What DVD for projection system

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by rigman, Nov 22, 2001.

1. rigman

rigman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +78
    Hi

I am just about to take the plunge and get a Barco 808 and quadscan from a well known member of this forum.
    At the moment I am using a Sony 725 DVD player with my TV and while I think this is good enough for my TV I am not sure if it will be good enough for my projector.

What I am looking for is picture quality. I am not interested in CD replay or MP3 or CDR etc etc as I already have a very good hifi system which is separate from the HC system.

An obvious choices is the Arcam FMJ 27 although I am wondering if I could get the same picture quality for less money as all the reviews talk about the excellent CD replay and the progressive scan capability of this machine which as I have said are not much use so I dont want to pay for them.

Other choices are Tosh 900E, Sony 9000ES and the Arcam 88.

Has anyone seen some of the above on a projection system and if so were the other features a consideration in your decision to purchase.

I have dismissed the idea of a HTPC for normal use as I want my wife and kids friendly although I will probably have a dabble with a PC myself.

Any help would be appreciated

Darren

2. rigman

rigman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +78
    Decided to go with the Toshiba SD-900E multiregion for a grand. Although I take most magazines ratings with a pinch of salt I noticed that most of the mags have this as a top player so they all can't be wrong

Can they???

Anyone else got this player and if so have you found any quirks at all.

thanks

Darren

3. Arthur.S

Arthur.S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If I were you rigman, I'd wait & see what your 725 looks like with the pj. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised! ;)

oops! noticed that you've already took the plunge. Money burnin' a hole eh? :) Ah well, you can spend a few hours doing comparisons. Let us know the results eh?

4. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,276
    725 is a decent machine.

No to Sony 9000
    Arcam great (£1k)
    Toshiba 900 great (£1.2k)

only other sugestion (£310 multi region) is the Toshiba 9000. I take it you will be using an external scaler then the Tosh 9000 begins to look a great bet. No need fOr Scart or PS.....

5. rigman

rigman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +78
    Thanks for that. Nick why did you say no for the Sony?
    I almost ended up tossing a coin between the Tosh and the Sony and it was only when I got on the phone to order did I finally go for the Tosh 900.

I thought about the Tosh 9000 but as far as I have read (on Audioreview.com) it is not as good, picture wise, as the 900 and it is also not RCE compatible.

I am getting it from Krishav (formally sdb). I have not read any bad reports of the service from them but then again I have not seen them mentioned in this forum at all which is suprising as they advertise every month in HCC mag. Techtronics was a no no due to the bad press recently. They are also giving me interest free credit which helps a bit especially at this time of year.

Arthur my heart sank a bit when I read your reply but then I remembered that in order to keep the kids from playing with the projection system when I get it I needed to give them access to a DVD player for all the kids movies they have. I think it is safer for them to have the sony 725 on the TV as that is easier to put right if they mess with the settings rather than the Barco. Will let you know if and how much of a difference there is from the two units.

regards

Darren

6. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rigman,

No need to second guess yourself, your choice is fine. I looked at the Tosh 900E, Sony 9000 and Pioneer 939. The Pioneer fell by the wayside (it was initially my first choice) as I read on a few US forums that there had been problems with Disney discs. This may or may not be a problem for R2 but it soured the whole idea.

The Sony looked good, aesthetically at least, and is pretty much transparent to RCE when modded but in terms of absolute performance it was not the best and I was after the best in terms of the picture quality. If you've ever seen this player in black you'll wonder what the attraction is for gold!

So I bought the Tosh. Despite pre-checks for RCE. Despite faults with the drive mechanism. Despite buying it from Techtronics and all the headaches that brings. And despite possessing not a single DVD-A disc. Put simply, it looks great and sounds great, both of which you will soon find out. My only advice is that you steer clear of Techtronics, other than this you have made an excellent choice. And that loading mechanism is SEX.

7. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,144
    It many not be quite the most user friendly option, but if picture quality is paramount, then you should think about a HCPC. It will wipe the floor with all the players mentioned.

8. Rob

Rob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    This is what I have decided to do rather than buy a dedicated player, for the time being anyway. I currently use a 725/Quad/808 combo and its OK, but I know it can be better. A PC may take some getting used to, but it seems the best way to go, especially considering the relatively small outlay. Have yet to see how user friendly it is though.

Rob.

9. rigman

rigman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +78
    Yes I am going to start experimenting with HTPC at the moment I am using it as a very expensive internet browser so it about time I got it to do some real work. It had better not give me any bother or else it will get a real kicking :D

thanks to you all for your input.

Darren

10. rigman

rigman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +78
    I have cancelled my order for the Toshiba 900E :eek:

Spectre you and Arthur S are the ones to blame for this.

You both planted the seed which grew until my bottle collapsed and I have now decided to stay with the Sony 725 I have for both the TV (Scart) and projector via Quadscan (component).

I am currently shopping for computer bits for HTPC.

Fingers crossed that I will still have my hair attached in a few weeks but if I get stuck I am sure all of you excellent chaps out there will help :D

11. Dangerous

Dangerous

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Darren
    Could you let me know how you get on with the HCPC side of things. Although we have a forum on site I don't read anything srecific as to what to buy and I like specifics!

Thanks
    Dave

12. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,276
    Darren

Quite simply on picture quality, it is not as good as the other models discussed here. The Tosh are great but the HCPC will give the best image if you don't mind the extra hassle, which most of us don't.

13. rigman

rigman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +78
    Dangerous

at the moment I have the Radeon 7200, Pioneer 106S DVD player and the Fortisimo 2 sound card on my list to buy which will replace the less powerful / less suitable items on my current PC. I think the general consensus is that they should be okay from reading the posts in this and AVSforum. I have a 1 gig Athlon with 384meg ram, 30 gig hard drive currently.
    I am not planning to get quiet PC components yet I will see how I get on with the above conponents first and if all is well I am sure it will evolve over time. Theatertek software player looks good I will keep an eye out for that.
    Will let you know how I get on

Darren