What DVD to partner Sanyo Z2?

Yandros

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Having added a Z2 to our home cinema setup, our trusty old Sony 725 is starting to look like the weak link.

We've just installled 14m of Belden 1694 component cable for the Z2 (Mark Grant special), so DVI etc would only be of interest for future proofing. I'm still a novice regarding the whole progressive scan lark, but I gather that I need to be looking for at least 575p output (is 720p possible over component?), and the player should have a better de-interlacer than the one onboard the Z2 to make it worthwhile.

Any recommendations?

I'm running a Denon 2200 via 12m of Mr Grants cable and find the picture spot on at 100" via Z2 onto a DRH screen.

I even had it running side by side with a HD935 back in January, but the picture looked way too "computerish" when compared to the "cinematic" (best description I can come up with) picture offered by the 2200.

Regards,

Chris L.

Thanks. Denon was definitely on my shortlist, and I think I'll now scrub the HD935. I was just reading a review of it yesterday and it looked almost too good to be true...maybe it is!

I'm projecting onto 96" diagonal incidentally and sitting about 1.5 screen widths away, so picture quality is pretty important.

I had the same issue with my 935 and the pio 757, i just preferred the 757 via component in the end, so sold the 935. Great dvd player for the money though its just that i preferred the 757.

Meant to say that i also have a Z2 and it was this pj that i was using as my display when making the comparison.

Yandros,

Don't get me wrong the picture from the HD935 (via DVI that is) was very good and especially when you consider the HD935 was circa £135 from panther online at the time, but it was somewhat artificial / not as natural looking as the 2200 picture.

Maybe if I hadn't seen them back-to-back, I would have been more than happy with the 935, but once I had seen the 2200's output the price difference was justified to me.

Regards,

Chris

Interesting feedback about the HD 935 with PLV z2.

I was thinking of partnering my ordered PLV z2 with either the HD935 or the Pioneer DV 565.

Does anyone have any side by side experience of both? Obv. I miss out on dvi and also PAL progressive scan with the Pioneer... but will i notice the difference?

I'm also curious about the audio quality with the HD 935, none of the magazine reviews have mentioned it... I assume that the pioneer's sound is superior? I'll be partnering the source with a Pioneer VSX D812 and the KEF 2005's

Any thoughts anyone?

The hd935 was amazingly sharp with ntsc material via hdmi to my z2, better imho than my 757 which really impressed my. I did however find the hd935 to be lacking on pal material just far too much picture noise i think its called.

In the end after much messing around i just preferred the overall picture quality from my pioneer as chris l stated it just seemed more cinematic. Also on my 757 the blacks were far deeper than the hd935.

As for progressive scan my 757 only does ntsc and to be honest i can only just see a difference if any between progressive and non progressive.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom