1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What DV Camcorder??

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by daleview, Apr 8, 2003.

1. daleview

daleview

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anybody have any recommendations for a DV Camera: 1. Around $1000
    2. Stills pictures NOT important. 3. Special Effects etc NOT important. 4. DV in/out . Basically the best quality video for the price. I know there are a lot out there but if anyone could narrow the list down I would be grateful!

2. Tunes Man

Tunes Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My advice to you would be to buy one of the Sony model cams. I own a couple of Sony camcorders and am very pleased with them.
    It's a well known fact that Sony is the leader in video technology.
    If you limit it $1000, I'm sure there are plenty of dv cams that Sony has to choose from. Also, I'm sure that if you pick out one of their dv cams they'll include a firewire input/output.
    Hope this helps. Tunes Man.

3. Origin

Origin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    "It's a well known fact that Sony is the leader in video technology.
    "

Errr, does that explain why many TV companies are switching away from overpriced Sony kit, to use Panasonic instead?

From my experience, Sony are a bit like Apple are to the world of computers:- attractive looking kit, but not always as good as it supposed to be, and often incompatible with everyone else so they can tie you in.

4. Tunes Man

Tunes Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To Origin: I don't think daleview was talking about what cameras
    T.V. stations use, I think he was talking about consumer camcorders.

5. EvilMudge

EvilMudge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As Moderator:
    Guys, please keep things civil. Tunes, you made a statement which you can't back up, and it is true the professional market is dumping Sony in favour of Panasonic at the moment. However, you are right that daleview is talking about consumer level products.

As myself:
    daleview, different brands seem to concentrate more on different features. The Sonys are good if you are looking for great low light performance and have one of the best image stabilisation routines I've experienced. However, the Panasonics and Cannons at that price range are normally more fully featured camcorders, with less in the way of compatability problems with some editing software.