1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what dvd/hd recorder ?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by terry mckellar, Mar 9, 2004.

1. terry mckellar

terry mckellar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Is there any one out there that can help me solve my problem about buying a hdd/dvd recorder ? I am looking at the pioneer dvr5100hs, the toshiba rdxs30 and the panasonic hs2. i`ve inquired about these in a few places and got different results from everywhere ! All i want is which one is the better and the ups and downs on each ? I allready own a toshiba 50 inch rear projection tv and a sony davs500 home cinema system so ant thing compatible. does it matter much about the rgb conection in as afew peaple have mentioned this ? Also it would help if you could pass me onto the cheapest place to get these! if there is any one that can help me it would be great
    terry mckellar
  2. Rasczak

Distinguished Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    The HS2 is on the verge of being replaced by the Panasonic E85 so take a look at that as well. There are two new JVC HDD/DVDR units on the horizon as well which may be of interest.

With regard to compatibility then ALL HDD/DVDR combos record to DVD-R. This is THE most compatible DVDR format and so will (almost certainly) play on your Sony Home Cinema setup.

The only question is whether re-writeable DVD media will play on your Sony. Panasonic and Toshiba HDD/DVDR units record to DVD-RAM - this will NOT play in your Sony but then you'll find you'll probably only use write-once disks anyway. JVC and Pioneer models will record to DVD-RW (the JVC will also record to DVD-RAM) which will play on most DVD players.

Yes! Short of having component or DVI/HDMI input then RGB input is the best type of connection you can get. Also virtually all Digiboxes from Sky and Freeview output in RGB and NOT the next best thing, S-Video. Therefore if you want to make the best quality recordings then you NEED an RGB input. Currently only Panasonic make such models so you would need to choose between the Panasonic E100, Panasonic E85 or (about to be replaced) Panasonic HS2. I would suggest the E85 presents the best value there.

Ultimately it's a trade off - if you want to use re-writeable media to play in your Sony then you'll have to consider a DVD-RW machine - I would suggest the JVC models look the best. If this is not a concern (given that you can always connect the digital audio out to your Sony Home Cinema and play records on your DVD recorder) then consider a Panasonic model.

The JVC models and Panasonic E85 will become available in the next few weeks so you'll have to hold fire. If you want one of the models available now do a search on www.pricerunner.co.uk