What DVD's do you think aren't worth the upgrade to Blu?

captainarchive

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've got a lot TV shows on DVD that I don't think I'll bother upgrading. What do other people think? Will you be upgrading in entirety or are there some discs you just don't think it's worth it?

What DVD's do you think aren't worth the upgrade to Blu?

I've got a lot TV shows on DVD that I don't think I'll bother upgrading. What do other people think? Will you be upgrading in entirety or are there some discs you just don't think it's worth it?
There are lots of TV shows that were edited on standard definition video tape so they won't ever be released on Blu-ray in the first place. The exception is if film elements still exist; and the people in charge feel it's worth retransferring, re-editing, and in some cases re-compositing special effects (Star Trek).

Beyond that, I can't imagine there will be any cases where it won't be worth rebuying (OK, cases where standard-def master tapes were used to create BDs, like "Traffic" and "Escape From New York" are the exceptions). Some will look better than others and I'll prioritise those, of course.

There are lots of TV shows that were edited on standard definition video tape so they won't ever be released on Blu-ray in the first place. The exception is if film elements still exist; and the people in charge feel it's worth retransferring, re-editing, and in some cases re-compositing special effects (Star Trek).

That won't stop them from putting them on Blu. They just won't look any better than they do now.

It would be too expensive from Trek to be done as there is just too many episodes (534 for TNG, DS9 and Voyager) and they would all have to be redone.

Enterprise will be ok as the were shot with HD in mind but the DVD's look fine for me as they are now.

I won't be upgrading any TV shows to Blu that I already have on DVD. It is partly because I have too many already and spent enough money on them plus I don't need to see them in HD anyway.

With films, the BD's will always look better even if it is just a little bit. I then comes down how much someone wants that film. Even rubbish discs like Escape from New York still looks better than the DVD but only a tiny amount. Therefore the BD is still worth getting if someone doesn't have the DVD and wants it now.

Last edited:
That won't stop them from putting them on Blu. They just won't look any better than they do now.
You may well be right; do consider this though:

* There's a LOT of DVD players installed.
* The studios don't want to confuse people any more, so releasing Standard-def BDs (albeit ones with huge numbers of episodes/seasons per disc) would probably just confuse people.

This is what made me think that, if a studio wanted to release an SD TV show, they'd just do it on DVD for maximum playback compatibility.

You may well be right; do consider this though:

* The studios don't want to confuse people any more, so releasing Standard-def BDs (albeit ones with huge numbers of episodes/seasons per disc) would probably just confuse people.

There seems to be many people who want that though. I see it as a waste and the studios will want more discs so they can charge more money.

If you have a recent dvd release of the Godfather trilogy then don't bother with the BD. It's the best its ever going to look but it isn't great.

Not sure what you mean there... The BD releases of the Godfather movies have far more resolution than even a maximum quality (which I doubt the original DVDs were) DVD could give.

Not sure what you mean there... The BD releases of the Godfather movies have far more resolution than even a maximum quality (which I doubt the original DVDs were) DVD could give.

Probably doesn't like the film grain.

Godfather in HD won't look any better than it does now with the BD's.

I thought the Godfather BD boxset was quite an improvement over my DVD boxset .. you could clearly see that a lot of work has gone into restoring the print as the BD contains hardly any speckles or scratches while the DVD is riddled with them :(

Why so specific? Do you watch them less; have too many of them to begin upgrading?

Only those with significant new features or new (better) versions would get my money. So far I have double dipped only 1 of my 1000+ DVD collection-Close Encounters, with no plans to rebuy any more.
I'd rather spend my money on a new film for the collection......once they have come down to a reasonable price that is.

Why so specific? Do you watch them less; have too many of them to begin upgrading?
I do have a lot older films, I’ve got almost 90 film noir titles for example, but that isn’t the reason. It’s more to do with viewing habits, I watch a lot of Sci-Fi films and westerns on my projector so I’d upgrade these on a blanket basis. Dramas, film noir and comedies I tend to watch on the TV so I’m less concerned about upgrading them.

I promised myself months ago that I would only double dip on my all-time favourites but that is falling apart with every week that passes. For example, this week I bought 'I, Robot' and 'Master and Commander: TFSOTW' on BD. I like both films but they're not on my all-time greatest list, yet the praise for the picture and sound on 'I, Robot' and the DTS-HD Master track on 'Master and Commander' had me delving into my PayPal account.

It likely won't be the last time!

I’ve drawn up a list 300 films I have on DVD that I would be keen to upgrade and they’re mostly Sci-fi/ Fantasy, Action, War and Westerns. Films that are more of a spectacle, where I think I’ll get more bang for my Blu Ray buck. That leaves 400 films I’ll probably never upgrade. That is unless BD titles selling at a fiver or less becomes commonplace. I just couldn’t justify the costs otherwise.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom