What.. Double DIN Satnav/DAB for Passat

springtide

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm loosing my company car so looking to buy a car and will really miss the built-in Satnav & DAB radio in my (new) Passat.

Will probably buy a s'hand Passat (again), probably 2006-2008 Estate, probably S, SE or Sport depending on what comes up.

With my previous Passat I got the Dynaudio audio system which I loved. My latest Passat (Sport) has DAB which I'd like again.

It seems that most of the Passat Estate have space for "Double DIN". I'm thinking of getting a decent double DIN head, maybe a 4 channel Amp and upgrade the standard speakers.

Not looking to blow the doors off the Passat, but getting something similar to what I had with the Dynaudio would be nice.

What I'm not sure about is how the 'CAN' integration works on some of the systems, for stuff like air con, reversing sensors etc. Anyone care to explain how this works (or not) with 3rd party head units?

Anyway, onto the head unit...

Looking at maybe..

- Kenwood DNX-4210DAB (~£640)
- Alpine INE-W925R (~£820)
- Pioneer ???
- JVC???

Maybe looking for an amp, 4x 80-100 watts RMS? it seems most of the head units have 4x 50 watts, but assume this isn't RMS. Previous experience implies a dedicated amp would be worthwhile.. but my experience is old and limited.

Speakers, now it seems most Passat's take 6.5" speakers, front and rear doors (but have limited depth). any ideas most welcome as have drawn a bit of a blank on what will fit and what won't.
I think a sub is out of the question, as it's a family car and need the space for carrying stuff around... so it's more about a solution that is more like a factory fit in terms of practicality.

Anyone.... ?? Or am I better finding an "ICE Center"? Would probably want it fitted, but figure finding what I want first (and what's possible) is a good idea

Looking above, the Kenwood seems a reasonable deal??

Thanks in advance..

Last edited:
did you come up with a solution.. would also be in an exact same situation as you.

Let me know what you came up with.

Haven't bought the car yet... although that is partly down to the decision on the above. The Passat does seem to be my preferred car as have had two so far and both have been reliable. I have 30 days before my car goes back, so need to make a decision in the next few weeks.

The DNX-4210DAB seems to get decent reviews, although I suspect the Alpine is the better unit. But I think once an external amp and replacement speakers is added, it will sound pretty decent. Seems great for the price... almost £200 less than the Alpine.

But if someone knows how the parking sensors integrate etc with the head unit, it would be very much appreciated :)

Just got this ....

Head Unit: Kenwood DNX 4230DAB
Front/Rear Speakers: Hertz ESK 165L (component:main/tweeter)
Rear Subwoofer: jL Audio 10w0-4 (for enclusure below)
Rear Sub Enclosure: http://www.eurotuningshop.com/produkt/p ... state.html
Amp: Hertz HCP5D - 55/90 W x 4 (front and rear) + 160/280 W (sub). [4 ohm/2 ohm]

All fitted apart from the Sub and Enclosure. Hopefully I'll get the enclosure at the end of this week for fitting next week.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom