1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What DVD with Hitachi plasma?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Wapping, May 2, 2003.

1. Wapping

Wapping

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just bought a Hitachi 42PD3000 Plasma screen and am looking to upgrade my Pioneer 444S DVD player. Is it worth going the progressive scan route with, say, a Philips 963 or HK DVD25 or sticking with the on-board ALIS?

Advice anyone, especially anyone with experience of the Hitachi screens?

2. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,951
    As it's an ALIS panel there's no point feeding it a progressive signal, you get the best out of that display when feeding it a good interlaced signal, don't ask me why you just do. I had the 32PD3000 briefly and it was definitely a better picture with the interlaced signal compared to the progressive signal from my (ex) Philips 962SA.

Andy.

3. Wapping

Wapping

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone any suggestions on the best DVD for picture and sound, not including progressive scan - the "usual suspects" are:

Harmon Kardon DVD25
    Pioneer 626
    Toshiba 520
    Philips 963

or is the upgrade so little that I should stick with my Pioneer 444?

4. Joel

Joel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Hitachi will disconnect its progressive scan feature automatically when fed with a progressive source material. Therefore, I would say that it's not necessary better with using non-progressive dvd-players. It's rather a question of how good the progressive scan function of each player is.

Joel

5. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,951
    Well I fed the Hitachi 32PD3000 a progressive signal from my old Philips 962SA which uses Faroudja DCDi deinterlacing (doesn't get much better) and the picture was better with the interlaced signal, no doubt about it. It's to do with the ALIS panel, don't ask me why, something to do with effectively doubling the resolution, trust me if it's an ALIS panel you're better off feeding it an interlaced signal.

Andy.