What dvd recorder for up to £500?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Hardc0r3UK, Dec 1, 2003.

1. Hardc0r3UK

Hardc0r3UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am saving up for a DVD recorder so that I can sell my budget LG-5253 DVD player and also sell my VHS player. It will be nice to get some more shelf space back as DVD boxes take up a lot less room. I don't record things that much but it would be nice to have the option. So far I have looked at the Philips DVDR80 and it seems good but I'm not convinced enough to spend £500 on it. I would be much happier to buy one with less options but better play back and recording quality. Ideally I would like to spend around £350 but as I said I can spend up to £500 for something very special.

Edit - I've just seen the Panasonic DMR E50EBS DVD Recorder on amazon at £250. Its looks good. What do you lot think?

2. roland

roland

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A Phillips dvdr80 will only cost you around £350 Really!

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    E50 superb mate strech to £550 and get an HS2 the dogs ******** of DVD recorders!!!

4. Hardc0r3UK

Hardc0r3UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
  6. dude1971

dude1971

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As has been said on other threads, it depends on what you want it for. Have you got a camcorder? If so, go for the Panasonic e60 as it has i-link. If not, the e50 is your best bet as the Philips has reliability issues (before I get flamed, my two friends have had mega problems with their Philips machines but they still recommended that I get one as they love them, go figure).

Regards

Dude

7. calscot

calscot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    From what I've learned on this site, the dodgy reliability of Philips machines were only refering to early 880's and NOT the new models.

I had a dodgy 880 replaced under warranty within ten minutes with no quibbles. The replacement set has been 100% reliable.

The Panasonic projector AE100 had many reliability problems but I wouldn't apply that to the AE200, 300 or 500, OR their DVD recorders!

As for choosing a recorder, I would say that the Panny E50 is the best value as an entry model and would agree that if I had 500 quid to spend I'd probably stretch to an HS2 for the convenience of HDD and the quality of RGB in (over the Pioneer and Toshiba).

8. Hardc0r3UK

Hardc0r3UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It seems like a lot of money for a HDD and better RGB. I'm wondering if I would be better off getting the E50 and replacing my JVC OFC with some Philex Thor scart leads?