Question What downlighting system to go for

Baggins Shire

Standard Member
Hi,

Planning a renovation and looking to install downlighters in pretty much every room of the house. I would like them to be able to dim and be controlled by Alexa. What do you recommend I go with. Do not want a super expensive system installed so was thinking of LightwaveRF - but I've heard some mixed reviews about this.

Would be good to get your thoughts on this or any other brands you would recoomend

Cheers

B

Chester

LWRF are also running down their stocks of Gen 1 and ramping up their product range on Gen 2. Mixing the 2 generations is theoretically possible but has been diabolical in practice by those that have tried. One of the biggest things for me is LED dimming control, and although I can't vouch for this myself, others say that it's a big improvement. I'm hoping so, because I'm planning to do a full migration as soon as the products I need are available, so possibly next year or 2020.

The other reason I say 'maybe Gen 2' is because the product diversity with Gen 1 products is great, but LWRF are either only starting to plan broader product replacements rather than have them in development stages now, or simply aren't going to launch. For example, there are no plans for the black nickel finish we have invested in with Gen 1, although they have offered to custom build them. That means a full rip and replace of all non-LWRF black nickel stuff as well!

It's a shame. LightwaveRF is one of a few British companies in the home automation market and their products are aesthetically very nice. If you only require the products that are launched now (3-gang dimmers coming very soon apparently), go for it. But if you need something more versatile, I'd look to the likes of Fibaro or even Rako.

Baggins Shire

Standard Member
Thanks Chester - I need a 4-gang, so might have to wait a bit. Looked into Rako, but think it's too expensive as I'm only interesting in lights rather than heating, security etc. All I want it do to is be dimmable and be able to control by Alexa. I'll take a gander at Fibaro - cheers

@llan

Novice Member
My gen 2 lightwave switches have been faultless so far. Using them with a variety of fittings but for down lighters I have Aurora EN-FD102PC, they also do a non adjustable version. Fitted with Enlite EN-DGU005/40 bulbs (warm white). Dimming is smooth and plenty bright enough, these are the 5W version. Works very well with Alexa.

From all of the home automation kit I have, lightwave has been the most robust by far.

Chester

It's good to hear that. When they've got Gen 2 mood controllers available, I'll very likely upgrade then.

The latest video from AVForums

The Best Movies and TV Shows Coming to Netflix in November 2020: Tom's Thumbs.
Top Bottom