1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What DVD Recorder do i Need?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Trekker, Feb 13, 2005.

1. Trekker

Trekker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HI there.

I was wanting to get my mum a DVD recorder to replace the VHS Recorder that she has.

I want to know what type of recorder would be best, below are the things that i need:

To record and play on a daily basis over and over on the same disk.
    Price range of about £100 - £200

This is to record a lot of things from the TV.

Was thinking of one that will use RAM disks as they are able to record over and over.

Any Help would be appreciated.

Trekker

2. DVD-RAM

DVD-RAM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Buy a Panasonic E55, which uses DVD-RAM. You can find them from between £170-£200.

They are the dogs biscuits!!!! :)

Whatever you do, do not even think of buying anything with 'Philips' written on it.

3. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +335
    If you're not bothered about archiving or playing discs on other dvd players, but just want to be able to time shift programmes, I would agree with a RAM player like the one suggested above. RAM discs are apparantly the most stable, reliable discs on the market, and can be re-recorded onto some 100,000 times, (other rw discs are 1,000 I believe). 10 RAM discs can be bought for £15 + p&p from SVP. Very reliable as I've used them myself. Click the link below:

http://www.blankdiscshop.co.uk/acatalog/FOR_DVD_RAM___CLICK_HERE.html

4. wokeye

wokeye

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    I was also thinking about one of the Panasonic recorders too. I know this player uses DVD-Ram discs and it also states that it uses DVD-R discs. Can they use DVD-RW discs or is this not the case. Thanks

5. jesmat2003

jesmat2003
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Panasonic recorders cannot record on to DVD-RW discs. However, DVD-RAM is arguably better for recording on, unless you wish to play the recordings on another player afterwards, in which case DVD-RWs offer better compatibility.

6. SDHoward

SDHoward
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Although I'd suggest going for caddied rams as you don;t have to worry too much where you stick your fingers and you can almost pretend they're a video tape...

7. jpurkey

jpurkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree. DVD-RAMs while probably more durable, can be a bit write-fussy when it comes to dirt and dust. The double-sided cartridges are probably better. You do have to flip them to use the other side, but you get twice the capicity in the same amount of space.