1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What DV camcorder for my budget?

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by Chaves, Nov 5, 2003.

1. Chaves

Chaves

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wonder if any experienced cam user can help me chosing a camcorder until £900. I have been looking arround and I know I can buy a good camacorder whithin this budget. Probably with lots of functionality I will not use immediatly on family/friends/vacations movies. Anyway, why buying a cheaper one and than realize it's limitations after 1 year. I want a very good image quality, optical zoom, 16x9 recording capability. I 'll use it for fun, with family, friends and group activities (in door and out door) and I pretend to build up my own movies on dvd with the appropriate software. I also don't need to capture other non-DV formats. By arround £900 I can buy the new cannon MVX3i, but I have not seen any review available yet on the net. Are there similar models from cannon or any other brand that I should pay attention to?

Thanks in advance for any possible help.

2. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +299
    For picture quality try the Panasonic NV GS70 - Leica lens, 3CCD and 1.7MP. Reasonably small and takes stills on a memory card. Have one in the house and picture quality is simply ace.

I also have a Sony PC105 which also performs well but is a very diff type of camera.

Full retail on both is 1000 pounds but are easily available online for around the 750 mark. Check them out.

3. simonph

simonph
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Watch out for panasonics, they put digital stabilisers in their cameras which are pants. I had a GX7 but had to sell it cos of this.

4. Chaves

Chaves

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks both. I have been reading some reviews and I found out the Sony DCR-TRV80 also. The stabiliser is digital but it seams that performs well, as the optical one form MVX3i (both better than the digital stabiliser from the GS70). I was also having a look at Panasonic MX500, even thouh it's a lilte bit above my budget (but is a 3 CCD model: will I get higher movie quality than on the 1 CCD models from sony and cannon?). Any clue that can help me to take a decision?

5. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    1 CCD vs 3 CCD

It depends on the CCDs used a good 1 CCD will outperform a poor 3 CCD - there are some new Sonys with 2MP 16x9 chips available.

May be TRV80

6. TommyVecetti

TommyVecetti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    I never heard of a case where a single *good* CCD out performed a poor 3CCD. It's not really possible, unless said model was faulty. I think you are making this up.

7. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Well single CCD models are getting more and more pixels, so it is pretty obvious a 2MP camera would probably out perform one with say 3 1/2MP chips.

Note I said good vs poor as I still expect a good 3 CCD to be unbeatable.

It is just that the bargain basement 3CCD models are still not as good as the £2000 top end models.

Perhaps it would be worth someone on this forum doing a head to head between a budget 3CCD and the nearest in cost new gen Sony 2MP 1CCD and prove it one way or another.

8. Chaves

Chaves

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree. And for me, along my "decision process", taht's a good question. Shall I buy the Panasonic 3CCD NV GS70 (770£) or the Sony 1 CCD TRV80 (£920)? Or shall I go further and buy the Panasonic 3CCD NV MX500 (£1.070). Does the £300 difference freom the GS70 pay the optical stabilizer and the 3,5" LCD screen?

9. TommyVecetti

TommyVecetti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    A camcorders Megapixel value only relates to it's ability to take still photographs, it has no baring on the video quality at all. A 3CCD camera will give better colour reproduction on video than a single CCD video camera, again, this has no baring on it's abilty to take still photographs.

This mega pixel mallarky on camcorders is a gimmick, because it only relates to the cameras still photo taking ability, it has absolutely no effect on the resolution of the video footage I'm afraid. But the manufacturers do not explain this :nono:

Single chip camcorders will soon be a thing of the past, so If you haven't bought a camcorder yet but intend to, get a 3CCD model, and forget this megapixel business unless you want to take photographs as well.

They don't have all the frills, but what are you basing this knowledge on? have you tested models yourself? This still does not mean a single chip model would be better than a 3 chip model, even if it was *bargain basement* to use your venacular. It just wouldn't.

:)

10. torrent

torrent

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Be a little wary of cameras with Digital Stabilisers if you will be using the camera's 16:9 mode. A lot of these Digital Stabilisers use the extra pixels, which are normally used when shooting 16:9, for stabilising. In a nutshell this means the digital stabiliser will not work in 16:9 mode!

I'd be very surprised if any digital stabiliser performed as well as an optical one.

11. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +299
    Well with the NVGS70 I dont have any stabilisation issues even when using it hand held at close to max optical zoom. For a 750 pound camera the results are excellent.

I agree in general though digital stabilisers are not better than optical ones - I used to own a JVC digicam in which the digital stabiliser let the side down.

12. JayX

JayX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    i wish they'd do a pure DV Editing version of cameras for a lower price. i paid £1300 for my TRV950 (Sony 3ccd) and half the features on it are redundant due to the fact i use my pc for all the editing. it seems they're still wanting to stick consumer level additions on semipro level cameras for some stupid reason :(

other than that tho, awesome camera. i find the still shot mode to be fine for my uses so the memory stick is a bonus, and the ability to capture via the analog in is also really handy.

13. TommyVecetti

TommyVecetti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    The TVR950 is an outstanding camera.