What does iTunes DRM actually do?

Discussion in 'iPhone Forum' started by huntere, Jan 2, 2007.

Tags:
  1. huntere

huntere

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +237
    I buy occasionally from iTunes. More so these days as new stuff comes along.

The issues is this. I have a laptop and iTunes account. My partner has iPod linked into my laptop.

So we both buy from iTunes but only using my account.

Soon I wish to purchase my own iPod as well - no probs with that I've seen the instructions on here how to do this.

Anyway while updating my iTunes account info today, I notice its says:
    "Computer Authorisations - One machine is authorised to play music purchased with this account"

What does this mean? What is "one machine". Does it mean if I buy an album from Itunes and load it onto my partners iPod I can't then load it onto mine? Can I rip it to CD?

I am not trying to bypass copyright laws (hence use iTunes) but it seems harsh if we can't share music. After all it if it were a purchased CD we could simply take turns with the disc.

I've seen tools which remove DRM from iTunes purchases but I am not a lover of such programs - I like to do things properly - but not to the point of buying an album for every device I wish to play it on.

I assume its DRM that causes this?

Bit new to all this iTunes stuff so may be completely wrong!

Thanks

2. bouncer

bouncer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    The last I heard about iTunes was that if you buy music your are best then Burning it to a CD then ripping it back to the PC

3. amcluesent

amcluesent

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,167
    <it seems harsh if we can't share music...I like to do things properly <

You are not buying the music. You are buying a license to listen for a period and on what terms the DRM owner decides (possibly retrospectively). The terms & conditions of a CD state the same, but the technology doesn't allow it to be enfored. DRMed downloads are entirely at the mercy of the license holder. You pays your money and takes your choice.

4. Member 79251

Member 79251
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,187
  5. waynertron

waynertron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Hi,

One machine means the computer which you use to download songs from the iTunes store, and sync with your iPod. You can have up to 5 computers linked to your apple store account at the same time. You should also see a 'deauthorise this computer' option in the iTunes menu's somewhere. This allows you to remove that comuter from the list if you want to get rid of it, which you should remember to do so that you don't run out of licences.

This means that items purchased from iTunes can only be played on (and synced with) authorised computers. You can load that music onto as many iPods as you want and you can burn it to a CD as many times as you want.

So the answer is, yes you can buy an album and load it onto both of your iPods and burn it to data or audio CD's.

The iTunes DRM isn't so bad :)

W.