S-Video outs, could you not use one of those SCART2S-Video (plus 2 audio RCAs) cable to be plugged into your SCART2VGA box?

So you go: S-Video -> SCART -> VGA.
    Too many connections?

6. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    The confusion arrises because SCART can carry several different signals, and it's the signal not the connector that's important!

SCART can carry, Composite & RGB or S-Video. While on SCART can have composite and RGB at the same time, the pins used are shared with the S-Video pins so you can't get both on the one cable at any one time.

So when you take S-Video out from a US device, even if you put it on to a SCART connector, it's not RGB and you can't then connect it to any of my products.

My products help when you're trying to connect RGB to various different devices. For plasmas, you can use RGB via the Plasma VGA, but you may also want to convert the high quality RGB video to either Component or S-Video.

All the best,

Dr John Sim.

7. cujimmy

cujimmy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Appreciate the input folks. Nice to see so many people helping out on this forum!

8. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,590
    cujimmy

(I wonder how many others on the forum laughed at your handle?).

Depending on how much you want to spend to make use of your 'spare' VGA (RGBHV) input you could consider any of the devices listed below.

Prices vary enormously for signal converters - products aimed solely at the Home Cinema market can cost less than £200 whilst products aimed at the commercial market can cost £2k or more.

Some of these products offer simple signal conversion whilst others aim to enhance the incoming video signals and 'improve' the signal quality of Composite, S-Video and YUV signals before they arrive into your plasma display.

Possibly the most obvious external scaler for you would be the Silicon Image iScan Pro (around £650 UK) but there seems to be a problem with marrying this device to the 5 Series Panasonic displays!!! Silicon Images new iScan Ultra (£900 UK) has still to arrive in the UK so I cant say if it will suffer the same problems or not - if not and its within any notional budget you may have (and it will doubtless be less expensive in the US) it could become the core central switcher in your system and enhance all of your video signals.

Have a look at:

http://www.avtoolbox.com/ - quite a few 'entry level' products listed here; look under 'up converters'. In the UK the Scancom TV Theatre 4000 (otherwise know as the Pro-V TV tuner/scaler) is quite a popular partner to the Panasonic displays and sells for less than £200.

http://www.siimage.com/ > Products > iScan. See notes above.

http://www.focusinfo.com/ > Products > ProAV. See Centre Stage and QuadScan elite. These cost around £2k and £1K in the UK.

http://www.inlineinc.com/ > Products > Signal Converters. See IN1402 and IN1403 for three and four input seamless switchers and scalers. Again not at the lower end of the market.

There are others...

Best regards

Joe