1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What dvd to use when demoing plasmas

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by gadgetman, Jun 12, 2004.

1. gadgetman

gadgetman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Going to look at a few options of different plasmas. Can anyone recomend a dvd or dvds to take to check picture quality.

2. reckless

reckless

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I took a strange assortment with me for the following reasons. I'm not an expert in these matters but I found them helpful.

Bruce Allmighty. Might seem like a strange choice but on the initial language screen it shows a very white background with the faces of the two character shown to the side. This very light image showed me that I could see flicker on panny screens.

Godzilla. Mainly because it's a very dark film with lots of very drab colours in places. This, in combination with the fact that it's a 2.35:1 ratio film let me see how dark the borders around the image look (how black etc). This sort of image showed me that I didn't really like the black on the pio 434.

Star wars ep1. Mainly to see again how dark space scenes looked and also for the fast movement in the pod race sequence. I found this handy when looking at lcd screens.

I also took minority report as the colours in this are very muted and I found it interesting to see how plasmas handled the subtleties of these images.

I would point out that I am a complete novice at these things and I'm sure there are better ways to assess screens but I found these helpful.

I would also see how the screens handle sky and analogue. Time it right and you may see football (Euro 2004) on some screens to see if it looks ok to you.

Bear in mind though that what looks fine to one person does not to another.

For example, one of the issues with the pio screen is that some people here seem to have problems with the football on it. I have to say that from my limited inspection, even though I didn't like the blacks on the screen, I thought the football looked good on it. Likewise, I can see flicker on the panny when others here can't. It just goes to show that it's all down to individual eyesight/tolerance etc.

Best of luck anyway and I hope some others here can provide you with better advice.

3. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +674
    I would say that you should just take a couple of discs you know well.

I use Vertical Limit and 5th Element to set colours, black level, white level etc. on my display devices and I know what detail should be in certain scenes, If you take too many discs you will loose track of what you are actually looking for imho.