1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what does this mean?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Hawkson, Nov 8, 2003.

1. Hawkson

Hawkson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    'five stereo analogue inputs and three outputs
    four digital inputs (two optical, two coaxial electrical). It even sports two digital outputs '

if i have a 5.1 system(5 speakers and 1 sub) does that mean i wont be able to connect my 5 speakers to the reciever? It sounds like there are only 3 outputs for 3 speakers, but i have 5.1 speakers. This doesnt make sense

also, if i have a computer i want to connect to my reicever and then to my speakers, would this work?

also(now that i have your attention:)-
    if a review writes that so and so reciever 'X' -that 1-its base doesnt sound good or 2-it isnt loud enough, does this change if i have a self-powered sub(a sub with an amp inside)

will the signal still sound crappy, but the self powered sub will make it louder? or will it be louder and sound better?

finally, i have heard of a pre-out. will i need to connect a self powered sub to a pre-out since it wont need the recievers amplification?

thanks

2. electrolyte

electrolyte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,077
    I can answer your 1st 2 questions....

this means that the receiver can accept stereo signals from 5 different analogue things (eg TV, video, Sky, CD-player, cable) and output that sound to 3 other things (eg CD-writer/recorder, mini-disc, tape player etc). The digital inputs are for receiving stereo and digital sound (eg Dolby digital 5.1 or DTS 5.1) from things like a DVD player, Sky+ box, Playstation 2, X-Box etc. The digital outputs are for outputting the sound digitally to another digital device such as a CD-writer or PC I guess.

Your 5.1 speakers are connected using sockets unrelated to these stereo analogue and digital inputs / outputs - they are connected using speaker sockets!! So , in summary you can connect your 5.1 speakers to your receiver and still connect 5 analogue sound sources and 4 digital sources to it as well.

Yes, it would. Depending on your PC's soundcard you would either connect it from the headphone socket on the soundcard to one of the analogue sockets on the receiver or from the optical output on the soundcard to an optical input on the receiver.

Hope this helps.....

3. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    AFAIK all receivers only have a pre-out for the subwoofer. They do not have an internal amp to drive a sub. Therefore you just connect the receiver to the sub with a phono lead.
    You can get passive subs , but these would be connected to the amp'ed outputs for all 5 speakers and then from the sub to your other speakers.

Mark.

4. Hawkson

Hawkson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    so when a review says a reciever is poor with a subwoofer, it the sub is self powered then i can just ignore that part of the review right?

or will it sound poor regardless of it being self powered

also, i connect the sub to a phono out? what about the bannana plugs that have the lable Sub L and Sub R?

i thought that was for subs
    thanks

5. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    No, I wouldn't think so. I would think they would be refering to the bass management of the receiver ie how the receiver decides on what frequencies are sent to which output and how distorted the bass that is sent to the sub output is.

Yes, any powered sub would be connected to a phono connection that is just a pre-out.
    I don't know of any receivers with powered sub outputs and/or with bannana plug connections. Which receiver is it?
    Are you sure you are not looking at the 'sur L/R' or 'sur b L/R' (or something similar) which would be the 'surround back' outputs (ie 7.1 receiver)?

Mark.