1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what does throw mean?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Gadjet, May 7, 2003.

1. Gadjet

Gadjet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi,

As you can read from the question I am new to projector terminology.
    I am stuck between the sony HS10 and the new Hitachi plasma. I will ring sound and vision tomorrow to see if I can use a projecter for one week and if happy will buy or if not definately buy plasma. I doubt they will agree but if you dont ask....! I am so undecided what to buy it is driving me crazy.

Apreciate any help tremendously,

Phill:confused:

2. Fjorko

Fjorko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Throw is the distance from your projector to the actual screen you are projecting onto.

the further you are away...the bigger the picture will be displayed..but...some models like the Panasonic PTAE300 has a short throw lens that will enable you to have a short distance between the projector and screen but still maintain a reasonable size in the projected picture.

P

3. LJT

LJT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What does throw! mean?
    Well it means you get so frustrated with your pJ's lamp-light fading rapidly, the deterioration due to dust and grime ingress, the fact your panny breaksdown with more unnerring regularity than an atomic clock.
    So dear gadjet. Throw means exactly that. You throw the bleedin thing through the nearest available window of opportunity!!!!!

4. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Enough "projector bashing".

Buy your (small screen :p ) plasma & share your enlightening & uplifting posts with those in the TV forum.

:D

5. LJT

LJT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why enough? Too near the truth for your sponsers. I have to ask you whatever your name is . Are you financed as a moderator and if so by whom? The reason I ask is this. You always feel it necessary to defend certain products. Especially PJ's. Why so sensitive?
    Are you against free speech?.
    Wasn't it you recently who mentioned that your HS10 would probably need a new lamp after 200 hrs!!!.
    Is that rational behaviour, not one squeak of complaint.

I'm begining to get the drift of some sort of 'cover up' taking place here.
    How dare anyone criticise a product that has been costing all of us at least £2000 on average and yet cannot be guaranteed to work past a couple of years at it's origional performance .
    It is a absolute disgrace, and you are seemingly an apologist for this shoddy treatment of customers.
    I wager that this thread will be very short lived and you will have me banned and others for having the tumerity to feel annoyed about the money they've laid out on a product that invariable fails to work.

6. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,975
    I have little doubt that there are some PJs on the market that are less than reliable - evidence here suggests the Panny 100 as being a culprit among others.

However, I am the entirely happy owner of a Sony VW10 which has performed flawlessly (within the constraints of its design) for three years, about 1500 hours.

And, it would be wholly inaccurate to say that other types of device, especially CRT TVs are without their problems.