1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what dts amp and speakers to buy?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by dean richardson, May 16, 2001.

1. dean richardson

dean richardson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought a tosh 32 in widescreen tv @ xmas with pro logic, but feel that i need more umph as the sound when playing dvds is not that good. Can anyone suggest an amp with DTS and/or DD plus the required speakers to give me a decent sound.

my constraints are: about £250 for the amp, £350 for the speakers (these should be a small as possible as the doris doesnt share my enthusiasm about turning the front room into UCI !)

ps. heard that yamaha dspa5 is a decent amp , is this true!

2. stefinch

stefinch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi! I'm using the old version of the A5, iv'e got the Yamaha A595a, they are great amps with plenty of power I would definitly buy another Yamaha amp, if the A5 is better than this and it's at the right price BUY IT.
    I can't recommend any sub/sat packages as I have never heard any, I use floorstanders TANNOY 637's at the front these are superb with music and films. Check my site out for full spec. good luck Steve.

[ 17-05-2001: Message edited by: stefinch ]

3. js

js

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought a Yamaha A5 last summer and all I can say is wow. I got it for £280 from Richer Sounds and am very impressed with it. One thing you do need to know is that it doesn't have a tuner whereas I think a lot of other amps do.
    In terms of speakers I hear Tannoy are a good bet to go for both films and music, I don't own them as I got a good deal on some end of line speakers back then. I'm sure someone will give better advice on speakers but I've read that so many people are happy with their Tannoy setups.
    Good luck with it and enjoy.

4. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Actually amps with tuners are called receivers, the DSP-A5 equavilant is the RX-V596.
    There is also the lower speced (aka cheaper) RX-V496 available, as well with DD&DTS decoding.
    I would however go for the A5 and add an external tuner if required.

As well I used some Tannoy speakers (the old Mercury series) and found them very good if you are on a budget, perhaps some M(x)1 times 4 + Mc would do the trick, or M2 x2 + M1 x2 + Mc.

5. js

js

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I meant receiver, but as I said before the main point was that many people are happy with Yamaha A5s and you should be able to get hold one one at around £280-£300.
    There is a Tannoy thread on here which you might want to look at as some combos/prices are mentioned.