1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What does Loewe Soft picture mode do ?

Discussion in 'TVs' started by leeoh, Apr 30, 2003.

1. leeoh

leeoh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

Any Loewe owners out there know what the difference is between the Normal and Soft picture mode settings ?

Perhaps its my eyes :rolleyes: but can't see any obvious difference between the two modes, but of course know there must be one....

Cheers.:smashin:

2. sombra

sombra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After having seriously considered getting a plasma, my wallet finally decided I would get a CRT. I got a Vitros less than a week ago..and I notice some difference between the normal and soft modes..can't really put my finger on it right now. I'll have to look at it again tonight. Great PQ though.. I'm not helping much here am I? Sorry. :)

3. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +932
    If the Loewe if anything like my JVC then the settings are effectively the same but SOFT has the Sharpness taken down a notch or two. If you play around you should be able to get it to look exactly the same! Actually, it's quite handy if you want to have different settings for different input sources, RGB, Component etc etc.:)

4. evans

evans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    jase

If you go into the service menu of the jvc you can change very easily the settings of soft normal standard.

Unfortunately I cant find anything on the net about making the jvc 32d25 have a sharper picture by changing some settings in the service menu. If you know please let me know

thnks

5. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +932
    I have the Sharpness settings as low as they will go for each of the SOFT/STANDARD/BRIGHT settings (I prefer a softer picture with no Edge Enhancement). But have calibrated with AVIA each one for a different input source, e.g SOFT for RGB, STANDARD for Component and BRIGHT for S-Video.

I don't know which settings in the Service Menu (apart from Sharpness) that would make the picture any sharper for you. Only other option would be to set the SuperDigipure to MAX but for me it adds too much E.E.

6. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Normal mode stores your personal settings for:

Contrast
    Colour
    Brightness
    Sharpness

If you haven't adjusted these and saved them, then Normal will be using the factory defaults.

Soft mode is quite unbelievable in that it actually sharpens the image on my Aconda :eek:. It resets the following to:

Contrast: 50 (factory default - too high)
    Colour: 32
    Brightness: 23
    Sharpness: 3 (too high)

I watch my Aconda on it's lowest Sharpness setting of 1.

You can check the differences for yourself by selecting Soft mode and then looking at the values of the above. Then select Normal mode and check the values again as they will have changed.

7. Buckster

Buckster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +364
    On my Loewe Vitros (2400 chassis) - you can save your personal settings which stores all of the settings, including the selector for soft/normal/ etc.

What I still can't understand - if you set the sharpness/brightness/contrast etc etc in Normal mode, and then exactly the same settings in Soft mode - would you get the same picture ?

When I asked Loewe about it they seemed to say that the soft/normal etc settings were just presets of set brightness etc ?

Any ideas ?

Mark.