1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What DVD player?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Dr.Rock, Jan 12, 2002.

1. Dr.Rock

Dr.Rock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    OK, I need some help, what's a decent DVD player I should be aiming for?

I narrowed my search down to the Toshiba 210 and Pioneer 444, both around £200. This was based on a discussion with a salesman. I can get them multi-region from Techtronics (www.techtronics.com) but the Tosh is less reliable for RCE because it has no manual override for region-setting. The way the Pioneer has been modified though, region-selection can be automatic or manual, so future RCE problems are fixed with the manual setting.

Pioneer has 540 horizontal lines resolution. What's the res on the Tosh?

So it looks like the Pioneer 444 is more favourable to me. What other DVD players should I be looking at, from other brands, in case I overlooked something important? Good picture and sound is important, otherwise it won't be doing my 33" TV and Denon 6.1 amp any justice. Onboard DD/DTS decoders aren't important because the amp has those anyway.

I hope to buy my DVD player soon, so all advice is welcome.

I used to have a Warfedale M5 which I bought on impulse, but gave that back to the shop for a full refund when it went faulty.

Thanks,

Sarmad.

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +829
    Hi

The Tosh has 540 line resolution as well, all toshibas have, they just dont push it as its now a standard feature.

The Tosh is Auto Region select, to get round RCE you just put in a Non-RCE disc then eject it, then put in the RCE disc, simple!

If you´ve already been watching a Non-RCE disc & then put in an RCE disc, the machine just plays straightaway, no faffing about!

Both picture & sound quality are excellent & CD playback is pretty good as well.

Shop around as the Toshiba can be got from 150 quid upwards!

I got mine from Richer Sounds.

cheers

3. Zone

Zone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,114
    Agree with Jase..

Go 210 Go 210

[​IMG]

Si

4. perry ferrit

perry ferrit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Check forum classifidesi have very good sony multi region player for sale for the right money, player new 12 months ago cost me over £400 . Player is a cut down version of the much acclaimed 735 brill pic and sound. A friend has tosh 210 and when compared with my player the soney pic is more dynamic and colours are great. Look for some reviews for the sony dvp-536 or dvp-735 and see for your self.

player for sale on forum classifides page 2;)

5. Cool-hand

Cool-hand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    Hi Dr Hook

I believe we've spoken before and then I suugested the 210e.
    It's a great player (well they both are) so I would see the OS menu's for usability now and then pick.

Jase is correct in that playing a region 1 disc for a few seconds then changing it for the region 1 RCE disc will work. It's called 'disc swap-out'.

One more thing to remember is the 210e has component out, many new tv's are adding this in to give the best possible picture quality.