What DVD player for my plasma?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by John Langton, Mar 6, 2005.

1. John Langton

John Langton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a fujitsu P50XHA10US and I live in the UK. What would be the best dvd player for this plasma. I was looking at the denon 2910 but not sure if this has proggresive scan

John

2. deanym

deanym

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    It has progressive scan and its fantastic. its gives 98% of the performance of the HDMI input.

I'd highly recommend it.

3. John Langton

John Langton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Dean. Havent denon brought out players with a DVI output? and if so then will it be better to connect a dvd player via the dvi or will it be better to buy a component board for my plasma and buy a dvd player such as the 2910?

John

4. deanym

deanym

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    2910 has a dvi output as well. its then up to you whether you want to use dvi or component.

Check the threads for connections for your fuji, these may have some inof on differences between dvi and component performance.

5. Cwhelan

Cwhelan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Budget permitting If your looking at Denon also look at the 3910 it's an excellent player. Very pleased with mine. :thumbsup:

6. deanym

deanym

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    Yup, if you got the cash the 3910 is fantastic esp if you're replacing a cd player as well.

Arcam Dv79 is also another that would demand serious consideration in that price range.

7. John Langton

John Langton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Went into 7oaks today to enquire about a new DVD layer for my plasma. I am pushed towards the 2910 not being able to afford the 3910 and the guy in the shop sang praises for it. using the HDMI output to my DVI output with a converter on the lead converting the HDMI to the DVI input on the back of my plasma.

I have a question though. I believe the HDMI carries the audio aswell but if I dont have any speakers connected to my plasma and I run my audio seperatly what is the point in using the HDMI from the dvd player? why not just use the DVI output?

Also where is the cheapest 2910s are going for and what should I expect to pay

Thanks for all info

John

8. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Depends on the player obviously but DVI out is going to be RGB 4:4:4 where as on some players HDMI can be YUV 4:2:2 (which is what is native on the DVD disc therefore no coloursapce conversion) . Arcam HDMI can do YUV 4:2:2 , not sure about Denon though.

9. Cwhelan

Cwhelan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    7oaks normally give a competitve price for shops anyway but you probably get a cheaper price from a web shop. I normally use www.pricerunner.co.uk to give good comparisons.

bueaty of a shop u can take it back no hastle & speak to someone (in my experience anyway)

What price did 7oaks quote?

CW.

10. deanym

deanym

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    Bettercables do a hdmi-dvi cable therefore you can run various versions of the hdmi straight into your display. The audio just to your amp. not many use the hdmi for sound - very few amps have an hdmi connection. Only top end ones! £4000+

11. John Langton

John Langton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    7oaks quoted me £500 for region 2 and £520 for region free. He then said if I bought it today I could have a multi region for £500

John

12. deanym

deanym

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    Good price - esp when you can take it straight back to shop if any problems arise without faffing with internet returns.

I paid same from local dealer.

13. John Langton

John Langton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is it worth paying them the extra £20 to make it multi region when you can get the firmware from here?

John

14. deanym

deanym

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    Tell your dealer just to do it for free!!

Mine did. No multi region, no sale!! it takes them seconds to do it! If they don't find another local who will!

John, where are you based?

15. John Langton

John Langton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im based at an RAF Base near inverness. RAF kinloss to be precise. Forres Morayshire

Cheers