what does it all mean?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Marc, Nov 2, 2005.

1. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,101
    I've been looking at speakers today because i want to upgrade my current ones when i upgrade my amp/dvd player to the denon 1960 and denon 1920 respectively, but i'm finding it hard from looking at all the different ones available to know what would be best for me.. :confused:

i'm confused by the terminology as much as anything, as i don't really have any idea what difference the frequency levels and wattage of speakers/subs does and if it's as important as it looks.. is 100hz too high a low end frequency for a satellite speaker? Does a 125w sub have any benefit over a 100w one.. maybe the system i've got already (eltax movieboxx 5.1) is actually quite good and i'm just configuring it all wrong.. :rolleyes:

Is there a good guideline as to what frequency levels/wattage your fronts/rears/sides, centres and subwoofers should have? I want my sound to be amazing, and i don't have the benefit of flitting around all over the place testing different systems, so in the end i'll most likely be blind buying, so i'd at least like to feel like a bit less of a noob before i do. :lesson:

I want to get a 6.1 or 7.1 system for £300-£400ish which I'll mainly be using for watching DVD movies, but also for playing PC/PS2 games and listening to music. DVD's are the priority but i want it to be a good all-round system.

I know these threads have a tendency to vanish without a response, but i hope someone out there can give me a bit of info, or at least point me in the direction of somewhere that will explain it all for me.. :lease:
    Thanks in advance

Marc

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    The wattage of the speakers should be roughly in line with the amp but it doesn't have to be that precise.

Bass is non directional if deep enough but some can hear the direction at around 80Hz and if you are in that category you would want satellites that go down to at least 80Hz with the sub taking over below that.

I can''t advise on what to listen to but many seem to be speaking highly of the Canton speakers in the powerbuys here.

3. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,101
    Thanks Ian, i've taken a look in the power buys and the Canton 150QX look very interesting. Can you just let me know if i have a handle on things..?

With the Denon AVR 1906 (put my order in now, it's arriving tomorrow :D ) outputting 80w per channel, and the canton movie 150qx handling up to 120w, am i right in thinking they'll never be stretched to the point of popping etc but will still have enough fed to them to hear everything as it should be heard?

Also the canton 150qx's handle frequencies as low as 45hz (which is the lowest i've seen for any satellite speakers), does this then mean that i can set the sub to kick in at about 50-55hz, to get a good range of highs to lows, as i've always been loathe to have a sub hovering at about 100hz as i do with my current speakers, cos as you said in your last post, i can hear the direction.

4. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,592
    Hello Marc

What it means is that the Marketing men have taken charge - looking at a Brochure/Spec sheet simple tells you how effective the manufacturers marketing dept are at producing nice brochures!

Some of the most technologically advanced loudspeakers ever produced sound horrible.

These days when folk are trying to cram six or more loudspeakers into a living space and somehow spend the same amount of money they would have spent on just a stereo pair in the past your just as well having a look to see what's visually appealing and then having a quick listen to ensure they produce a sound that's too your liking.

Personally if I was contemplating a £300.00 spend I'd rather have a decent sounding 'Pair' of front speakers and then add in the rest of the surround sound package as and when I could afford it.

Possibly your 'old' speakers don't need to be consigned to the dustbin just yet and can be used for surround duties when in movie mode and concentrate on a decent quality Front Left and Right pair that double up as a decent HiFi loudspeaker.

Best regards

Joe

PS Mark Fleischmann's book 'Practical Home Theater: A Guide to Video and Audio Systems' is a good place to start if you want to learn about the kit your shopping for.

5. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    i agree on the getting a decent stereo pair first, then add the surround ones later, i did this, instead of spending £1,000 on the whole lot i've spent nearly £3,000 but over 2 years on my speakers (incl sub) and im well happy i did!....much more enjoyable than what i would have got for a £1,000 all in........and the nice part is it means you get to buy yourself presents every so often...lol