what dvd ram type to buy??

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by danny74, Jul 26, 2004.

1. danny74

danny74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I purchased a pana e55 recorder at the weekend and am looking to buy some ram discs but i am confused buy the different ram type ie type 1 and type 2, can anyone tell me what the types mean. cheers

2. apreading

apreading

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Stolen from Rasczak:

DVD-RAM disks can come in square protective cartridges that protect the disk from damage. Ideal if you have kids, pets or anything else that damages media.

However most DVD-RAM compatible devices only take non-caddy DVD-RAM disks and so many disks are now sold without cartridges - instead they are covered with a special coating that offers protection to the disk. If you are using DVD-RAM disks with your PC frequently I suggest getting the non-caddy version as it saves the hastle of removing/reinserting disks from their caddies.

Just for your reference the main types of DVD-RAM disk and their definitions are:

Type 1
    Double Sided disc mounted permanently in a protective cartridge.

Type 2
    Single Sided disc in a protective cartridge, but the disc can be removed from the cartridge for playback in DVD-ROM drives that have DVD-RAM playback capability.

Type 4
    Double Sided disc in a protective cartridge, but the disc can be removed from the cartridge for playback in DVD-ROM drives that have DVD-RAM playback capability.

3. danny74

danny74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the information its much clearer now.