What DVD Player?????

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Pulsar, Jan 19, 2003.

1. Pulsar

Pulsar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +329
    Hello all.

I have only recently found this great forum, but I have been into home cinema and Hi-fi for ages. This is my current setup.

Toshiba ZP18 36" widescreen TV
    Philips DVDR-1000 DVD Recorder
    Toshiba SD220E DVD Player
    Yamaha DSPAX 620 AV amplifier
    Rotel RA01 Steroe amplifier
    Rotel RCD02 CD player
    Monitor audio S1 front speakers
    Monitor audio Silver centre speaker
    Monitor audio B2 rear speakers
    REL Quake Sub
    QED, IXOS and Cable Talk cabling.

I have only recentlt upgraded to the new spaker package, and now feel that the DVD playback quality needs to be improved. I have tried using both the Toshiba and the Philips for playback, and I fell the Toshiba is slightly better. I am using a QED SQUART to connect it to my TV. Can anyone suggest a DVD player that would represent a good upgrade from my current DVD player? I have looked at the Pioneer 656, and the Denon 2800 MkII. Has anyone had any good/bad experiences with either of these? I am mostly looking to improve on the smoothness of the picture, and the colour definition.

All help is appreciated.

Rob

2. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +474
    I suggest for good and bad comments on the Pioneer 656 and Denon 2800MKII that you do a search on this forum as they are both discussed frequently.

As for other alternatives ... what is your budget - the Pioneer is around £350 and the Denon nearer £700 so how much are you willing / able to spend.

If you can manage £1000 then I would recomend the Arcam DV88+ as thats what I have an find it excellent ... but it's all down to budget, etc.

Victoria

3. Pulsar

Pulsar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +329
    Hi Victoria

I Haven't decided on a budget yet. CD performance is also important as I may ditch the Rotel.

Any more comments?????

Rob

4. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +474
    Well ... if one consideration is ditching your CD player ... I would definately take a listen / look at the Arcam DV88+ (or the original DV88 if you can find it at bargain price like I did).

Not only will this give you good CD playback, but (if your Tosh telly has them) will also allow you to connect it via the compent video for best quality - though I'm using it on the RGB and it's brilliant though that too!!

Victoria

BTW ... I'm confused ... Have you just bought the Monitor Audio or Dynaudio 42s?

5. Pulsar

Pulsar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +329
    HELLO VICTORIA.

I WILL TAKE A LOOK AT THE ARCAM, BUT IT IS A BIT MORE MONEY THAN I HAD LOOKED AT SPENDING. I WILL CLEAR UP THE SPEAKER ISSUE. I MADE THAT FIRST POST ON THE 'TURNTABLE OR CD' WITH MY FRIEND WHO IS ALSO INTERESTED IN GETTING A TURNTABLE, (PROBABLY MORE THAN I AM) HE HAS EXACTLY THE SAME AMP AND CD SOUCE AS ME, BUT HE HAS THE DYNAUDIO'S AND I HAVE THE MONITOR AUDIO'S. :blush:

WILL I BE ABLE APPRECIATE THE BENEFITS OF UPGRADING FROM A TOSH SD220E TO FOR EXAMPLE THE ARCAM ON MY 36" TOSH TV? WHAT ARE THE MAIN BENEFITS OF A BETTER DVD SOURCE?

THANKS

ROB

6. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +474
    I had similar ... a Tosh SD210E, then for a short while a NAD T550 and then the Arcam. I have a 32" JVC TV. Going from the Tosh to the NAD the picture quality didn't change much at all ... but then going to the Arcam the colours and image generally are just so clear and intense. It's like (but not quite as dramatic as) the difference in looking out of your window on a cloudy overcast day, compaired with a lovely sunny day.

Hope this helps.

Victoria

PS. I know that just after Christmas there were companies around who had new and ex-dem DV88 for around £500 - 600.

7. Pulsar

Pulsar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +329
    HI

WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE DV88 AND DV88 PLUS?

WOULD THE ARCAM MATCH MY ROTEL FOR CD PERFORMANCE?

DO YOU THINK RGB SCART THROUGH A QED SQUART OR COMPONENT VIDEO WILL GIVE ME THE BEST RESULTS ON MY CURRENT SETUP? I HAVE READ THE MASSIVE THREAD ON THIS, BUT COULDN'T FIND A CLEAR ANSWER, AND YOU SEEM VERY KNOWLEDGABLE.

THANKS

ROB

8. fancyabrew

fancyabrew

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I took a look at the ARCAM 88+ as CD replay was important to me, in the end I settled for a ARCAM CD82T and the Pioneer 656A together they cost the same as the 88+ The picture quality of the 88+ is superb but you need a Plasma, projector or a bloody big telly to do it justice. I've found the 656A to be very good, excellent picture and sound and it'll do SCAD and DVD-A out of the box. Likewise the CD82 is a fab CD player especially with my A85 AMP