1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What electric razors are considered to be good?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by tony kop77, Sep 12, 2005.

1. tony kop77

tony kop77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +203
    I have decided to buy an electric shaver because everytime I wet shave and shave up I get a rash around my mouth and red round my throat.
    What shavers are considered to be good and do the more expensive ones shave close or do I just pay for the extra features?

I have seen these they look ok

http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Produc...56296&clickfrom=name

http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Produc...49970&clickfrom=name

http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Produc...56310&clickfrom=name

http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Produc...56638&clickfrom=name

http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Produc...47385&clickfrom=name

I dont know which is best or what to look for really. I have dry sensitve skin which is why I get a rash when shave though I shoudn't shave up that does not help just it shaves lot closer when shaving that way.

So which should I go for and why are these so expensive http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Produc...61337&clickfrom=name

http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Produc...55983&clickfrom=name

2. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +474
  3. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    I've got the expensive Braun one that's self-cleaning. It's brilliant ! Just like using a brand-new razor every day :)

4. tony kop77

tony kop77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +203
    I also have sensitve dry skin and when i shave up wet shave i get a rash round my mouth and on my throat. U was thinking of buying the Philips shaver. I use Nivea face wash and balm and revitalising cream.

5. Seth Gecko

Seth Gecko
    retired member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    I have to say that I have the Braun and Philips, both Cool Shave and non - and the one that irritates me the least is the Braun Self Cleaning one. But the Cool Shave is a close second.

Hope this helps :)

6. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,521
    try some 'king of shaves' gel instead... much cheaper... ;)

7. tony kop77

tony kop77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +203
    I tried the vibrating wet shave razors and king of oil still get rash when i shave up and when i shave down.

8. Seth Gecko

Seth Gecko
    retired member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    Have to say it made no difference to me using the oil (I can't wet shave for other reasons).

9. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    I got a £190 braun razor, and IMHO it is rubbish next to a wet shave. You just don't get that same feeling of closeness, and you always feel patchy afterwards.

10. smelly

smelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    I've bought my hubby a variety of electric shavers and he's hated all of them. He says its because he's got thick hair/bristtles :confused: But anyway he still has to wet shave every morning despite definitely not being a morning person, refusing to get up any earlier to compensate and therefore on the few days we go into work together causing horrendous rows while I have to wait for him :mad:

Sorry went off on a complete tangent then :D

11. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    :D

You'd think with nearly £200 worth of razor, it'd do a good job. Main reason I got it was so I wouldn't have so much trouble with skin rash. But you have to do the same patches over and over with an electric and your face ends up even more sore! :suicide: :D

I find that a sensitive shaving gel and a good shave with really hot water is the best thing for sensitive skin. Especially if after you are finished, you splash your face with cold water to close the pores, and then moisturise.

God what a puffter I sound. :oops: :rotfl:

12. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Try circular or zig-zaggy motions.

13. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    I agree. :)

14. Adrenochrome

Adrenochrome

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +207
    Be like Smelly and stay hairy :)

15. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,149
    Wash face in hot water. Don't rinse.
    Use a toothbrush and scrub( not too hard) your face in radial circles ( all over its very good for degunking your pores generally).

Rinse face in clean warm water.

Apply soap or lotion of your choice ( I 've been through them all and personally its a load of old cobblers , I just use a normal bar of soap these days.)

Shave ( don't use a razor more than a few times and keep it clean) . Not too much pressure on the blade try and keep the skin taut using your fingers and pulling faces. Straight smooth strokes , shave with the direction of hair growth ( anyone who tells you to shave the other way or go "up" is smoking "crack") if you shave down the way on one side of your face to follow the hair growth and sideways on the other then fine just follow the growth (and you won't be able to see it with too much gunk on your face).

Try not to repeat strokes over the same area. If the growth is heavy use smaller strokes . Rinse the razor between strokes in hot water. Aim to take off as much off the growth as possible with your strokes , the trick is to not rasp away at your face with the razor which not only irritates the skin but cuts the hair too close leading to ingrowing hairs ( the toothbrush trick should also help prevent this if you do it every day...beard growers take note).

Once you have done the bulk of your face take a look at those hard to tackle areas around the nose and upper lip and gently shave any little patches you missed. (don't rasp away at your face). A little bit of shadow is much better than looking like a bloody tomato.

Rinse your face in hot then cold water. (don't make a meal of it). Pat your face dry on a CLEAN towel. Apply a little moisturiser (E45 is all you need) and don't overdo it. Wait a couple of minutes and then apply aftershave if you wish ( you don't have to ..if you want to pong it will do just as well on your chest and back of the neck).

If you have a pronounced shadow DON'T double shave you'll just irritate the skin and not improve things. The above technique should keep your pores clean and close them , this will help the shadow be less obvious after time and your face will not look like road-kill.

The whole procedure should take 2 mins.

Try and shave lightly every day , its better for your skin.

16. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    I always heard that you shouldn't shave against the grain? if you do after a proper shave with the grain you get a perfectly smoth face but its fawned on but no one i've asked has really know why.

Is it in grown hairs?

17. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Electric razors are no use on "bum fluff" :D :D :D

18. Londondecca

Londondecca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
  19. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,149
    It irritates the skin , You cut the hair too close effectively forcing it under the skin and you can also force dead skin into your follicles and pores. This leads to infection as the skin closes over your folicles and pores. The infection inflames your skin into bumps and when you reshave you chop the tops off the inflamed skin (razor burn).

If you do get ingrowing hair you need to get the hair out from under the skin . If its not badly inflamed you might be able to tweak out the tip of the hair and leave it attatched to the follicle. Chances are though by the time you notice it you will have a nasty inflamed infected follicle. Best bet is to remove the hair with a pair of tweezers ( you might also require a needle to break the skin over the hair to get access to it) you will probably find the hair actually comes out quite easily as the infection has killed the follicle. Double shaving exacerbates this problem as the hair is likely to be very short ( a couple of mm) and forced quite deeply under the skin .

Sometimes the hair can be a lighter coloured one which is very difficult to see and you might have to fish for it with the tweezers. Be very careful though as you can scar your face if you overdo it.

In-growing hair can require medical attention and the infection can require abraiding the flesh with the resulting wound taking ages to heal. I have two mates who had seriously nasty in growing hairs . One of them required the dressing changed every day by a district nurse for 3 months.

Don't shave against the hair growth , having a marble smooth chinis not going to do you any favours if your face falls off.

20. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    Now that does sound nasty, thx. I've only ever done it a few times, and like i said only after saving with the grain, although i doubt that makes a difference.

Anyway thanks, as I doubt with this much detail would be an old wives tale.

Also one other thing what causes 'pit' on the face is this just bad acne when younger? does anybody know?

21. smelly

smelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    Hey its an old photo!!!!! :laugh: I've had a trim since then ;)

22. Adrenochrome

Adrenochrome

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +207
    Prove it ;)

23. smelly

smelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    I didn't think it was that sort of forum!!! :eek: :eek:

;)

24. tony kop77

tony kop77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +203
    I think the Braun models are better as it self cleans and does not burn your skin as much as a Philips shaver from what I have read.
    I know wet shave is closer but rather shave every day or every other day and get no rash rather than wet shave have skin soft and smooth and hardly see the stubble for a day but then get a rash and spots for the rest of the week so you can'y shave again.

I have seen these models from Argos, is it any of these.

http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/s...&clickfrom=name

I dont see the difference from the first two or 3 models apart from the price.

25. Dubbing Mixer

Dubbing Mixer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I've been using electrics for thirty years because i got bored with the styptic pencil, cotton wool and the rash. Used to use Braun foil types but philips rotary does a better job. However the last two have only lasted a year or so. Charging faults. Seriously contemplating the Remington equivalent next time.

Conversely, Braun rechargeable electric toothbrush, 8 years old and still going strong.

26. tony kop77

tony kop77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +203
    I have heard the Philips can burn your skin and sometimes not shave that good which is why I thought about the braun. I dont know if I need to spend £180 on a shaver though or just get the £130. I think the only differene is the LCD.

27. Dubbing Mixer

Dubbing Mixer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    In my experience the foil types are less kind and the foils and cutters are not everlasting. Never had to change a philips cutter though.

I'd be more worried about the general reliability My first two head Philips lasted ten years until the charging circuit burnt out (still on the original batteries) the second lasted a mere three but I decided to get a three head. Big mistake. Doesn't shave as well as the two head and the charging circuit LEDs have packed up after a couple of years although it still seems to charge OK.

28. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Does the £130 one clean itself thoroughly after every shave ? If you take the foil off mine, it looks sparkling new. Not a trace of any hair or dust anywhere.

29. tony kop77

tony kop77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +203
    http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/s...atalogId=3801&productId=155983&clickfrom=name

I think the above is too expensive dont really want to spend that much on a shaver and some people have said philips shavers can burn your skin.

http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/s...atalogId=3801&productId=150395&clickfrom=name

That is the Braun £189 version. Is it worth spending that much on a shaver especially as the cheaper model seems to be the same just without the interactive LCD. Why would I need an interactive LCD?

http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/s...atalogId=3801&productId=150406&clickfrom=name

http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/s...atalogId=3801&productId=150422&clickfrom=name

or is the philips with gel better? http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/s...atalogId=3801&productId=156296&clickfrom=name

30. Seth Gecko

Seth Gecko
    retired member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    Personally if you want an electric shaver, go here http://www.shavers.co.uk/

I got my £160 Braun for £109 - Next day delivery too :)