What DVD and A/V receiver combo for £2K

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by taimur, Jan 10, 2003.

1. taimur

taimur
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm going to be setting up my home cinema/DVD system from scratch, and I'll be setting things up in stages. First I'd like to buy a DVD player, surround amplifier and a set of speakers. I have a budget of around £2K for the DVD player and amp..... what should I get?

I like the Linn Klassic movie system, as it's an all in one box, but I think it lacks a bit of connectivity

I also like the idea of buying a DVD player/amp from the same manufacturer (for the sake of style) and so I've thought about the following too:

Arcam DV88 and AVR200
    Denon AVC A11SR and DVD-1600

I heard a set of Keff 5.1 speakers in my local hifi shop and thought they sounded great with the Linn system they connected up, but I think I can get better quality of music and AV sound from separate components rather than from an all-in-one Linn system. I also heard the sound from a Toshiba 200E and a Yamaha ?466 receiver, but I prefered the sound from the Linn.

In a year or so, I'll probably buy a plasma screen. Just now, I have NTL digital cable, the box of which only has a SCART output, which I plan to put into the VHS input, and the VHS sound/SCART output will go into the amplifier. The DVD input to the amp will be separate.... unless of course there's a better way.

Thanks for your views.
    Taimur
    Glasgow

2. jont

jont

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    There was some comments about the Linn Klassic and the Arcam DV88/AVR200 in a recent thread ... do a search and you;ll get some feedback there ...

3. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    you may be able to stretch to a DVD-3800 and the A11SR...this would be even better...

I have seen 3800 for £800 and A11SR for £1300 - making £2100

You would then already have a prog scan (both PAL and NTSC) player for your shiny new plasma!!!

P.S. the 3800 also allows RGB pass through (as it has two scarts) which may help with preserving RGB for both NTL AND DVD for one TV input

JJ

4. taimur

taimur
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK I did a search as suggested and read the threads. One question bothers me at this stage - if the Arcam AVR100 was only out for less than a year before being superceded by the AVR200, how long before the AVR200 is replaced with a few more features?

And are there many features it doesn't have?

Taimur