1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what dya think

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by clancol, Jul 13, 2004.

1. clancol

clancol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I've got an idea what might be said in this forum but.
    I have just got a dv79 and im chuffed with it and i want to change my electronics.
    I
    m interested in the new avr300.
    or
    My other option is a rotel 1066 processer and a 1075 power amp for the same price as the arcam.

Which would give the best sound?

opinions please.!

2. booktrunk

booktrunk
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I would go for the AVR300 over a Rotel 1066 and poweramp.... BUT ...

The 1066 isan't the current processor, it's been replaced in the last couple of months by the 1068. This now has audio delay, seperate speaker settings for differnt sources PL IIx, 24/192 DACS etc...

Now that's a hard choice and frankly I think you should listen to both to decide.

The Rotel combo is only 5 channel. If you are using more speakers then you need another power amp. Mind you a second hand rb970 for sub £100 should do for the rears.

But if you are only doing 5.1 then the fact you can bi-amp the fronts with the AVR300 is another plus point towards that.

So go and listen to both. If you are only giong to be doing 5.1 see if you can get a demo of the AVR300 bi-amping some fronts. Bi-amping does seem to be a darn good way of improving your sound. Best thing to do is pretty much ignore what I and others say just go listen to both in as close to an identical setup as possible and decide with your ears. :)

Steff

3. davee

davee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Interesting, I was mulling over an identical scenario, Rotel vs Arcam. Also have to take into consideration that youd lose the tuner part with the Rotel, but get a bigger bang for your bucks. I've just seen the two on the shelf and thought the arcam a classier product from the finish and tactile use. Still I have to arrange a good dem to make the comparison. The use of the extra set of amps on the arcam would be useful for biamping. I'll be interested which way you go clancol :rolleyes:

4. clancol

clancol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    i'll let you know in a week or so.
    I too like the idea of the pure power from the rotel but would prefer the prossesing and connections of the avr300.

I soppose another option would be the Acram a90 p90 combination, with the 6.1 input and 3 channel upgrades. But it wouldnt be very flexible.