1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What DVD Player

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by piros, Oct 14, 2004.

1. piros

piros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +408
    hi there, i'm sure you get a lot of these threads, but looking to buy a dvd player to go with my plasma (Panasonic TH-42PA20). I'm looking to make a good system setup and plan to spend about £800-£1000 on the dvd player (unless that's too extreme?), i'd like amazing picture and sound quality, do you reckon it'd be stupid to go for 7.1 for speakers ?

Currently got a sky+ box too, so will need to hook that up as well. let me know if you need anymore information as i'm sure you will need it. :)

2. aliflack

aliflack
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    what inputs does your plasma have? component or HDMI/DVI??

3. BrianC

BrianC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    Is the £800 to £1000 including amplification and speakers, or is it just for the DVD player?

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
  5. piros

piros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +408
    budget is just for the dvd player

Interface Type: Video - 24 pin DVI, Video - Component Video, Video - RCA Composite Video, Video - S-Video (4 pin mini-DIN)

6. BrianC

BrianC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    Denon 3910?

I'm very happy with mine, but I've only just started saving for my HDTV display (which must have DVI) so I haven't tried the DVI from the 3910, only the component.

What ever DVI capable player you go for I would make sure you throughly test it against your display using the DVI input before buying it, as some people seem to be having problems.

7. ihan

ihan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Arcam DV79 at a £1000; has fantastic component output, plus has HDMI for when you get a new display. It was slightly more detailed than the pio 868 when I demoed both. Denon 3910 has blocking problems via component, so don't bother.

8. NC11

NC11

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Try the Pioneer 868. IMO the best player around.

9. piros

piros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +408
    hmm, so a choice between the DV79 and the Pioneer 868, would they be the main two choices if i went to demo them ?

10. ihan

ihan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Wimbo,

Agreed. You may as well try and demo the Denon 3910, some people swear by theirs. I couldn't put up with the blocking via it's component output, but some have reported they don't even see it! Bear in mind that the DV79 is also a very good CD player. Whilst demoing the DV79, check its remote control response & angle of acceptance, this (for me) is the only drawback of an otherwise exceptional product.

11. BrianC

BrianC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    I'd test all three as well, but its very important that you test with the same display/pj that you plan on using and via the same connection type, otherwise any testing you do for picture type is largely irrelevant as certain problems are only apparent with certain makes of display when using a particular connection IMO

I'd also do a search the arcam folder for bad edits, I know this was a real problem on the DV88/89 (it put me right off), but I'm not sure if its an issue with the DV79, but their are plenty of links in those threads so you will at least know how to spot it.

12. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    I have two Denon 3910s and would love to say I am delighted with them. Unfortunately I cannot at the m0ment as they have a problem with audio and video break up after about 70 minutes watching. I know some of the older Denon players used to 'cook' the discs and exhibit this problem. I really hoped the 3910 did not suffer the same fate.

I am sad to say that I feel a pit peeved now having bought two of them. Had the first one about a month and it was fine until night before last. The same day I bought the second unit. The second one (in a different room and different setup) started doing the exact same thing last night. I'm now in a quandary at what to do but at this time cannot rtecommend the 3910 for this reason.

I should add that this problem is only with DVD-R discs burned on the PC and/or Philips/Panasonic stand alone DVD Recorders. All are Ritek G04 discs which never exhibited any problems on my previous Tosh SD900E and Pio 868 players.

13. BrianC

BrianC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    What speed do you burn your DVDs at? I've found that copied disks in my player(s) in my car(s) (not denons obviously) get far hotter if I've burned them at a higher speed - this applies to CDs as well.

Bizarre, but true.

14. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    4X. Thing is though I had absolutely no problems whatsoever with the Pio 868. Exact same disks/films. Only a probiem on the Denon.