What DVD backup / play format?

kentlad

Standard Member
Reaction score
I am at early stages of setting up my new HTPC, looking to use ThearterTek or similar for playback, but wondering what the best format would be for playback etc. I have used DVD Decrypter to BACKUP my DVDs to HD, however the total file size is still 4-7GB, this is choosing main movie files only, not interested in menus or extras.

My goal is to have the smallest file posssible (Divx, Xvid etc. not worried about type) WITHOUT any loss (noticeable) of quality in picture or sound.

Is this at all possible using any of the latest codecs / compression? I am not to bothered if a film is still 2-3GB but 7GB is some size.

How is it generally down out there, anyone have any recommendations or preferences?

Many thanks
Kentlad.

Hi,

I compress my films to Xvid, maxing out the bitrate (around 1500) and keeping the AC3 sound track, I use DVX to do this, and get a file size between 1.5gb to 3gb. I also use ffdshow to post process the playback and on my PW7 plasma the quality is VERY good...

It really is a case of experimenting, as it depends a lot on your display device, and playback software as to how the final compressed file will look quality wise.

Last edited by a moderator:
How big is the display?

If it isn't that big. You can use DVD Shrink to compress. It is also possible to Shrink a DVD multiple times and end up with 1.5-2GB. It takes a while but juts keep backing up to a hard disk folder then open the new files and shrink again to a different folder. Doing it with just the movie makes it possible.

Another way is to use RATDVD which can create a single file of a DVD (complete with menus and extras).

Display is a Pio 436XDE, looking at connecting via DVI-HDMI (card is a 6800 ultra) or the vga port if overscan etc wont play (tried once, playing black white 2 was a nightmare)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom