Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

What DVD players are you MXE owners using?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by Lennyz, Jun 29, 2003.

1. Lennyz

Lennyz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Title says it all really, I just wonder what people find works well with the MXE?

I am looking to get prog scan on NTSC and Pal but just wonder if you think it is worth it?? If not I am considering the Pioneer 656A or I might stretch to the Pio757ai as it seems to be in favour presently.

Also did people demo players at home before purchase or just go on spec. I have tried a relatives ArcamDV88 through component and I thought it was excellent but that was just an interlaced source and relied on the MXE scaling.....good though.

BTW I am curious about SACD an DVD-a hence the bias for the Pioneer models but I am mainly interested in PQ for price

Lennyz

2. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +149
    Denon 3800 set top.

You should give some thought to using a PC for DVD playback via the DVI input. PQ is superb and with some tweaking should be better than any set top.

Plenty of info on the HCPC bit of this forum.

3. midlander

midlander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I'm using a Pioneer 737 with the 503MXE at the minute and the image is great, a lot better than $ky. Hopefully on Friday I'll be receiving a 757 with the new PAL progressive mod.
    TBH I've not noticed a lot of difference switching between the interlaced and progressive outputs on the 737. This is probably because the MXE turns the interlaced signal into prog anyway.
    I'll post regarding the 757 when it arrives.

Martyn

4. ncpl

ncpl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Meridian 598DP and it is simply awesome with the MXE.

DVD-A also excellent. No idea about SACD....can't play 'em

5. Lennyz

Lennyz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Thanks all,

I am leaning towards a 757 at the mo but I will try before I buy..

I have thought about the HCPC thing but up until recently I was using a Realmagic decoder card from my PC to watch DVD's with (I know!:blush: ) I was using this as a cheap dvd player as I planned to wait til DVD players became more sophisticated before purchasing one.....two weeks ago my PC blew up! taking everything. I mean not even my CD-RW drive works now let alone graphics card.

This forced me into a decision about my DVD playback needs and to be honest I just want an easy option after using the PC for so long..I used to get lock ups etc. y'know the routine:mad: except for me the PC was in another room so it was even more annoying. I used the PC for about two years and it gave good results till............Bang! I am replacing it but I need a break from relying on it for DVD playback.

I may look at the DVi/HCPC thing after having used a conventional player for a while, out of curiosity really.

Lennyz

6. RAMiAM

RAMiAM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Denon DVD-A1
    Really please with the player, especially after a few firmware updates and looks stunning with the Pio503MXE.

Good luck with whatever you purchase.

RAMiAM